Need testers for new editor

I think the first would make more sense in most cases. = $.02

The two solutions being exclusive, you can't have it both way.

It's either

A > B > C --> A > C after B is deleted

or

A > B > C --> A > none after B is deleted.

I was thinking something along the lines of when you delete a unit that is a link in a chain of upgrades (A>B>C), that you get a some sort of pop-up message in the editor where you can select to either to have A not upgrade, or A > C, or even A > some other unit altogether.

Of course I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if that's possible, or even if it is how much time and effort involved that would involve.

I was thinking something along the lines of when you delete a unit that is a link in a chain of upgrades (A>B>C), that you get a some sort of pop-up message in the editor where you can select to either to have A not upgrade, or A > C, or even A > some other unit altogether.

Of course I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if that's possible, or even if it is how much time and effort involved that would involve.
In theory yes, but if you delete 25 units at the same time, it can be annoying if you have to answer the question 25 times. Especially in this situation

A > B > C > D > E > F

You want to delete B, C, D and E.

If automated, you'll get A > F or A > none.

If with confirmation, it will say
"You are deleting B, do you want A to update to C?"
Then
"You are deleting C, do you want A to update to D?" etc.

And if you ave
A1 > B, A2 > B, A3 > B, and then B > C

Deleting B would trigger the question for A1, A2, A3....

That's quite boring for the user.

how about a filter allowing you to search for any unit that upgrades to B? then you could change them to what you wanted before you deleted it? Although I am still in favour of going A>C by default.

I'd be in favour of A>C by default personally. What would be useful is to have an easy way of viewing the upgrade chains without having to click through each individual unit. In your civilopedia editor, you could view all the entries that linked to the one you were working on. Something similar would be useful.

I think that you were planning to allow this already if I recall correctly. :)

When do you think you'll need testers again?

I What would be useful is to have an easy way of viewing the upgrade chains without having to click through each individual unit.
Something like that?

When do you think you'll need testers again?
I'll definitely release something for Christmas, so all the little CFCers have at least one virtual gift under the Christmas tree.

I'm not sure yet of the contents.

It will include for sure the units and the techs fully functionnal, and perhaps some other pages.

Something exactly like that.

I think that as long as you can easily track what units upgrade to what it's fine to leave the A>C upgrades remain in place. The only problem would be if you lost track of what's upgrading to what, but the system you have should avoid that.

I'll look forward to playing around with the editor at Christmas, I hope the lack of a tree in my home doesn't prevent me from receiving this gift. :)

I'll look forward to playing around with the editor at Christmas, I hope the lack of a tree in my home doesn't prevent me from receiving this gift. :)
Sorry, no tree, no gift, no software to test.

When you start the new editor, it checks you have a tree in the house, and shutdown if it can't find one. But don't worry, you get a message "..\Tree.ini file is missing, the program will now exit".

Today I've added a little new features that could be useful if you want to make civ specific tech tree.

In the advance page, when you select a tech, a list shows which civ will be able to get the selected tech.

Here, the "Italian order of the hospital" tech requires "Italy", a non era tech that only the Italy civ has as a starting tech.

Of course, you can then apply a filter, to list only the technologies which are available to France, for instance.

And obviously, the "Italian order of the hospital" will not be listed, while the "French Order of the Temple" is.

Wow, fantastic job, Steph. Very usefull
Why is "mutual protection pacts" in red?
Will you make a csv export for the unit page? I think it's very interesting to have a listing of all the units on a single sheet (excel sheet for example) and it will way a good way to compare unit listings during the testing of your editor

Another small update.

I have added the icon in the list. It took me some times because C# doesn't support PCX, so I had to add the format first :(.

I have a small bug here: there is a line on the left, but not with every unit 32, and I don't see why.

Also, with the icons it is much slower to load for a big mod (like mine with 826x7327 pixels units_32 file!

So I'll probably modify it a bit, to make the use of icons optional. It will probably be started without icon, and then a command in the menu will allow adding icons.

I really hate it when you start a game, an after one our you get the dreaded "file is missing, the game will now exit".

So... When you have finished adding your units...

Use the Check Files menu. It can be a long process with many units and many errors (I'll try to optimize it later).

When it is finished, all the units for which at least one problem has been found is listed in red.

Now, if when you click on an entry, you will see the problem in a side window

It can be because one of the file referenced in the PediaIcons can't be found.

Or because you forgot the entry in the pedia icons.

You will probably have noticed that the two last screenshots have a lot of empty space?

That's because I will add details about the ini files there!

Top Bottom