Early (Terracotta) war anyone?

sschmalz

Warlord
I even searched the forums and came up with very little, at least since it's been changed to effectively double your army instead of provide culture.

It appears to be achievable on immortal without too much headache, not sure about deity. To me it seems like it could be very good for an early war, giving you almost more units than you need. Of course the problem with that - and the reason I've not built it yet - is the significant increase in gpt associated with doubling your army.

So, what's the verdict? Terracotta good or bad idea? Or perhaps the better question is: under what circumstances is it a good idea?

I even searched the forums and came up with very little, at least since it's been changed to effectively double your army instead of provide culture.

It appears to be achievable on immortal without too much headache, not sure about deity. To me it seems like it could be very good for an early war, giving you almost more units than you need. Of course the problem with that - and the reason I've not built it yet - is the significant increase in gpt associated with doubling your army.

So, what's the verdict? Terracotta good or bad idea? Or perhaps the better question is: under what circumstances is it a good idea?

Maybe Germany could make it work; higher diversity of units (Brutes+Hand Axe) in addition to the reduced maintenance cost. Unfortunately Germany is the one CIv you probably aren't hurting for units.

Terracotta is an awesome wonder for multiplayer.
Also, it is great for Venice because they must wage war a lot anyways and they tend to have a production surplus early while everyone else builds settlers.

If you can time it right when you're upgrading archers and warriors and maybe have a catapult mixed in you could get half a dozen units but it's such a gamble I think it's better to just pump out the necessary units yourself. The AI go for it a lot because it's both offensive and defensive. I've only successfully pulled it off with Assyria once myself. I wish they added a side benefit like more culture or maintenance free units to make the unit variety less important.

You know what could be cool is if as a side effect it raised max unit supply I'm always running into that with Germany and Vernice.

Okay, well I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy that the cost of doubling your army is crippling at that early stage. Didn't know if anyone had a way of making it both beneficial and affordable. I agree Germany, Venice, or Zulu would be the only viable civs to use it.

Last time I built it I only got 1 single unit. The time before that I got 2...

I don't know it it's a bug or something but when this happens it's without any doupt the most worthless wonder in the game.

Terracotta is an awesome wonder for multiplayer.
Also, it is great for Venice because they must wage war a lot anyways and they tend to have a production surplus early while everyone else builds settlers.

I'm usually building Cargo Ships and Caravans with Venice around that time, or if I have time to build a wonder in that era with Venice, it will be the Colossus.

Last time I built it I only got 1 single unit. The time before that I got 2...

I don't know it it's a bug or something but when this happens it's without any doupt the most worthless wonder in the game.

Well it's one of each type. If you time it right you can get a spearman, warrior, archer, comp. bow, chariot archer and maybe a swordsman, horseman and catapult from it but you have to be able to build all those before you finish it and beat the other civs to it. Kind of a pain in the neck and not exactly worth the risk. I think those last three are tough to sneak in but the first 5 are pretty easy to make sure you have.

It's definitely best for Germany since it's more likely you can add a brute and axe-thrower in there. On Deity Bismarck might have been able to snag a horseman and swordsman from a camp without the tech. On top of that he'll be able to handle the maintenance better. It could net 10 units for Germany with some luck but I think you could easily get 7 with Germany. Of course 10 at that early point would cripple even Bismarck's economy. I think it should come with some maintenance free unit slots like the Freedom tenant. Then it'd be something any warmonger would want to beeline.

Talking about this makes me want to experiment some with Germany

I used it as Japan. Try to finish math while its building and buy a catapult. Also have an archer and a comp bow already built. And a spear, and a warrior, a scout and a chariot...

I think at the very least you should be able to get an extra scout, warrior, archer and composite. I think that pretty much pays for the terracotta hammers already. If you have horses you can definitely rush buy a chariot archer since its on the same tech path. If you went for bronze working, you can also get a spear.

Well it's one of each type. If you time it right you can get a spearman, warrior, archer, comp. bow, chariot archer and maybe a swordsman, horseman and catapult from it but you have to be able to build all those before you finish it and beat the other civs to it. Kind of a pain in the neck and not exactly worth the risk. I think those last three are tough to sneak in but the first 5 are pretty easy to make sure you have.

It's definitely best for Germany since it's more likely you can add a brute and axe-thrower in there. On Deity Bismarck might have been able to snag a horseman and swordsman from a camp without the tech. On top of that he'll be able to handle the maintenance better. It could net 10 units for Germany with some luck but I think you could easily get 7 with Germany. Of course 10 at that early point would cripple even Bismarck's economy. I think it should come with some maintenance free unit slots like the Freedom tenant. Then it'd be something any warmonger would want to beeline.

I had 4 units availible but didn't get them. One spearman, thats all. No arsher, no catapult, no chariot.

I'm sure It's a bug, but It's happend to me twise.

Edit: OH! Now i get it. You have to actually have the unit. I totally missed this part. I feel stupid.

Fun though, time to build Terracotta again!!

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

So I just played around with Germany and Terracotta and got a bit of a weird result. I had both a hard built archer and a converted barb archer. When the wonder completed I received two archers. Not sure if this is consistent across all barb units but at least for archers it appears to count them as a different unit than the standard archer.

So I just played around with Germany and Terracotta and got a bit of a weird result. I had both a hard built archer and a converted barb archer. When the wonder completed I received two archers. Not sure if this is consistent across all barb units but at least for archers it appears to count them as a different unit than the standard archer.

Barbarian archers are one range strength weaker then the standard buildable archer.

Terracotta is really solid in our MP games, maybe the best wonder. Even if you dont eliminate oponent with units you get they will surely wreck havoc on his economy and development.

Regular archers have combat strength (essentially their defense strength when attacked by melee or mounted units) of 5 and ranged combat strength of 7, while barbarian archers have combat strength of 4 and ranged combat strength of 7.

Regular archers have combat strength (essentially their defense strength when attacked by melee or mounted units) of 5 and ranged combat strength of 7, while barbarian archers have combat strength of 4 and ranged combat strength of 7.

Are there other differences with barb units like the horseman and swordsman?

Regular horsemen and barb horsemen have the same movement (4) and combat strength (12). Same with swordsmen (movement 2 and combat strength 14).

If you want to explore other unit pairs (barb machine guns, anyone?), you can rummage in the BNW CIV5Units.xml: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\Units\CIV5Units.xml

Top Bottom