New Unit: Mayan Ah Kuy (October 1, 2004)

utahjazz7

Deity

This unit here was originally requested by Dom Pedro II, and it is based on his concept art, which can be found in the thread requesting the unit. In that thread there is also some information which could be used to create a CivilaPedia entry. DPII also suggested the name of Ah-Kuy, but I wasn't sure if CivIII would accept the hyphen so I altered it to Ah Kuy. Apparently it means warrior.

The sounds are linked to the Gallic Swordsman, but I'm not sure if they fit or not. I haven't tested the unit in-game, so if there are problems of it not functioning properly let me know please. I did notice in FLICster that the unit--like most units--looks best with darker colors. The really bright colors don't look so good with the orange, red, and yellow parts of the unit. Also, the unit is sized properly, I believe. He will seem taller than most units though, because he has that orange, carved animal head on top of his own head.If you want to nit-pic, just know that it won't change anything. :)

Download.

new pediaIcon

Yes! great job :)

We can never have enough of those good ol' Mesoamerican units (And it's about time the Maya got a truly unique one)

Thank you!

Ah-some... :D

Right on, utah!

(Can anybody tell me why the Javelin Thrower isn't a good Mayan UU, and if it isn't, what I should use it for instead?)

The javelin thrower is more of an all inclusive Mesoamerican unit than it is distinctly mayan. And so it's best that all Mesoamerican civs get it. I'd say the javelin thrower would be best as an archer replacement.

Thank you all for the kind words! :D

Fixer07 said:
Great unit!

Could you tell us whats next??

Well, I'm going to try something new. Well, no, that's not entirely true. I'm working on a Germanic Swordsman unit. But, instead of using the Poser4 male model as the base figure, I'm going to use Kinboat's latest paperdoll figure.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I miss the way you used to do your Civilipedia pictures Utahjazz...think your magnificient work with the Inti Warrior... my god

Hmm . . . what do you mean? What's different about them? Tell me about the good ole days. :)

cool stuff :D

utahjazz7 said:
Hmm . . . what do you mean? What's different about them? Tell me about the good ole days. :)

Well, the figure was closer(bigger), and positioned so you could see all the great detail with the unit. Your Ah Kuy Civilipedia Large would do well to use this method, plus I'd make it so the shield's design is visible.

Your Inti Warrior is the best Civilipedia Large I've ever seen I think. Kinboat's work is pretty close though...

Well, in an effort to appease Sword_of_Geddon, I have made a new pediaIcon for this unit. Hopefully, this one is better than the more static orignal.

new pediaIcon

Top Bottom