Age of the Republic Scenario

iNDUSTRIALg0D

Warlord
AOTR takes place from 270 B.C. to 23 A.D. It is a scenario of Rome's Republican days. During this time Rome expanded more than it ever would again. In turn they conquered Carthage, Gaul and the Iberians, but Romanization of the ancient world was not finished. Rome then turned its eyes east at the declining macedonians and the greek city states and set upon ruling the mediterranean.

NOTE: THIS IS THE NEW VERSION, FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE DOWNLOADED THIS SCENARIO BEFORE 7/01/05.

19 CIVS:

Rome - Medium Power
Carthage - Major Power
Seleucia - Major Power
Egypt - Major Power
Macedonia - Medium Power
Greece - Medium Power
Media - Medium Power
Armenia - Minor Power
Bithynia - Medium Power
Galatia - Minor Power
Thracia - Medium Power
Illyria - Minor Power
Dacia - Minor Power
Numidia - Minor Power
Iberia - Barbarian Power
Gaul - Barbarian Power
Germania - Barbarian Power
Scythia - Barbarian Power
Britannia - Good Luck

7 GOVTS

Anarchy
Despotism - Iberia, Gaul, Britannia, Germania, Scythia
Tribal council - Numidia, Illyria, Dacia, Thracia, Galatia
Monarchy - Macedonia, Seleucia, Egypt, Bithynia, Armenia, Media
Oligarchy - Carthage
Republic - Rome, Greece
Imperialism

16 UU'S

Garrison - Rome
Legionary - Rome
War Elephant - Carthage
Hoplite - Greece
Longswordsman - Dacia
Companion Cavalry - Macedonia
Pirate Galley - Illyria
Armenian Rider - Armenia
Bithynian Galley - Bithynia
Gallic Swordsman - Galatia
Gallic Warrior - Gaul
Germanic Spearman - Germania
Slinger - Iberia
Thracian Infantry - Thracia
Pictish Warrior - Britannia

6 SHARED UU'S

Elephant - Carthage, Seleucia, Media
Phalanx - Macedonia, Seleucia, Egypt
Camel Rider - Numidia, Egypt, Media
Numidian Cavalry - Carthage, Numidia
Swordsman - Iberia, Germania, Scythia
Spearman - Iberia, Gaul, Scythia

7 WONDERS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD (already constructed)

The Pyramids - Memphis (Egypt)
The Hanging Gardens - Babylon (Seleucia)
The Great Lighthouse - Alexandria (Egypt)
The Colossus - Rhodus (Greece)
The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus - Phaselis (Seleucia)
The Statue of Zeus - Demetrias (Macedonia)
The Temple of Artemis - Ephesus (Seleucia)

CREDITS

UNITS: Thamis and Watorrey's great units from the The Ancient Mediterranean mod
INSPIRATION: A shareware game called Imperial Conquest, without which i never could've figured out out the city placement, populations, military sizes, and treasuries.

This is a scenario i created a long time ago but never got around to finishing until now. If anyone is interested in this scenario and would like to help me further expand upon it, i would be appreciate the help. Any questions or feedback, drop me a line or leave a post.

DOWNLOAD HERE: Age of the Republic (21.3 mb).

SAVE TO YOUR CONQUESTS\SCENARIOS FOLDER. WHEN YOU UNZIP DON'T EXTRACT IT INTO ANY NEW FOLDER THAT THE UNZIPPER MIGHT TRY TO CREATE. JUST MAKE SURE IT IS EXTRACTED TO THE CONQUESTS\SCENARIO FOLDER. AND MAKE SURE THE BIQ AND THE AOTR FOLDER ARE RIGHT ALONG SIDE EACH OTHER.

THIS SCENARIO MAKE TAKE A LITTLE BIT TO LOAD (5-10 MINS). SO SIT BACK AND WATCH SOME GOOD HEALTHY TV FOR ONCE. OR SPEND A LITTLE TIME READING THE INCLUDED README AS IT EXPLAINS SOME THINGS IMPORTANT TO GAMEPLAY.

terrain. yes yours will look like this, unless of course you don't like it. then all you have to do is delete the terrain folder.

Attachments

• age.jpg
    age.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 3,120
screenie. i forgot what it is. but you'll figure it out.

Attachments

• age2.jpg
    age2.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 2,373
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Attachments

• age3.jpg
    age3.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 2,203
i'm supposed to comment on something here right? too bad.

Attachments

• age4.jpg
    age4.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 2,086
[ nothing to see here folks, move along ]

the seventh wonder of the ancient world is the Temple of Artemis, not the Oracle. i think sicily is a little to close to the italian mainland. another minor problem-you have carthage's capital as carthago, not carthage as it should be.

pazza said:
the seventh wonder of the ancient world is the Temple of Artemis, not the Oracle. i think sicily is a little to close to the italian mainland. another minor problem-you have carthage's capital as carthago, not carthage as it should be.
sorry that was a mistake in writing. i actually did have the t. of a. as a wonder not the oracle... and carthago is the ancient name for carthage. in fact i should've named rome, roma.

victory point locations now added.

if anyone knows how to fix leader name bug (the same leader name appears for all civs) drop me a line.

if anyone knows how to reveal less of the map (fog of war?) drop me a line. i've worked with it but it revealed the same amount of the map to everybody even though i specified the active player (set active player button).

if anyone can help me with fixing the tech tree clutter, i'd appreciate it much.

Looks pretty good!

I would suggest that you separate Sicily from Italy, it would give the Romans too much of an advantage in taking the island as it is.

Also, it would be very good if you could separate the Greeks. You can look at how Pinktalapia did it in RFRE. There were about 3 civs on the Greek mainland in addition to a Western Greek civ which had the western colonies.

Gunner said:
Looks pretty good!

I would suggest that you separate Sicily from Italy, it would give the Romans too much of an advantage in taking the island as it is.

Also, it would be very good if you could separate the Greeks. You can look at how Pinktalapia did it in RFRE. There were about 3 civs on the Greek mainland in addition to a Western Greek civ which had the western colonies.

although sicily is connected to italy, the romans would have to tear through messana (greek) as it is blocking the entrance to sicily by the mainland. and i believe that is exactly what the romans did. and quite honestly i'm not very interested in making any region harder to take. this is a fast paced scenario and i would rather have quick sieges than long drawn out conflicts.

as far as separating the greeks. although technically more accurate as they were very independent, i felt the greeks had it hard enough being most of their cities were so scattered and there was a sort of alliance between them already, so i felt that this scenario represented them well enough as a single civ. perhaps i should have called them the independent greeks and allies. macedonia, illyria, and thracia also inhabit the greek mainland as well.

for all those that would complain about the lack of uu's, i am now in the process of research so that each civ will have a uu in the next version. just gimme a little time. finding the special unique military unit for nations such as armenia is a little tough.

Grohan said:
Scenario looks great!
I'll check it out when I have time.

BTW are all factions playable?
yeah all 19 civs are playable.

you will find some have a more sizeable advantage over others: seleucid, carthage, and egypt.

some have a moderate advantage: rome, media, and bithynia.

the rest have a slight to nill advantage.

and the barbarian tribes: iberia, gaul, germania, and scythia, have huge/large numbers of cities but are not allowed to build the more advanced military units: catapult, heavy infantry, heavy cavalry, tiremes (iberia and britannia can build curraghs; gaul, germania, and scythia can't do any seafaring), archers (they can build the lesser bowman though).

another thing you will notice is that not all have civ's have uu's. people will probably complain about that. i am currently in the research process trying to improve upon this, though.

i have now compiled a full list of updates that will be incorporated over time into the next couple of versions. if i could get some help with some research links or advice on using the editor it would greatly speed up the process.

-leader name bug (all the leaders have the same name, Claudius)
-more strategic resources (it's gets pretty hairy when you only have one source of iron and the stupid seleucids just took it)
-tech tree clutter (can somebody please help me with this)
-customizing some civilopedia entries
-add fog of war/reveal less of the map (hasn't worked out too good so far in my attempts in the editor)
-remove locked alliances from bithynia/galatia, media/armenia, and thracia/dacia (would remove carthage/numidia but that would isolate western carthaginian cities)
-remove chariots, war chariots, and immortals (these units are just out of time)
-add movement cost of 2 in desert
-add camel riders to egypt, numidia, seleucia, and media
-uu's for all
-rename celtic warrior to pictish warrior
-rename teutonic warrior to berserk
-dacian uu: great swordsman
-illyria uu: pirate galley (wondering if i should make this a hidden nationality unit)
-also add pirate galley as barbarian unit
-iberian uu: slinger
-scythian uu: horse archer (same as scythian rider except has bombard capabilities)
-thracian uu: thracian infantry? (still fuzzy over this one)
-still need uu's for the following: bithynia, galatia, armenia, media, seleucia, and ptolemaic empires (latter two will be tough, these are greek empires but what special units would they employ from their territories)

if anybody can help me out with some links, please drop me a line

sabrewolf said:
how is this coming along?
as of now i am in the process adding all the new uu's. pretty soon all the civs will have uu's now. some new ones i added are: great swordsman, pirate galley, horse archer, slinger, pictish warrior, and berserk. i am also looking to add a camel rider available for numidia, egypt, seleucia, and media. i removed the immortal and the chariots, mostly because these units became obsolete by the time 270 b.c. rolled around. finding graphics for these units is easy enough but i hate rewriting text files. i fixed the leader name bug. no one i've talked to yet really knows how to create a fog of war that is different for every player so i'll probably just leave the map revealed.

if anyone out there is interested in working together on this scenario or maybe wants help with a similar one i would be very interested in merging ideas and working together on something bigger than this thing. drop me a line people.

You could look at RFRE to get some ideas. The link is in my sig.

For units, do you have Rome Total War? You could just look through the types of units those countries have in that game to get ideas.

Top Bottom