Age of the Republic Scenario

Gunner said:
You could look at RFRE to get some ideas. The link is in my sig.

For units, do you have Rome Total War? You could just look through the types of units those countries have in that game to get ideas.
yes that is a good idea. dammit, now i gotta redownload rfre. unfortunately, it probably won't help me out that much. specifically i gotta have uu's for the following civs: media, armenia, bithynia, galatia, seleucid empire, and the ptolemaic empire. so seeing as rfre doesn't have those civs (specifically) it probably won't help me out 100%. but will give it a looksie anyway

While some of the civ you cited are in RFRE (Armenia, Bithynia, Seleucids, Ptolemies), I indeed don't think it could help you much for UUs. If you wish to work together and have time to put into it, beside your own mod, I would be glad working with you on scenarios using RFRE rules (e.g. Punic Wars, or Crisis of the 3rd Century, etc.).

I wished I had time to play your mod and give you feedback: it looks good. I am happy to have been first here, otherwise I would probably not have delivered RFRE at all and rather stick to your version :)

UUs :

media : Media Atropatene I guess ? No idea.
armenia : I think Cataphract can be OK as Armenia used them alongside Parthians (albeit a bit later).
bithynia : no idea, maybe some ships... ??
galatia : some kind of warrior/swordsman (they were famous for that)
seleucid empire : about the reputation I'd say War elephants as these contributed to the strength of the Selucids after they were given by India. They even appaeared on Seleucid coins. But they were not so many and did not play a role for a very long time.
ptolemaic empire : you could use either Jewish mercenaries (many there and then, but there were also quite a few in the Seleucid army) or indigenous phalanx. They saved the day at Raphia against the Seleucids in 218 BC. On the other hand they asked for more "representation" (word to be taken with caution for that era). If you want an early GA you can give them an Egyptian galley when they controlled most of the Agean sea.

This scenario looks great, though I must admit that I tweeked it a bit. I turned fog of war off, and playing Rome, I just traded world maps with all the other countries, making a little money in the process. I believe this will take care of your problem with too much of the map being exposed. I also tweeked road movement and sea movement as the turns are in years, it would take 20 years just to send a ship to Alexandria, and since in reality it took anywhere from 3 to 6 months to make the trip from Tarentum to Alexandria and back. So I gave Triremes a movement of 50, and the Trireme II a movement of 60. Playing a couple turns, I found out this works just fine. I gave land units a movement of 20 on the roads as the old way it would take 10+ years just to get from southern Italy to the north. I also gave the Romans the equivalent of Art of War, as the Romans essentially created the first professionally trained army in history. All my modifications didn't really detract from the playability of the game, as I immediately invaded Gaul, and was only able to take one city easily. After a few turns, I was pretty much at war with most of the eastern Mediterranian, starting with the Seulutians, whom tried to extort money out of me, which naturally I refused. And finally, I switched the icon for roman garrison to the pikeman, as it is confusing having the legion and the garrison with the same icon. Otherwise, this is a good scenario, and I hope you find my modifications helpful.

divinci420 said:
This scenario looks great, though I must admit that I tweeked it a bit. I turned fog of war off, and playing Rome, I just traded world maps with all the other countries, making a little money in the process. I believe this will take care of your problem with too much of the map being exposed. I also tweeked road movement and sea movement as the turns are in years, it would take 20 years just to send a ship to Alexandria, and since in reality it took anywhere from 3 to 6 months to make the trip from Tarentum to Alexandria and back. So I gave Triremes a movement of 50, and the Trireme II a movement of 60. Playing a couple turns, I found out this works just fine. I gave land units a movement of 20 on the roads as the old way it would take 10+ years just to get from southern Italy to the north. I also gave the Romans the equivalent of Art of War, as the Romans essentially created the first professionally trained army in history. All my modifications didn't really detract from the playability of the game, as I immediately invaded Gaul, and was only able to take one city easily. After a few turns, I was pretty much at war with most of the eastern Mediterranian, starting with the Seulutians, whom tried to extort money out of me, which naturally I refused. And finally, I switched the icon for roman garrison to the pikeman, as it is confusing having the legion and the garrison with the same icon. Otherwise, this is a good scenario, and I hope you find my modifications helpful.
appreciate the recommendations. i'm glad somebody actualy played it and wrote about it. about the movement, this was definitely something i had thought about. in fact originally i had 750 some turns and each one at about 4 months a piece to more accurately portray movement. i was also considering increasing the movement rate as well, but felt that would give the defenders an unfair disadvantage as attackers would absolutely run over them before they had a chance to mobilize and defend. but you are right, nonetheless, about the it taking forever to move units. i will keep the 1/2 movement rate on roads (as i feel it is more accurate) but i will definitely increase the movement rate for all units and double the amount of turns so that each is at 6 mos. a piece. be feel to modify this scenario and the next one any way you want. i probably won't be adding any wonders to the next version, though, just because i feel it detracts from the point of the scenario. and i felt the Romans didn't need sun tzu's academy because they were the only civ i gave barracks in all their cities to. if there is anything else anybody else recommends drop a line.

I think you can do something about the time the turn represents, in another map I played, (escape the zombie island 2) KingArthur is able to change the date to 2am, Day1 and as turn goes on it will change to 4 am..and different days. What I am saying is that you can make a turn equal to a specific number of days and it'll be more realistic.

Cloner4000 said:
I think you can do something about the time the turn represents, in another map I played, (escape the zombie island 2) KingArthur is able to change the date to 2am, Day1 and as turn goes on it will change to 4 am..and different days. What I am saying is that you can make a turn equal to a specific number of days and it'll be more realistic.
don't know about that. i do thinks its possible to represent turns in days, but i think it would require editing the ini file (something i dont much about). the editor only allows you to use weeks, months, and years. besides that i really see no point in making the scenario turns into days as the length of the scenario covers 293 years and that would make an insanely long scenario. rome could conquer the mediterranean 50 times in that amount of time. so i think i will settle for 6 months at a time. appreciate the input though.

Cloner4000 said:
don't know about that. i do thinks its possible to represent turns in days, but i think it would require editing the ini file (something i dont much about). the editor only allows you to use weeks, months, and years. besides that i really see no point in making the scenario turns into days as the length of the scenario covers 293 years and that would make an insanely long scenario. rome could conquer the mediterranean 50 times in that amount of time. so i think i will settle for 6 months at a time. appreciate the input though.

the full list of uu's in the next version:

rome: legionary, garrison
carthage: war elephant, numidian cavalry
seleucia: phalanx, elephant
egypt: phalanx, camel rider
macedonia: phalanx, macedonian cavalry
independent greece and allies: hoplite
media: elephant, camel rider
bithynia: bithynian galley
armenia: armenian rider
galatia: gallic swordsman
thracia: thracian infantry
dacia: longswordsman
illyria: pirate galley
numidia: numidian cavalry, camel rider
iberia: slinger
gaul: gallic warrior
germania: germanic spearman
scythia: horse archer
britannia: pictish warrior

movement rates will be increased for all units and turns will be set at 6 mos. a piece. attack and defense strengths of units will be increased with the emphasis on attack strengths. Other changs include removal of immortals and chariot units as these become obsolete by 270 b.c., a new terrain model, and plenty of new unit models thanks to TAM. Because of the added data I have added to this mod (yes it is officially a mod now) I'm gonna need a new place to upload these files. Does anybody know of any good free sites that let you up upload some decent size files?

LouLong said:
For Dacia Utah made a Falxman that could be used as Dacian UU.
i just took a look at that unit. looks a little too piratey, and there's not much too his costume. solid colored pants and a bandana don't quite fit the Dacian warrior. Besides, I already researched up a uu (actually I just copied Thamis' Dacian Great Swordsman).

Other than that I am happy to say I am nearly done with the next version of this scenario. Should be only a day or two more left. And I am happy to say, you will notice a big change in the unit graphics. in fact there are very few of the standard unit graphics left. i was greatly dissatisfied in the standard unit graphics.

i have finally decided to not increase the turn ratio to 6 mos. a piece and leave it at a full year. this was mostly based on the fact that i felt 292 turns was a little more reasonable than near 600.

to more balance it out, i increased the movement ratio in a big way. although not as much as Divinci420 would have liked (20 points for a foot soldier i felt was insane, even though it is more accurate). i have settled for 2 for catapults; 3 for heavy infantry and the like; 4 for light infantry, archers, and the like; 5 for elephants and camel riders; 6 for light cavalry; 8 for heavy cavalry and the like; 9 for scouts; and on average about 30 for seafaring vessels. movement rates for roads are back to 1/3, so if you think the ships are too fast, go ahead and think about tripling the movement rate of light cavalry. as a rule, ships should always be faster than land units. all this has to be taken into consideration of a years time frame. although it is not entirely accurate (that would require movement rates of 20 for foot units), it does help speed up the war, making a fast and furious type of scenario, with the emphasis on kill or be killed.

Gunner said:
This is kinda nitpicky, but instead of Macedonian cavalry you could have Companion cavalry.

Is there any reason why you can't upload the files here?

macedonian cavalry to companion cavalry will do.

cant uploads files cuz it says the zips are too big and it wont allow anything greater than 2 mbs. anyone know of any other sites that will let you upload some decent size files for free?

should've been able to post the new version today, but for some reason the editor portrays territorial borders differently than in the actual game. this will cause me to have to move some units and forts around as well as some resources probably.

i posted the new screenie up on the first page. note the new "cooler" terrain.

iNDUSTRIALg0D said:
to more balance it out, i increased the movement ratio in a big way. although not as much as Divinci420 would have liked (20 points for a foot soldier i felt was insane, even though it is more accurate). i have settled for 2 for catapults; 3 for heavy infantry and the like; 4 for light infantry, archers, and the like; 5 for elephants and camel riders; 6 for light cavalry; 8 for heavy cavalry and the like; 9 for scouts;

Correct me if I am wrong :), but I believe there will be a serious negative backside to this. Since all units will be considered by Civ as "fast unit", cavalry units (the real fast units) will lose their main advantage, which is the capacity to retreat when losing a fight against slow (1 move) units.

pinktilapia said:
Correct me if I am wrong :), but I believe there will be a serious negative backside to this. Since all units will be considered by Civ as "fast unit", cavalry units (the real fast units) will lose their main advantage, which is the capacity to retreat when losing a fight against slow (1 move) units.
not entirely sure, but i was under the impression that units with the ability to retreat were all land units that weren't marked foot unit or wheeled unit.

iNDUSTRIALg0D said:
not entirely sure, but i was under the impression that units with the ability to retreat were all land units that weren't marked foot unit or wheeled unit.

Interesting. Let me know if you find out.

To upload your stuff, put them in zip and PM Thunderfall. He will inform you how to proceed to bring up your file via FTP.

pinktilapia said:
Interesting. Let me know if you find out.

To upload your stuff, put them in zip and PM Thunderfall. He will inform you how to proceed to bring up your file via FTP.
guess, i was wrong. good thing though, foot units aren't retreating, but neither are cavalry. hmm.. must figure out the ability for retreat.

yeah, ive found no units are retreating, oh well, gunnar is right it is overrated, plus cavalry have the distinguish advantage of being fast as **** and toughest on attack in this scenario anyway. anyway, it is through. the new version is done. all im waiting on is thunderfall to give me the news on if i can upload this summab1tch. currently the zip file size is 21.3 mb.

Top Bottom