New Unit: Paddle Barrel (wooden submarine)

Orthanc

Shipwright
Another one down for the Orthanc team of, er, one.

Another unit that took barely three days to make, I'm on a roll here. Anyways, this is a fictional 17th-19th century submarine, inspired by something similar from a different game. It's called the Paddle Barrel since its essentially a big barrel with two paddle wheels on its sides.

Here's the file:
Paddle Barrel

Previews attached as always, enjoy!

Attachments

• Paddle Barrel.JPG
    Paddle Barrel.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Paddle BarrelRun.gif
    Paddle BarrelRun.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,010
Really creative, and an excellent fit as an early submarine! Keep up the good work!

For a second there I thought Bilbo might be riding atop it, making his escape from Thranduil's Halls. ;) Really creative thinking and making there, sir, good on ya.

This hasn't anything to do with this unit but i felt it reasonable to post it anyway. There was an actual submarine made like a wooden barrel. It contained a rudder and a paddle. It submerged a few feet under the water (im not sure if it could return to the surface). It was called the Turtle, its primary use was during the colonial or revolutionary war against the british blockade of Boston. It submerged and placed itself under and enemy vessel to drill a hole through the hull. it was often days before its crew realised the ship was sinking and by then there was no way to find the hole and fix it.

Maybe you could make this one next.

oh, by the way... this unit is very good ;).

Excellent unit. A nice surprise. :goodjob:

Wow, thanks everyone. While I was making the civilopedia I did a little research on early submarines, some of them (even the wodden ones) actually worked quite well and sank test ships but governments didn't take very much interest, likely because they didn't have much range at the time.

Anyways, on to the next unit!

EDIT: Thinking of Bilbo going down in that barrel reminds me of the song about Bilbo done by Spock :lol:

Jonesie85two said:
This hasn't anything to do with this unit but i felt it reasonable to post it anyway. There was an actual submarine made like a wooden barrel. It contained a rudder and a paddle. It submerged a few feet under the water (im not sure if it could return to the surface). It was called the Turtle, its primary use was during the colonial or revolutionary war against the british blockade of Boston. It submerged and placed itself under and enemy vessel to drill a hole through the hull. it was often days before its crew realised the ship was sinking and by then there was no way to find the hole and fix it.

Maybe you could make this one next.

oh, by the way... this unit is very good ;).

http://cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/viewtopic.php?p=83057#83057

classic. Looks great

In game shot of the Paddle Barrel and other Orthanc units with the Firaxis frigate for comparison.

The run sound on the barrel sounds great Orthanc.

Thanks, its from a sound of a paddle wheel I found on this website that I fiddled with and shortened to make it loop better. Thanks for the in-game look also, since my game editor is STILL down I haven't been able to see most of my units in action, luckily they seem to be working as planned.

Excellent unit Orthanc. It will be going in to the Mystara mod. It will be the only sub unit. Great work. :hatsoff:

Swack! Swack, indeed.

Thank you for your hard work, this unit will work very nicely in my scenario. :goodjob:

Top Bottom