SGOTM 03 - Team CDZ

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to your C_IV SGOTM 3 Team Thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished. Please also subscribe to the Maintenance Thread for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest.

The Game
As Peter The Great, Leader of All the Russias, you are charged with achieving a Diplomatic or Space Victory.

This Monarch difficulty game is on a Standard size, Gyathaar-special, crowded map, at Epic speed, against 17 rivals. All victory conditions are enabled, but the laurels for this contest will be awarded to the teams who achieve the fastest Diplomatic or Space victory.

Version
Your team will play this map in Civilization IV version 1.61, using the standard HoF Mod for Windows version 1.61. This is currently HOF_Mod-1.61.008, but we shall use the latest version of the mod as at the start date for the game.

Your start file will be available on the SGOTM Progress and Results Page at midnight, server local time, at the start of December 1st.

Here's the starting position - click the image below to see a larger version.

Map Parameters
Playable Leader/Civ - Peter of Russia
Rivals - all the other 17 civs in version 1.61
World size - Standard
Difficulty - Monarch
Landform - Archipelago, low sea level, tropical
Game Speed - Epic
AI Aggression - Aggressive
Barbarians - Standard
Permanent Alliances Enabled
No City Razing

Notes
  • Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.
  • BOTH Civilization IV v1.61 and Warlords v.2.08 are supported for this SGOTM. No other versions can be used, and you will have to stick with your chosen version throughout the game.
  • Teams will compete for four awards for each version of the game - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the fastest finishes, and the Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finisher.
  • All teams must play the sponsored variant - awards will be given to teams who achieve Diplomatic or Space victories in the least turns.
  • All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.

Remember, Rule Number 11: Have Fun. :)

Team CDZ is cancelled due to...ahem...let's think...yeah, lack of inspiration....no, ahem...
just wanted to say: SPAM!

no: signing in!...

OK who's up first.

Well we're doing well so far, nevertheless got it, ill move the scout about and not settle take a pic and save

Almost three weeks since we started this game. Is anything happening here?

We bribed BCLG to finish his turnset just a few minutes after you posted...

Here is the first part of our spamming, ahem, discussion:

socralynnek said:
AFAICS we are already 4. I have spammed sent a PM to krys whcih made him sign-up, thanks!

So by now, we are: BCLG, Tubby, Ynnek, Krys

But I guess we need at least two more, so we should spam some more people.

Shabba you didn't sign up yet, no interest?
Shabbaman said:
I posted in the sgotm2 thread. I'm available, but I'm short on time. But then again, who isn't.
socralynnek said:
Sorry, I have seen that post too late. You are right, we should discuss a little more while the game is going on. Then a team of rather weak players can still be pretty strong which I have seen in the current Civ3SGOTM in my team.

I promise to discuss a little more and would be happy if you'd join, especially considering that your parts of the discussion were valuable...maybe we can acquire then 2 or 3 more s.t. we 'd have 7 players or so s.t. one has to play less considering that game will surely last long as a space race game...
BCLG100 said:
We're not weak players we just dont have much time to contribute. If we look at the levels everyone players at then we have a goodish chance

me-immortal
tubby-monarch-though it may have been higher
ynnek-deity (might be an exageration)
shabba-deity(definatly not an exageration)
krys-prince

they're all pretty good levels, so you dont have to worry about our actual ability but more the time we can sit down and discuss it-i vote ynnek for team capitano again-if that was under any doubt

though this game looks very interesting and will require a lot of early war- i think we're going to have to go for space and not for diplo because of the amount of early warring we'll have to do.
Robboo said:
OK guys I am in...My schedule is flakey so i dont know if I will have time to play BUT I can spam and offer advice.
Tubby Rower said:
I garee the easiest path is space.

I've never won a diplo game, so I'm not even sure how to do it, unless we are just killing everyone put together in territory. I think in Civ 4 you have more votes for more tiles. So that might be easier now that I think about it.
BCLG100 said:
You do, however with all this killing dont forget the AI will be killing each other off as well and it is very hard to win diplo in civ4 because you have to give them anything they want for literally the entire game-which just sucks so i think space is the way to go
socralynnek said:
Me deity? in civ4? I only win emperor when I have a really nice start...
Kill (almost) all for diplo could be an option, that should be decided when the game evolves, nevertheless we have to research fast and probably spread Alphabet around which the AI seldom researches fast.

Robboo, if you and Shabba sign up (please do it over at cfc
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=192760
and state you want Team CDZ

Then we already have a team and each player more would be nice then too.
Robboo said:
BCLG100 said:
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

Me deity? in civ4? I only win emperor when I have a really nice start...
Kill (almost) all for diplo could be an option, that should be decided when the game evolves, nevertheless we have to research fast and probably spread Alphabet around which the AI seldom researches fast.

Robboo, if you and Shabba sign up (please do it over at cfc
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=192760
and state you want Team CDZ

Then we already have a team and each player more would be nice then too.

i MAY have been exaggerating your skills but everyone elses was true
Shabbaman said:
Deity? Well...

Anyway, I signed up. Map for discussion:
BCLG100 said:
The only drawback to settling in place would be that we lose one of the floodplains and that the city itself will not be a very productive one.
Shabbaman said:
Cons on not settling on place: we lose one of the clams, and one of the spices.
I don't see us getting a productive city if we settle some to the north. We should optimize food production.
Tubby Rower said:
I think settle in place
Robboo said:
Loss of one clam is not that big of a deal.

I would send the scout to see what the black tile is north of the spices. IT may be a good place to settle as we wouldnt lose either of our Floodplains and we could have better territory North to grab that second spice. A sligth overlap in working tiles isnt that bad on a map with alot of water.

I dont like settling in place. Since you will drop one food essentially we would have to farm teh other floodplain just to make up the food loss.
socralynnek said:
I think, Scout should mve E first, then we might consider settling NE or N, for a Space Race the FP cottage is too valuable to lose. N could be nice for Colossus or TGLighthouse.
kryszcztov said:
My take on it : setling off the coast and/or off the river seems a bit silly to me (in a general case), except if there is much to gain. Not really the case here. That'd leave us with settling in place, north or east. IMO we should first move the scout east, then south, to reveal what's up in the east. I wouldn't mind losing a resource in our 21 if we could get it back with another city soon. Settling east then seems better than settling north, as the southern spices might be lost for harvesting. Also, if we settle off the floodplains, we gain one more floodplain for irrigation or cottage, but we lose one clam for high food : I'm not sure we actually gain food that way.

Summary according to me : scout E then S (if nothing extraordinary after E), then let's see how it is.

And I'm just realizing that we won't be able to do that before another 12 days.
BCLG100 said:
Dont forget with 17 other AI this will be a very crowded map
socralynnek said:
Alan has asked whether one of the vanilla teams wants an extra player, he has two who'd like to join left.

Anyone against it? Otherwise I'd tell him in 24 hours that it's ok if it's ok for the player to join here.
BCLG100 said:
yup ive got no problems with it, just so long as they realise the majority of discussion will be here....

plus we might be able to get em to play a load of turns when we cant be arsed
Tubby Rower said:
yeah I'm fine wit it
Shabbaman said:
As long as it's not AoA I'm OK with it.
Robboo said:
no problem here....
socralynnek said:
I PMed Alan...he named two players (gustavoghe and lowthercastle), so no AoA (he is a strong player, is he bad for a SG?), so let's wait if we or another team gets one of them.
socralynnek said:
The players are already at other teams, there is a new one who'd like to join, but I'd rather give darkness and samson a chance to signup before we ask him.
Darkness said:

so no AoA (he is a strong player, is he bad for a SG?

AoA = Stupid republican biased former OT moderator at CFC with a huge superiority complex and no tolerance for opinions differing from his own...
Darkness said:

The players are already at other teams, there is a new one who'd like to join, but I'd rather give darkness and samson a chance to signup before we ask him.

See other thread: I am in, but I can not promise regular turnsets.
Tubby Rower said:
I don't think that anyone is promising regular turnsets.
socralynnek said:
So, the game starts today.

I'd like to propose the following:
Someone kicks us off, moves the Scout and then stops to discuss where to settle. maybe with spreadsheet and such.

Maybe we could do the rule: No one of Team CDZ in SGOTM02 plays a turnset before that other one is done.
Tubby Rower said:
meh.. you guys made me join SGOTM 2. I joined 3 on my own volition
BCLG100 said:
i just felt bad for you for SGOTM 2 so i joined, anyone played this turn then? or we starting as we mean to go on?
BCLG100 said:
right well somehow im gonna be the one to play the first turn, i got it will just move the scout and save, wont bother uploading the save file ill just play the next 5 turns when we decide what to research etc
Tubby Rower said:
research Fusion for the great engineer
BCLG100 said:
heres a picture of the shenangans

ill come back with my opinion later, beddy time now :)
BCLG100 said:
oh and thanks for the tip tubs
socralynnek said:
Settle N or NE. (Both don't waste a floodplain)

Pros N:
-On coast

Pros NE:
-Both spices in city range
-more landtiles (but wasted seatiles)
Tubby Rower said:
I'd prefer N, since that will give us sea traffic eventually... It seems as though we won't need too many until later, so the extra land tiles are a bit moot. As are both spices since we won't have a trade route for a long time without sea traffic.
BCLG100 said:
Personally i prefer 2 east, gives us fish, clams, spices and the floodplains.

future city areas include 2 north of the recently discovered clams and one north east of the other spices
socralynnek said:
I haven't seen the fish, yes 2E is also very nice!
kryszcztov said:
As said before, settling off the coast is a big nono in my book. If you want to settle off the floodplains just to gain some food, don't forget that this means losing the western clam, which could bring even more food and mucho gold immediately. By settling in place, we also keep the southern spices, for mucho gold too, once Calendar is there.

Since the beginning is to get to space IIRC, we should go for gold in our capital.

And here is part 2 including the turnlog:

Darkness said:
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

Personally i prefer 2 east, gives us fish, clams, spices and the floodplains.

Me too...
Tubby Rower said:
2E is a great spot. Central to all resources. and it wouldn't be any slower of a settlement than if we moved to the forest.

2E has clams, fish, spices, 2 FP, 13 coast tiles (at least 2 food with lighthouse and 2 gold)

This city would greatly benefit from a collosus and be uber science city
kryszcztov said:
Yes, 2E is a great spot, I reckon. The downside is that it's not by the river, which means -2 in health limit.

If you look closely, the tile 4E (in the 21 of 2E) is a coast tile (at least regarding resources). There should be land over there.
BCLG100 said:
by the looks of the clams fishies we're not going to need to worry about health for awhile
BCLG100 said:
so not much discussion for awhile about say tech.....

so ill just play the save tomorrow for a few turns and pick whatever i feel
socralynnek said:
We've started with Hunting and Mining, right?
So, no religion.
We don't know how many civs we meet soon, but in a game with many civs and going for space or diplo, I guess, a direct path for Alphabet would be nice,maybe BW and Archery in between.
We can get Cottages up pretty soon then.

If we settle 2E, I propose Fishing as a first tech which also make Pottery cheaper and let's us build those boats.
Otherwise Warrior first and Worker at size 2 or 3.
Tubby Rower said:
it might be smart to not go nuts trading techs since the AI cut you off after a certain number of trades.
socralynnek said:
You are right, especially some cheap techs might be better got with the pointy stick. The number depends on relative strenght but as we plan to be most powerful that might mean no one would want to give us techs. OTOH it still can give us a boost relative to a neighbor which we'll then conquer with our technological superiority.
BCLG100 said:
Any beeline to alpha on any level is worthwhile to pick up the majority of worker techs which you will have avoided to get it in time, however with that considered i think we should go Bronze working, with 17 other civs on this map we are going to need to establish where the metal is asap and more than likely get our first settler out before our first worker (especially considering that we cant improve the food/mfg output of the majority of the tiles around the capital and only the commerce). If we find bronze nearby it may be worth building a settler at size 2/3 before the worker.

i.e. build plan warrior-warrior-settler-worker-continue :)
Tubby Rower said:
BW sounds like a reasonable plan and has my vote. but I can be swayed way too easily
socralynnek said:
BUMP! BCLG? PLAYING? WHEN? PROBLEMS? COMPUTER? HARD? DRIVE? ASSIGNMENT? SPAM? WANT? ROLEX?

As always we could/should do a roster as some players feel more forced to play when they are up...
And like last times: please already state when you are on deck whether you think you can play some time after the next one or whether we better swap.

BCLG - kicks us off
Ynnek - on deck
krys
Shabba
Tubby
Robboo
Darkness

As I said before, swapping is no problem, I try to keep track of that.

I can play any day til Friday. I am away over christmas but I am then back on 27th.
Tubby Rower said:
hah.. I've already forgot about this game. I could probably play this some this week if I try hard.
BCLG100 said:
Sorry ive been moving back home from uni over the past few days and was just thinking of playing yesterday when i thought sleep would be a better choice ill be playing later today.

10 or 20 turns?

ynnek im still waiting on our 1vs1 save so am not the only forgetfull one :p
Tubby Rower said:
I'd say 20.. that's closer to the end than 10 .. And since we have a propensity to delay turn-sets, I'd prefer to get the quick one's in big lumps. Unless something comes up and you need to stop or ask a question. .... do 20
socralynnek said:
yeah, do 20. When I am running Windows again, I will look whther I played the PBEM, I am sure I did, but surely could be wrong...
BCLG100 said:
Im not sure how many i did in the end but we're up to the turn before BW was discovered, just came back to check what to go for next and let you see what had happened.

Heres our island- i fully explored it in the time :)

demographics at the end.

and our capital

(BCLGland)

we met alex about turn 15 or so

Settled on some spices as i took the conscious decision that it would be better to cottage the floodplains than work the spices with a financial leader if anyone dont like it-sue me

save is here http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm3/CDZ_SG003_BC3400_01.Civ4SavedGame

quote:Here is your Session Turn Log from 4000 BC to 3400 BC:

Turn 1, 3970 BC: BCLGland has been founded.

Turn 8, 3760 BC: The borders of BCLGland have expanded!

Turn 12, 3640 BC: Buddhism has been founded in a distant land!

Turn 17, 3490 BC: Barbarian's Lion (2.00) vs CDZ's Scout (2.70)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: Combat Odds: 21.1%
Turn 17, 3490 BC: (Animal Combat: +20%)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: (Plot Defense: +50%)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: (Class Animal Combat: +100%)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 23 (77/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: CDZ's Scout is hit for 17 (83/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 23 (54/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: CDZ's Scout is hit for 17 (66/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 23 (31/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: CDZ's Scout is hit for 17 (49/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: CDZ's Scout is hit for 17 (32/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 23 (8/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: CDZ's Scout is hit for 17 (15/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 23 (0/100HP)
Turn 17, 3490 BC: CDZ's Scout has defeated Barbarian's Lion!

Turn 19, 3430 BC: BCLGland will grow to size 3 on the next turn

scout is pretty badly hurt so may as well let him rest for awhile

ynnek your up!
socralynnek said:
Alex is on a different island, right?
I can play later today or tomorrow in the morning (but probably later today), maybe I'll do more than 20 turns, seems there won't be major decisions soon, except for techs.

We definitely need Fishing next s.t. we can rxplore with Work Boats.

Then we should go towards Pottery for Cottages. Military techs won't be needed fro some time, let's see whether we can have Axes, if so, Barbarians won't be a problem.

Different opinions?
Tubby Rower said:
fishing would be my choice as well. We need to be careful of barb axes...
BCLG100 said:
settler should be next build

I'd like to play now, but I'm missing a bit of the discussion. IIRC we want to go for pyramids, thus masonry or something? I have some time to play tomorrow as well, if today doesn't work out. Wonder if anyone reads this.

Sadly, CDZ is down atm.
We discussed a little further there.

Damn, I thought I had copied again after my turnset.
At least here are the pictures at 2710:

The plan was: Found city on blue dot. Switch to Masonry immediately.
Worker next in capital, meanwhile warriors for gfogbusting in 2nd town.
Warrior builds a quarry and connects it to 2nd city (only road there not to capital)
Prechop forests.
Build Pyramids.
Meanwhile capital can build workboats for exploring and hooking up.

I can't open the save. I installed the mod from the startpost, but I got the message that the mod folder 1.61.009 was invalid (duh, I just installed .008). But now I installed 1.61.010, and I still get the same error message. I can't find version .009.

Thanks, it works now.

Question: are we whipping with this mod or not?

2740 b.c. switch to masonry

2710 b.c. enter.

2680 b.c. enter.

2650 b.c. enter

2620 b.c. enter

2590 b.c. enter

2560 b.c. capital builds settler, starts on worker.

2530 b.c. enter.

2500 b.c. enter.

2470 b.c. blue dot founded, starts on worker.

Here is your Session Turn Log from 2770 BC to 2470 BC:

Turn 51, 2470 BC: Blue dot has been founded.

Save is here.

Unless anyone else shows up here, I guess you're up ynnek. Merry christmas!

HEy guys...I am gone till the 31. I will check back here or CDZ when I return. So did Santa run over the server at CDZ??? :)

My guess is that it's time to apply the fist, but with it being christmass and all the ISP guys are probably hiding somewhere.

Trying to do a roster again (the one at CDz got lost):

BCLG - kicked us off
Ynnek - played a little
krys - swap until further notice
Shabba - founded a town
Tubby - UP
Robboo -away til 31st
Darkness - didn't show up at all

I can play from tomorrow on again.
Tubby ? BCLG? What's up with you?

tubby is out of town and cant play till the 30th i think.

/I am in Hell...I mean my inlaws. I can read and post but cant play civ.

ok, then BCLG could play if he is in town, otherwise I might play this evening (normally I wouldn't rush it that way but we are too far behind)

I think BC is gone also. O rhis trip may be around New years. I think you should play ynnek

Top Bottom