(MODCOMP) Strategic and Tactical Warfare mod

Kailric

Jack of All Trades
STRATEGIC AND TACTICAL WARFARE mod: Ancient/Medieval Arms Version 0.2 alpha
Development Phase

Download v 0.2 alpha BtS 3.13

Update 0.2:
- In order for Calvary to make Flank Attacks on Volley Barrage Units there must be two supporting units types present, an Archer or a Gunpowder Unit with combat STR < 14 and a Melee Unit. This allows for sufficient support and or distraction for the Unit to make such Flank attacks.
- Fortified units gain a Damage Reduction bonus to Collateral Damage for each level of Fortify.
- New Counter for Calvary Flank attacks vs Volley Barrage. If a Gunpowder Unit or vs. Mounted unit is fortified they are assumed to be defending all Volley Barrage units in its group. Each Flank attack that would have done damage is repulsed instead.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

-Next update I will add Help text to the Civilopedia to explain all the new additions and features among other things, and most importantly hopefully begin to greatly improve the AI.

What this mod is: (this readme is a work in progress)

Its my efforts to bring more strategy and tactics to the normal game of Civ4. Another thing that prompted this was to bring more of a balance to equal arms combat. For instance if two equal armies face off with no siege engines and no extra bonuses there is a 50/50 chance for each side, but throw in siege engines and the Attacker wins nearly 100% of the time. That is neither fair, nor realistic. This is an attempt to change that.
Also, Having studied somewhat into Historical Warfare I decided to attempt to "simulate" some of the strategy and tactics used in actual battles. One such tactic that played a major role was the invention and use of the Longbow. It totally changed how wars was fought. To simulate this I have given the Longbowman more functionality. Other changes/additions was made and others are still to come. Any Suggestions is much appreciated.

These changes, while few at the moment, significantly change combat in Civ4. Decisions such as what units to build and what promotions to except are more critical now.

Notes to Modders and source code:
Spoiler :
I added the tags //TKadded and //TKend to the code I wrote, or at least I attempted to do this. The source code is included in the download. If you add new units that will make use of the new Volley Barrage Promotion be sure to set their Collateral info up so that when they receive the promotion their damage isn't increased by 200% instead of 100%... see the Longbowman for an example.

Note: Modern units are not supported fully at the moment. Only units in the Ancient to Medieval times will gain full benefits.

New Rules:
Spoiler :

Combined Arms Combat:

Definition: Combined Arms allows you to combine different combat types together to add additional bonuses and features. Each combat type has supporting combat types that once they are stacked together the bonuses are applied. These bonuses only apply in the field, units in Cities/Fort do not receive bonuses. With these new options players must decided how to combined their forces to better gain the advantage.

:high5:New Combined Arms Defense Bonus: Only one of Each type of Supporting unit is required in order to gain the bonus. For Example a Knight's supporting units can be a Longbowman, Catapult, Musketman, and a Swordsman. As long as one of each unit is present he will gain his full bonus. If one should die and no others are present to takes its place that bonus would be decreased by the combat Strength of the dead unit. Multiple supporting units of the same Combat Type do not add to the bonus.
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

:spank:Collateral Damage Units will attack other Collateral Damage units first. That is for example If you attack a stack of units with a Catapult, if the defending stack also has a Catapult, the two Catapults will battle.

:ar15:Collateral Damage is now done by both Attacker and Defender. If you attack a unit that has Collateral Damage your stacked units have a chance to be damaged as well. You must keep this in mind when attacking with these units and have your units protected as both sides will sustain damage.
Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Combined Arms Bonuses:
  • - Only applied outside of Cities and Forts
  • - Combat Strength of Supporting Units is added to defense bonus.
  • - Withdraw bonus is given from Supporting Units types, this simulates Units offering cover fire or distractions.
  • - Flank attacks now have a chance to hit units with the New promotion Volley Barrage if they have the two required Supporting Withdraw units Present, Gunpower or Archer and a Melee.
  • - Fortified Volley Barrage units gain a additional bonus equal to its (forty bonus x 4) against Flank attacks. So a fully fortified Unit will receive no damage from the flank attack.
  • - Units with Flank attack do not encore Collateral Damage on its Combined force. A good tactic is to send out your Calvary with the extra Withdraw bonus in the hopes of weakening or destroying the enemy's Collateral Damage units.
  • - Siege Engines gain no Defense Bonus from Combined Arms but they contribute to Defense Bonus for other units in the army
  • - Fortified units gain a Damage Reduction bonus to Collateral Damage for each level of Fortify.
  • - New Counter for Calvary Flank attacks vs Volley Barrage. If a Gunpowder Unit or vs. Mounted unit is fortified they are assumed to be defending all Volley Barrage units in its group. Each Flank attack that would have done damage is repulsed instead.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

New Promotions:

Volley Barrage- this new Promotion is acquired by Archery units with the Drill II and Cover Promotions. Also, the Longbowman and Cho-Ko-Nu have this promotion for free. It adds 10% withdrawal and the ability to do Collateral Damage.
-Collateral damage done by Volley Barrage is halved if Archer unit is attacked by melee units. This simulates some of the Archers having to fight off the melee attackers.
Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

Ancient to Medieval Supporting Types that give Defense Bonuses based on Combat Str and Withdraw Bonuses based on presence:

Mounted, Archery, Gunpowder units with Combat Str less than 14, Siege units with less than 12 combat Str, and all Melee units.

Modern Combat Types:
Modern rules are not yet fully functional.

AI Use:
At the moment the new rules are used by the AI, but I haven't added any extra intelligence for moving stacked units or combining stacked units but that will added later.

Strategy and Counters:
Spoiler :
-Mounted Units are best used when enemy armies contain Volley Barraging Units or Siege Units as they Negate the Collateral Damage Effect caused on your Units and have a High Withdraw Chance with the Combined Arms bonus. So they can charge in, do Flank Damage and retreat back out.
-If the Enemy is approaching with lots of mounted Units and your objective is to hold the position a good strat would be to fortify Vs. Mounted units or Gunpower units, then stack Volley Barraging units to cause Collateral Damage. This keeps your Volley Barraging units protected while they cause havoc.

Things/ideas for future releases:

- Fortified Units gain extra Collateral Damage reduction :goodjob: DONE!
- Flank Units get a Collateral Damage Reduction
- A moral system for combat bonuses
- New Promotions that simulate actual battle tactics
- Withdraw Bonus Penalized if in Melee and unit is not Mounted
- Improved AI
- and More!

Update 0.2:
- In order for Calvary to make Flank Attacks on Volley Barrage Units there must be two supporting units types present, an Archer or a Gunpowder Unit with combat STR < 14 and a Melee Unit. This allows for sufficient support and or distraction for the Unit to make such Flank attacks.
- Fortified units gain a Damage Reduction bonus to Collateral Damage for each level of Fortify.
- New Counter for Calvary Flank attacks vs Volley Barrage. If a Gunpowder Unit or vs. Mounted unit is fortified they are assumed to be defending all Volley Barrage units in its group. Each Flank attack that would have done damage is repulsed instead.
Spoiler :

-Next update I will add Help text to the Civilopedia to explain all the new additions and features among other things, and most importantly hopefully begin to greatly improve the AI.

This mod seems interesting. I wonder why there isn't much attention to it?

My guess is at this point most peeps are interested in graphics, new units, and such. Not so much into rule changes but this is a pet project of mine I will be working on. Its just slow go atm as so many things are going on.

Heya guys, i havent worked on this in actually 2 years. But I think this mod is compatable with egineers and holy wars but all these mods are out of date with the current version of Civilization.

I been spending my extra time on modding Colonization the past year or so. I still have projects to finish over there before I can work on anything in Civilization but you guys are free to use my mods and code any way you want.

Top Bottom