[BTS] Barbarian Alliance

Fierabras

Emperor

In this modpack for BTS 3.19 you play as Conan the Barbarian, leader of the Hyboria civ. You start the game with peace with all things barbarian (animals and units), but other civs are furious (-8 diplomacy) over your adherence to the barbarian lifestyle. Luckily, your friends, the Raging Barbarians (on by default) are there to help you with some pointy-stick-diplomacy.

Credits:

- Opening screen from Warlords Barbarians mod
- Opening music from Europa Barbarorum
- Hyboria civ by Amra
- Barbarian Trait by FFH-team
- Barbarian UnitArtStyle by Fierabras, artwork by

Spearman, Axeman: Ploeperpengel
Warrior, Swordsman: ModFreak
Worker: LittleRedPoint

Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10201

I LOVE playing as a Barbarian Civ!!!

I like the idea of the mod and have had fun playing it. But, the loading screen isn't the one on post 1.

ok first mod i've tried in civ4 --- where do i unzip the files to, and how do i access this in game? I have all expansions...

Unzip it to the mods folder (the one in the Beyond the Sword folder) making sure it's patched to 3.17 first, and then run BTS and load Barbarian Alliance from the mods menu.

What screen did you get?
I also got the BTS 3.17 screen. NBD tho
Love the music.:goodjob:

Barbarian Alliance Screenshots:
1.-8 Already, I just met the guy:lol:
2. This archer jumped right on the bandwagon (he traveled up with me and razed wheat farm as I attacked city.)
3. Conan had North and South America in no time.

Attachments

• -8.JPG
    -8.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,194
  • bandwagon.JPG
    bandwagon.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,073
  • N S America.JPG
    N S America.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,007
Ok, thanks. Now I see where the problem is with the opening screen. I'll fix it later. If you have some suggestions for gameplay, let me know...

Yep, quite right. Looks like you are having a nice game. I'm interested how it will evolve to the end game, where the -8 diplo is going to hurt more.

Unzip it to the mods folder (the one in the Beyond the Sword folder) making sure it's patched to 3.17 first, and then run BTS and load Barbarian Alliance from the mods menu.

yeah, it's in the BTS\Mods folder, but it doesnt show up when i select bts mods or scenarios in the menu.... and yes, i'm 3.17 patch

Looks like you are having a nice game..

Yes this mod is lots of fun.:D There is a barbarian city named Bulgar (AI Barbs) living in harmony with my civ (hence the alliance;)) However, I cannot enter this city(see pic 1). I also cannot go to any tile adj. to their city. What do you think? If a civ from another continent attacks, it would be cool if I could load some of my own units to help defend.

One more thing... Can you explain the 'Barbarian' trait a bit? (pic 2)

thanks,
Jimmy

PS - this mod is good as is, just giving some feedback as you requested:)

1. cant enter other barb city
2. barb trait

Attachments

• harmony.JPG
    harmony.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 627
  • barb trait.JPG
    barb trait.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 795
yeah, it's in the BTS\Mods folder, but it doesnt show up when i select bts mods or scenarios in the menu.... and yes, i'm 3.17 patch

Not sure if it makes a difference, but did you install it in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods ?

It should go there and not in My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS

Yes this mod is lots of fun.:D There is a barbarian city named Bulgar (AI Barbs) living in harmony with my civ (hence the alliance;)) However, I cannot enter this city(see pic 1). I also cannot go to any tile adj. to their city. What do you think? If a civ from another continent attacks, it would be cool if I could load some of my own units to help defend.

One more thing... Can you explain the 'Barbarian' trait a bit? (pic 2)

thanks,
Jimmy

PS - this mod is good as is, just giving some feedback as you requested:)

1. cant enter other barb city
2. barb trait

1. Good call, I'll try to add an Open Borders agreement as well
2. I'll see if I can add a description. I know I've tried before, but it entails some Python or even SDK.

I'm interested how it will evolve to the end game, where the -8 diplo is going to hurt more.

Shaka declared war on me 1st (ofc) at around 1500 and he brought over some ships. I razed some of his cities with no worries (why not, thats what barbs do:lol:) The -8 Diplo had WK & Saladin declare war on me in the late 1700's. I never saw one of Saladin's units.:lol: There were no defensive pacts at any time. I won by the space race tho. If I had started out in the Eastern World, I would have went for conquest (razing :mwaha:). The Black Dragons could have done it. Esp because I was playing Warlord difficulty, Epic speed just for kicks:mischief: (pic 1, pic 2)

It's true Hereditary Rule s/b Conan's fav civic, and its kinda funny how Barbarism isn't the fav civic. But favorite civic is irrelevent in this mod, no?

Anyways, is there going to be a Version 2? It would be nice if you made the open borders. This could be a big deal if the AI barb city was on the 'isthmus tile' and I wouldnt be abe to get to North America!! It was a bit of a pain to go around the AI barb's water tiles for most of the game, until this inevitability (pic 3) as the AI barbs just loved the way I was running things :lol::king:

Attachments

• overpowered.JPG
    overpowered.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 502
  • death.JPG
    death.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 475
  • inevitable join.JPG
    inevitable join.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 508
It took me a while to get the open borders working. The code was already in place, but I did not know that you need the requirements for it to actually get it to work. I thought I could force the open borders agreement, even without writing. As a fix, I have changed it so that Hyboria and the barbarians both start with writing as a free tech. The open borders agreement is signed at the start when peace is also declared.

I also changed the name to Black Dragon and sort of fixed the opening screen bug. I haven't added the Barbarian Trait description. The description for it is:

- Permanent peace with all things barbarian
- Starts -8 diplomacy with all non-barbarian civs

You can download the new version 1.1 at the same download location.

Top Bottom