[BTS] Barbarian Alliance

It took me a while to get the open borders working. The code was already in place, but I did not know that you need the requirements for it to actually get it to work. I thought I could force the open borders agreement, even without writing. As a fix, I have changed it so that Hyboria and the barbarians both start with writing as a free tech. The open borders agreement is signed at the start when peace is also declared.

I also changed the name to Black Dragon and sort of fixed the opening screen bug. I haven't added the Barbarian Trait description. The description for it is:

- Permanent peace with all things barbarian
- Starts -8 diplomacy with all non-barbarian civs

Excellent!! :woohoo:
thanks again for your hard work. The music is awesome when you zoom in close to a barb city:D

Just a small warning (or a question) for a potential bug...

If an event (such as marrage or forced peace through 'kindness') modifies the diplo modifiers, does the -8 "Past events have drawn our people apart" get replaced with the +3 "Past events have drawn our people together", or a -1 "Past events have drawn our people together" (Which is still an increase of 7 ;) )

Excellent!! :woohoo:
thanks again for your hard work. The music is awesome when you zoom in close to a barb city:D

The Hyboria civ music is from the Conan the Barbarian movies. Amra did a great job of adding it to this custom civ.

Just a small warning (or a question) for a potential bug...

If an event (such as marrage or forced peace through 'kindness') modifies the diplo modifiers, does the -8 "Past events have drawn our people apart" get replaced with the +3 "Past events have drawn our people together", or a -1 "Past events have drawn our people together" (Which is still an increase of 7 ;) )

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think it will replace it or do an add or substraction. A new "Past events have drawn our people apart" will appear as another diplo modifier, next to the already existing -8 one.

Great mod. Thanks Fierabras.

A few implications; workers can work in peace outsidethe borders. It's good to have them laying roads ahead of the axerush army.

Settlers can wander off into the dark to find a good spot.

so build order could be worker, warrior, settler, settler ....

Terra maps could be alot of fun .

What does the great wall do to me ? What If I build it ? In my game Bismark built it, but it's not time to declare on him yet. When I do,, I wonder if I'll be able to go in there at all . It'll be funny if I can't.

'Worst enemy' is always me 'till this point, so religious wars aren't breaking out amoung the AI.

All of the above is good as far as I'm concerned.

I might try for a diplomatic victory.

The Great Wall will effect the barbarians as usual, but will not effect Hyboria. You can attack Bismarck as usual, but your friends, the barbarians, will not be able to assist you in the assault beyond the Great Wall...

Diplomatic victory as a barbarian, that would do nicely, I say ;)

have now played this with several maps and it is most excellent! I have a question about the Great Wall. If another Civ builds it will it keep me out of their territories too, like the other Barbarians? So far I have built it first to avoid this happening.
The diplomacy isn't too bad, the leaders just stay furious with me until I sack their cities. It is especially fun if you Require Complete Kills in the custom game, with Aggressive AI also

Duh! The answer was already here...
Barbarian Alliance is one of my favs.

Fierabras,

Thank you for this, I am having a lot of fun with this mod. Though I do have two questions for you. When I choose a custom game, why is the "Always War" option missing?

I guess I could just simulate it by instantly declaring war on all the civs upon the first meeting.

Also, how does the Mulitplayer aspect of this mod work?

I disabled the Always War option, because when using it you would declare war with your barbarian friends as well...

I'm not sure what you mean by the MP aspect. I made this mod for single player as you can only choose Hyboria to play. This could be easily changed though.

Fierabras,

Okay, I can just simulate the Always War option manually then, that's not a big deal.

Regarding the Multiplayer thing, when I open up the mod, there is a "Multiplayer" option. Most mods that are made for single player only have "Multyplayer" greyed out, but yours does not. I was just wondering if you had something special setup for multiplayer or not.

Fierabras,

Another issue I just came into that has affected my last few games:

I am now unable to move onto Barbarian owned tiles and the trade routes with Barbarian cities are non existant. It is as if I no longer have Open Boarders with them. I am playing a custom game, with the One City Challenge toggled and 18 Civs on a Huge Fractal map. All other options remain normal.

A screenshot or a savegame can be provided if necessary. Thank you.

Awesome mod! Just played one great, loads of fun! :)

Not for the pacific minded players though, I got owned in my normal difficulty settings! I need to step one down hehe.

I didn't start the game with the animals, why :confused:

You start at peace with Barbarians.
You start at peace with Animals.

You do NOT gain units from this mod. You do NOT gain the ability to produce any extra units (other than the special UU) from this mod. I hope that helps. :)

You start at peace with Barbarians.
You start at peace with Animals.

You do NOT gain units from this mod. You do NOT gain the ability to produce any extra units (other than the special UU) from this mod. I hope that helps. :)

In the initial stages of this mod I let the barbarians team up with the spawning barbarians (units and animals), but then you spawn all over the map. I added some map visibility degrading, but it was still too weird to play, so I decided to strip it out.

If you never figured out how to make the description appear, you can use the hidden <Help> tag.

Put it after the <ShortDescription> tag, but before the <iHealth> tag.

Then in the text file, something like this:
Code:
[BULLET]Permanent peace with all things barbarian
[BULLET]Starts -8 diplomacy with all non-barbarian civs

Top Bottom