LAN Issue

tirnaog

Chieftain
2 Win7 64bit PCs on a N wireless LAN
One hosting one trying to join.
sees game listed but after clicking the join game button its sitting on retrieving data from host.

Waited 5 minutes and nothing!
Did they actually include any networking!

any ideas what could be up?

also note we are in offline mode in steam with the same ID.
Could this be the issue? must you have two different steam IDs and so 2 different copies?
unlike in civ4.

Happened to my brother and I as well... Ya have to allow it through windows firewall or whatever firewall you use. Add an exception for it since the game doesn't seem to make one itself.

2 Win7 64bit PCs on a N wireless LAN
One hosting one trying to join.
sees game listed but after clicking the join game button its sitting on retrieving data from host.

Waited 5 minutes and nothing!
Did they actually include any networking!

any ideas what could be up?

also note we are in offline mode in steam with the same ID.
Could this be the issue? must you have two different steam IDs and so 2 different copies?
unlike in civ4.

Same prob i had. Check this thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=382764

If you can't see the LAN game at all, make sure firewalls are allowing it on all machines. If you can SEE the game but get stuck on trying to join it, it's because both copies have the same steam username. Not allowed. Either use different steam accounts, or if you want an offline solution, you can use a hex editor to change your player name in the steam DLL's. I don't know if I'm allowed to say how, though, since it's technically a violation of the Steam EULA to modify their files, and this forum might frown on such things.

If you can't see the LAN game at all, make sure firewalls are allowing it on all machines. If you can SEE the game but get stuck on trying to join it, it's because both copies have the same steam username. Not allowed. Either use different steam accounts, or if you want an offline solution, you can use a hex editor to change your player name in the steam DLL's. I don't know if I'm allowed to say how, though, since it's technically a violation of the Steam EULA to modify their files, and this forum might frown on such things.

Nope, 2 Seperate Legit copies for me, And we can see the games, we just cant join. I dont know about the others.

Mind, we arent on a real LAN, we are trying to use Tunngle.

Nope, 2 Seperate Legit copies for me, And we can see the games, we just cant join. I dont know about the others.

Mind, we arent on a real LAN, we are trying to use Tunngle.

Ahh, that's probably the problem then. I've read how LAN multiplayer using things like Hamachi and whatnot are not compatable. No imitation LAN's need apply, apparantly. Just the real deal. Otherwise you have to use Steam.

Well, all in all, its not that bad, we just found out that the game auto-saves every turn, which was the main issue we had. Civ is a long game, and not being able to save... well... SUCKS.

Anyway, Thanks for your help!

Hey got the problem as well that I can't see the other player over LAN. I configured both pcs , no firewalls and the ip's are set to DMZ just to be sure( we're playing over hamachi, can this be the problem ? we're getting direct tunnel so that's ok). Can we play only on steam over lan ? or how exactly ?

thanks

Top Bottom