• Marl Downs settler to build improvements

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Mordhemia settler to found B1

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Mordhemia settler to found G2

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Mordhemia settler to build improvements

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Silly Serutan, they should... (specify)

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Serutan

Eatibus Anythingibus
***** Please read instructions before voting ******

Since the settler from Reneaux is destined to found M1,
we need to decide what to do with the setters being built
in Marl Downs and Mordhemia. I have (hopefully) attached
a screenshot with the sites M1, B1, and G2 indicated. I moved
the G2 one square SW of the original site to reduce overlap.

Instructions: Please select only ONE (1) option for the
Marl Downs settler, and ONE (1) option for
the Mordhemia settler.

Please let me know what you think of this method. The idea
was to reduce the number of threads, but poll seperately for
each settler.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't make it multiple choice. Have put a request
in to the Duke to fix it. Sorry :blush:

:blush:

Mordhiemia settler to found M1 and the Marl Downs settler can connect the cities with roads, than build a road to the north and settle at the B1 spot.

I agree with civ1, settlers from other cities can easily reach G2, while it's further to M1 from other cities, and roads are allways good:)

Originally posted by civ1-addict
Mordhiemia settler to found M1 and the Marl Downs settler can connect the cities with roads, than build a road to the north and settle at the B1 spot.

I may have misread Gary's last post before the turns, but
I thought that the settler being built in Reneaux was going to
found M1, which is why that wasn't an option in the poll.

@ Serutan
You're absolutely right. I just looked into the game and saw the Reneaux settler is about to be finished.

New idea:
Reneaux settler to found M1.
Mordhiemia settler to found G2.
Marl Downs settler connecting Marl Downs with Mordhiemia and M1 than roading further on towards the B1 spot and settling there.

Better?
Let's discuss further in the real multi-poll! ;)

My vote:
Morhiemia settler to found G2.
Marl Downs settler building roads in a straight line north, connecting Marl Downs with Mordhiemia and M1 (to be found with the Reneaux settler) and than the Marl Downs settler should continue roading north and settle at the B1 spot.

Nice picture! I see you have moved G2 SW a bit, seems for the better. How about, Marl Downs settler to build one road on East GrassLandShield, then found city...

And yes, Reneaux Settler to found M1 River Mouth. That was sort of approved last time. Did someone suggest a Phalanx meet it there to guard immediately? Might be smart.

Future planning: I see Marl Downs as the real Giant, also Reneaux and B1 North Whale. And between Castle Jayne and Iron City is some choice real estate for a Filler!

Jayne, you mean, "A Road for every Serf"? I like it!

Later Settlers can build more connected roads. Mordhiemia has Elvis, and we want a Phalanx for M1, which can be founded in a scant 4 turns from Reneaux. So, change Mordhiemia to a Phalanx, then build a Warrior guard, then finally start a Settler.

Marl Downs Settler in 3 turns. Suggest working Shield, so Settler in 4 and fuller food box for quicker growth back to Size=2. Make 1 Road E of MD, then walk over to G2, building 1 road on GrassLandShield SW of Mordhiemia. Start Temple or Settler?

The G2 spot shown is interesting, but consider this. If we build it NE on Pure Green, we still get a Free Shield. And it can use the Shield on the River Bend, so it needs no road at first. Also a possible filller F4 on the Forest 3NW of RC can have a bit more ocean.

B1 North Whale is a dangerous spot, so I suggest it wait until we have M1 River Mouth built.

How about a Temple or two? Marl Downs comes to mind.

Having voted, I see Mordhiemia Settler has quite a few votes. I would like to recommend strongly against that, assuming Mord is the logical choice to build the Phalanx to immediately guard M1. Then it needs its own happiness control -- a Warrior would be quick.

And Serutan, I do not think you are silly. I appreciate your work on this, and understand we are all rushed. Jayne has given us until Wednesday night... a blessing. What a Queen!

We should not place cities on this coast yet until we have explored by boat for offshrore resources, so we can better decide later. Its not as though this area is in need of urgent colonisation to compete out rivals, and there are no improvements in area

Roads = Riches!!! €£$:king:$£€
20 million romans cant be wrong

Also suggest foresting square below B1 for special resources

Originally posted by civ1-addict
I'd like to know one thing:
How do you make the city-radius visible?
(the white squares in the picture above)
You also need the 2.42-version at least I think. I was supprised when I reinstalled civ2 and they weren't there. Then I realised I hadn't updated it to 2.42.

We should not place cities on this coast yet until we have explored by boat for offshrore resources, so we can better decide later. Its not as though this area is in need of urgent colonisation to compete out rivals, and there are no improvements in area
I do think everyone in here agrees on roads being important, but personally I think getting as many cities started as possible is more important at this time, than having roads built. someone has worked out a resource map, and therefore it is easy to find resources without exploring the square.:) You seem to have noticed this, since you suggested foresting the square below B1:)

someone has worked out a resource map, and therefore it is easy to find resources without exploring the square

I do understand the pattern, but the pattern does not regularly repeat consistetly, sometimes things are missed as they are too close to other sets.
I believe productivity can come from mining improvements/ land transformation for the immediate future - there are poss resources all over the area, and with 5 settlers in prod, with not many great city sites avaliable in the south it should not take that long??:p

Agree w/GN that Mordheimia should change to Phalanx to be sent to M1 spot for immediate guard. MD settler should definitely build some roads on its way to wherever it ends up (G2 looks good; although if there was a guard to go with it, the far north spot would be good to grab quick to prevent Viking incursion on our continent.)

Well Leowind, perhaps we should send a Phalanx up there ASAP, that will stop them from building a city. Yesterday at 9:23PM above, I stated a specific plan. Anyone object to the MD Settler building those two roads? We can decide exactly where G2 goes next turn.

Funxus, I agree, only build a Road here and there so our Serfs are productive.

Rout, we have lost our great advisor Starlifter. Some believe he's off flying equipment to the border of Afghanistan. So you might look at the original threads, before we built our capital, where he and others layed out the resource & hut pattern. Can you help us to apply that map up here?

Leowind has also commented clearly in Boreum City Poll. I do think MD would be a great spot for a Temple, low corruption, Roads GLS, Forests. But if you'd rather another Warrior, I agree it is more flexible.

Governor Serutan, anyone, would you like to refine my 9:23 plan? Or replace it? Jayne will move tomorrow, in about 24 hours, and we need something concrete. Please propose here.

Gary,
Since I won't be able to post in time tomorrow, I'm going to
post recommendations based on the poll + discussion results
in the "Plan for Next Turn" thread now, and leave it to your judgement about any modifications to same.

Funny, it reads as 8:23 on my screen (daylight time?) ...
walk over to G2
All this walking is what tempts me to build a more complete road network, though I haven't done any real analysis of the benefits. Complete roads should definitely be in place when caravans start rolling.

BTW, if this hasn't been expressed before ... Welcome to the game, Rout!! I'm cheered by the way you just jumped into the discussion. Your participation will only make the game better.

I'm beginning to like this Democracy style of Civ2 better than the solo game ...

Top Bottom