More Unique Components for Vox Populi

3rd and 4th Unique Components for VP - Official thread 87

About to start a Rome game and wanted any advice people have on using the new components from this mod. Especially in regards to teching to plantations first for the figs or after getting iron first. Proper way to use ballistas etc. Starting policy tree. Any other advice would also be welcome also.

Autority/Artistry. Get a good vassal early. Ballistae and Legions come online in early Classical: it's a a huge power spike. Try a Stonehenge/Statue of Zeus/Terracotta. On what difficulty level are you playing ?

About to start a Rome game and wanted any advice people have on using the new components from this mod. Especially in regards to teching to plantations first for the figs or after getting iron first. Proper way to use ballistas etc. Starting policy tree. Any other advice would also be welcome also.
I played role a couple of times on Emperor, it can do impressive stuff if you are the kind of players that goes authority lower techs of the tree and likes to expand by conquering early on; Legion/Ballista rush if done right is kind of unstoppable once it starts rolling.
Ideally you want a mining luxury to go SoZ then terracotta and harvest the yields of your neighbors ..... Lantifudium plantations is kind of early trap if you want to play aggressively early on as you would be forced to research 3 techs you would not normally prioritize delaying the lower tree techs and potentially slowing your early game plan.
The other strategy -and my favorite one- is to play wide progress Rome going for lantifudium plantations early on focusing on infrastructure and establishing a 5~6 cities empire with reasonable infrastructure using the capital only to construct buildings then switch to aggression after getting the UB online in all of the core cities as the ballistas and legions don't obsolete until renaissance era and both keep their promotions besides the pilum for legions.
My tech priorities playing progress Rome is pottery to expand as early as possible, Calender to unlock lantifudium if you got a plantation luxury and most importantly Masonry as it unlocks your UB and Terracotta army which is something you generally want to get ASAP.

For Mongolia Yassa Court do the Yield gains upon city capture and Needs Modifiers in all cities work only in Occupied cities only or will those still proc in Puppeted cities?

I'm not sure where to ask this, so I'll try here while assuming Dan the Man can provide an easy answer, but is it possible to have a UB (national wonder replacement in this case, so only 1 allowed) replace 2 buildings in the tech tree?

E.g., a custom National Wonder UB that provides the functions of both the 'National Monument' + 'Heroic Epic' and having it unlock at either 'Iron Working' or 'Drama & Poetry' depending on which is teched first.

Last edited:
Technically no, but you can make a unique replacement for 1 of them that gives all the bonuses you want and then deactivate the other building.

for example, the Aztec floating garden replaces the water mill and the Aztec can’t build wells. They functionally have 2 UBs, where 1 is the floating garden and the other is NULL.

you can also look at Poland’s barbican as an example, since that nominally replaces both the castles and armoires (but technically it is a castle)

Thank you.

Last one more for ya: is it technically possible to implement a unique Great Prophet replacement, and if so, is there any civ you can think of (regardless of VP compatibility) that already utilizes this feature? Do you think that sounds like an interesting idea?

Wow, so definitely not a unique idea...

Nice to see that it can be applied though, so thanks again!

A unique Great Prophet for Best Korea would be a nice touch, indeed. :D

A unique Great Prophet for Best Korea would be a nice touch, indeed. :D
You sly dog... How did you know?

It may take me some time, but I assure you it will be glorious!

All the other prophets: :old: :jesus: :bowdown:

My prophet: :devil: :satan: :ar15:

Apologies if this is a dup or something I missed. The Leader Traits are reverting to vanilla VP and not the More Unique Components Traits.

Getting back to Civ5/VP ( the one true mod) after more than a year (too long!). Installed VP(6-19-2) and More Unique Components for VP (v 60). Working great except I'm not seeing the MUC Leader Traits.

Example: Phoenician Heritage is 125 gold per city. free lighthouse and double trade route resource dIversity (rather than 175 gold, free lighthouse and triple diversity).

The UB and UU components are there (Tophet and Shophet in this example). I looked at the mod files and it looks like the traits are not there. So maybe they were removed? I'm a bit confused. Also, cleared the C5 cache and ModUserData and restarted (just in case ...)

Example: Phoenician Heritage is 125 gold per city. free lighthouse and double trade route resource dIversity (rather than 175 gold, free lighthouse and triple diversity).
That is the VP trait, it has just been changed since a year ago.

the vanilla trait was free harbours and units could cross mountains.

Humm, OK, I wasn't clear enough. This is from the first post in this thread, showing the changes for each civ. At this point, I'm assuming the changes to traits are obsolete and the VP Traits are the traits being used. (Which is probably a good thing since many were very OP )

upload_2020-9-20_9-54-42.png

Yeah, that's just a 2 year old picture. I don't go back and reupload the pictures every time something changes. If VP goes gold and stops changing things every version I would update that page, but for now I just make sure the text is up to date with the added components.

MUCfVP just adds 2 unique components. I do minimal changes to VP's base components. Often just changing AI flavors and starting biases to integrate the new components. There was 1 point where MUCfVP changed a UA for the celts, but we reworked the unique component so that was no longer necessary. That's the only case where the VP unique trait was ever changed by this mod.

It's still the VP trait; the VP trait has changed though.

It sounds weaker, but G changed how resource diversity works and that ability is stronger now, and lighthouses have been buffed repeatedly, so Carthage is actually stronger now.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm a (retired) Java developer and I looked at your code, it's very good! Thanks for that.

Top Bottom