A bizarre attempt to Save Enterprise

Sounds pretty dumb if you ask me. I wouldnt pay one nickel to make any of these shows. Id withhold my nickel unless they agreed to fire Blacula.

Well, people do as they wish with their own money. I choose not to do as these people though.

if this gets anywhere near the half way point, i'll donate, even though i've seen maybe two or three episodes of enterprise max.
sounds like a great idea, and if it works (and it can i think), then this could set a prety cool precident.

Paying for the cost of running the season isn't enough. That is not even the major problem. The problem is that Enterprise does not draw the viewers that it needs to (duh) and therefore neither does it draw the advertising firms. UPN could replace it with a show that they pay for themselves and still make more money than by running Enterprise, paid for by viewers.

How about Jason Alexander as Captain, and Halley Berry as the Vulcan chick:crazyeye:

John HSOG said:
Paying for the cost of running the season isn't enough. That is not even the major problem. The problem is that Enterprise does not draw the viewers that it needs to (duh) and therefore neither does it draw the advertising firms. UPN could replace it with a show that they pay for themselves and still make more money than by running Enterprise, paid for by viewers.

If the fans raise the entire Production cost, then every cent of ad time that is sold becomes profit for UPN (because they have plenty of time to promote it during their other shows since none of them sell out ad time).

Enterprise is still getting better ratings than almost any show on the network, and double the ratings of what was previously on Friday night (random 1 or 2 star film).

It's been slashdotted. :eek: I weep for the Trekbbs forum's bandwidth bill.

"Beam me up Scotty, they are all mad here!"

kittenOFchaos said:
What is more amazing is that this sort of thing hasn't happened before to my knowledge.

Hell, no millionaires/billionaires like Babylon 5? Damn, just damn as it would have been so good to keep that going onwards :D
Babylon 5 was going to have 5 seasons, regardless of success. TNT probably would have picked up a 6th had it been made available, but Straczynsky never had any intention of making it. This, I think, is part of what makes the show so good. With a limited timeframe to tell his story he wastes very little time.

Cu Chulainn said:
Babylon 5 was going to have 5 seasons, regardless of success. TNT probably would have picked up a 6th had it been made available, but Straczynsky never had any intention of making it. This, I think, is part of what makes the show so good. With a limited timeframe to tell his story he wastes very little time.

There was alot of fuss as regarding whether season 5 would ever see the light of day, thus that rubbish episode slapped onto the end of season 4 to "round things up".

kittenOFchaos said:
There was alot of fuss as regarding whether season 5 would ever see the light of day, thus that rubbish episode slapped onto the end of season 4 to "round things up".
Yes, but at least we got a 5th season out of the deal, even if it is Ivanovaless. G'kar and Londo are the main characters of the series anyway ;).

ChrTh said:
If the fans raise the entire Production cost, then every cent of ad time that is sold becomes profit for UPN (because they have plenty of time to promote it during their other shows since none of them sell out ad time).

Enterprise is still getting better ratings than almost any show on the network, and double the ratings of what was previously on Friday night (random 1 or 2 star film).

It's been slashdotted. :eek: I weep for the Trekbbs forum's bandwidth bill.

Sure, the advertising would be all pure profit, but the fact still is that there is very little advertising coming in. They need a show that people will watch so that ad firms will buy air time. They aren't doing that while Enterprise is on.

@John. That is because they put it in the worst time slot available, on a rarely watched network.

What other show do they have that does much better? Maybe America's Next Top Model (shutters)

Man, what do you think will happen if you piss off Trekkies? They control the internet and most mass media. They won't sit idly by and watch the last remnant of their ideology slip away.

And I say, good on them!

You're talking about the same group of people who managed to save The Original Series twice in a row, only to be shafted by NBC's putting it on a Friday night at ten o'clock, when its viewers were out having lives. It's the same group of people who wrote into NASA and managed to get the first space shuttle- though it's never been used- named Enterpise. The same group of people who created an entire eighth season for DS9 solely in books. Frankly, I'm not suprised the fans are trying to do something. Even if the show itself is bad, real trekkies are going to try to save it, for the sake of the Franchise. It's the way we are.

Top Bottom