A Brave New Succession Game

My guess is js was preparing an attack of Russia and the Japanese army came out of nowhere. But I don't know, I just opened the save, saw that York was not there anymore and ther was a settler almost built in London, so it happened somewhat early in js' turn I suppose.

Pydgie is up next.

Yeah, I suppose. I think it was funnier to me because of how long the story went without updating, and then you said things were going well, so I figured nothing overly unexpected happened.

I definitely was positioned in a defensive war with Russia when I gave up the game, and looking at the map again, York is not in an incredibly defensive position. A quick Japanese army definitely could have come out of nowhere with no warning with the vision we have. Japan is not an overly trustworthy civ, so maybe we can get a scout to look at Japanese lands and try to get a little bit more vision to see the next mobilization coming?

Looking back at it, I probably would have lost York if I were playing as well. Road to York regardless, if the Japanese army was huge, it could have easily taken a city before any adequate defenders could come over and defend it. The DoF with Japan was an interesting one though. On one hand, if we're going to continue conquests after Russia (and we should conquer Russia, though I recommend leaving them Rostov, let them know what it's like to be a city state for once), Japan would have been an excellent diplomatic option to conquest. The warmonger penalty for taking York was pretty big, and being pretty isolationist, Japan probably won't be overly popular this game.

On the other hand, Japan looks pretty hard to actually conquer, and Cumae looks so, so easy to just pick off. After our DoF with Rome expires, we may want to denounce them. Maybe we could trick them in to capturing Rostov through keeping it at 1 hp through longbows (and wiping out Russia) and get them hated through that. That maneuver would solve two problems at once, but would also rely on Rome making a real effort to catch the city, which is not necessarily going to happen. We would need to give them open borders at least if this plan was going to work, although we could always abandon it if it doesn't.

Yeah I took one look at Japan and my thought was : "Ship of the Line". So I feel fine DoFing them in the meantime, especially because we need somewhere to send those cargo ships to. I'm assuming Rome has coastal cities that would allow trade with the Ottomans and then Japan will be less useful.

Besides, Pompey has deserted to us, I take that as a sign that we should attack Rome next :p.

My guess is js was preparing an attack of Russia and the Japanese army came out of nowhere. But I don't know, I just opened the save, saw that York was not there anymore and ther was a settler almost built in London, so it happened somewhat early in js' turn I suppose.

Pydgie is up next.

This is pretty much right, sorry but I was really busy and never had the time to write up, I can say what I remember though. I was attacking Russia with newly-upgraded longbowmen, and I would've probably gotten St. Petersburg, but out of nowhere Japan attacked me (late in my turn) I only saw about 2 units from Japan, but out of nowhere their ally Melbourne came with a giant army. I made peace with Russia, but York was taken and razed before I could get there. I beat Melbourne's army and built a settler to rebuild York (and call it New York.) I'm not sure, but I think that settler was originally meant for a 3rd city. Also, the Zulu conquered the Mayans during my turn.

Pydgie doesn't appear to have been on the forums so I think cpm can take this one if he's up for it. We'll fit Pydgie in as soon as he comes back, if no one has problems with that.

Will try to play the turn shortly; very busy all of a sudden so it may be a bit.

Yes and no - schedule blew up a couple weeks ago and I haven't had time to do this (play and write a proper update), so I'm gonna drop for now and try to come back when I have more time.

OK then, no worries.

Next on the queue is Silverman, if you're still following this ? Otherwise it comes back to js.

I'm dropping out, just took HSA, but I still have finals in a week :( sorry about this.

Top Bottom