A Brave New Succession Game

In Soviet Russia, Longbows destroy YOU !

Wait, that's the same as everywhere else. Because Longbows are awesome. Looking forward to see Catherine bite the dust... actually, I'm next I think ? Unless js has access again ?

Historical Background
The British peoples and leaders have a long-standing tradition where they discuss plans that will result in the inevitable destruction of the Russian Empire. This tradition started way back, 4000 years in the past, when people had notably higher lifespans than they do today. While Teproc imagined a time when the English would stand triumphant over the Russians, the great leader Pydgie is usually given credit for the start of this tradition. First, he triumphantly ordered an attack against a Russian warrior, which was supposed to steal and enslave a Russian settler. Then, after this glorious plan was put in to action, he ordered the training of another archer with the intent of successfully taking Saint Petersburg.

The Majah of Raspur continued our long tradition of intending to defeat the Russian Empire as he issued a declaration of war against the empire. He also led a glorious plan with the goal of capturing a worker from a city-state, which improved our war room strategy moral significantly.

Silverman continued this tradition even further when, after many sleepless nights, created the best plan yet that would inevitably result in the death of every Russian in the world. Unfortunately, he fell unconscious before he could tell anyone else the plan, so we do not have much information on what type of imaginary glory he was going to receive. He did wake up, however, and created a new set of plans with the goal of going on the offensive and taking Russian cities. This plan earned him much glory and fame in our land of rocks.

When the stoning competition completed and Silverman was no more, everyone thought JS had won. When he was announcing his leadership speech, a new stone came out of nowhere and went straight over the new leader’s head. The throwing of the stone was considered an insult and an objection in the English society, and out of the chaos, a new man stepped out to the front.

“I demand a mistrial! I overslept the stone leadership contest, and I would have won it. Here, I’ll prove it to you! Put me and JS back there, and I will outlast him.”

The community seemed to agree with this objection, and a new contest was held. To avoid dying in the unfair competition (JS was not in the best of shapes after getting hit by hundreds of stones), JS surrendered the throne to Redwings1340, who won the contest without taking a single stone.

Upon reaching the throne, Redwings1340 continued the tradition like never before. Looking over his army of one spearman and one composite bowman, he made a speech to signal the intent to conquer all the Russian lands.

“Today, under a new leadership, we will defend ourselves from the Russian scourge that has disgusted this world. We will raid their villages and capture their workers. We will build composite bowmen to take their cities, and Katherine will come to me, kneeling, and look up to my face and say, ‘save me’. And I’ll whisper, ‘No’. Her cities will be taken, her science will be ours, and we will become the biggest power in the history of the world!”

This speech left the citizens of England feeling proud of their new leader, as this was the biggest imaginary victory over the Russians ever to be thought of. Not only would the Russians die, as was Silverman’s victory, but the Russians would also become enslaved and would do the bidding of the English. The victory was sweet, and would be sung about throughout Redwings1340’s reign.

The Reign of Redwings1340
Redwings1340 would put a huge value on a ranged military that wouldn’t have to engage the Russian pointy sticks directly. For a good four hundred years, the leader would order the construction of several composite bowmen from both great English cities, delaying all infrastructure improvements until the war was winnable. He would also finish constructing a horseman from the city of London, although the life of the troop of horses was cut short in 275 BC.

In 325 BC, Redwings1340’s first true military victory over the Russians was won when group of spearman infiltrated enemy territory and enslaved a Russian worker. The group of spearmen took heavy damage from composite bowmen and a city, but escaped the land heavily wounded, both mentally and physically. This captured worker would prove instrumental in the efforts of building a road between London and York, which was used to help York Composite Bowmen reach the front lines in the war faster.

In 175 BC, the war was going on and on, and newer generations of English knew nothing but war. Well, nothing but war and rocks. That never went away or anything. A lot of war though. A new codified law was put in place where all civilians would get military training, and the experience rate of our soldiers increased dramatically (military tradition).

In 50 BC, the Russians would get revenge on the spearman troop that stole their worker, as he went on a mission to kill off a Russian swordsman, succeeded beyond expectation, but then got killed off by other Russian soldiers afterwards. Katherine once again sent messengers with peace treaties where they would control the city of York, but we threw stones at the messengers. In Russia, the English were increasingly being known as those annoying guys who shoot arrows and throw stones at us. Nobody in Russia was really certain of our motivation for killing them, only that we love to do it.

Romans and Diplomacy
In 225 AD, Rome was mobilizing troops in and around the Russian borders. Nobody in England was quite sure if they were doing it to send an army in to the heart of England itself, or if they were massing for an invasion of Russia. Still, Redwings1340 saw an opportunity to get an ally in the war, and sent away the Roman army with 13 gold per turn and a couple of horses. The Roman army in turn started attacking the Russian Empire, and is most likely getting slaughtered, as their troops were not in a great position for a unified attack. Still, our gesture was enough for Augustus Caesar to come to us with a declaration of friendship offer, which we gladly accepted, as Rome is not Russia, and therefore is fine.

The Next Leader
At long last, the throwing stones competition was to be held to determine the next leader. Redwings1340 was old and didn’t compete this time, despite common custom for leaders to die in the throwing of the stones that would determine their successor. JS would become the first repeat winner of this competition, as his ability to take stones to the head is unmatched among the population. It was truly impressive, and at the competition people were starting to wonder if Redwings1340 was ever a legitimate leader, and whether his excuse actually made sense. Still, with the coming of longbows, JS was predicted to be a glorious leader that would lead the English Empire to unprecedented heights.

Other Notes
I lost both of our melee units, but we do have 6 composite bowmen, and 450 gold. We get machinery in 10 turns, so I’m thinking we have a good chance of succeeding in this war very soon. One of our bowmen has logistics, but the others are not very well promoted right now. Make sure you upgrade the longbow that has logistics immediately after getting machinery. We will also want a melee unit, possibly a horseman or something, once we get longbows, because we can’t take cities right now.

I’d suggest getting sailing immediately after machinery, because cargo ships are useful. It’s weird that we’ve delayed that tech so long as England.

Roman legions were everywhere in Russian territory before the DoW. Be careful not to weaken cities too much without a way to take them this turn. We don’t want Rome to take our prizes.

There’s a forest in the northeast away from Russia that I think would make a great third city spot. I didn’t create a settler because of happiness issues that will come out of taking Russian cities, but keep that spot in mind. It has two fish, a ton of resources. It’s just a good spot, and I think one we should take eventually. The deer might actually be a better spot because of the mountain, idk, but both spots are pretty good.

Take it away, JS. You get the fun part! :)

Oh, and here's a screenshot.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Succession Game Kill Russia!.Civ5Save
    983.8 KB · Views: 243
Nice. It seems the Romans are attacking the Russians like crazy from what you been describing. I'd say, if we've got six composites about to be upgraded to longbows, then we don't need an infantry as much as a cavalry. If we've got horses that is. Maybe train a cavalry or two and then perhaps an infantry. We should also consider catapults or trebuchets (whichever on we have the tech for)

Here's my reasoning:

1. We have lots of ranged units
2. The Romans are helping us

In that case we won't need an infantry as much as cavalry. Cavalry to rush in and take cities at the last second, and also to guard the archers' flanks.

But I'm sure you know what you're doing js. I just had what you might be calling an epiphany. :)

Unfortunately, I traded away my horses to Rome to get them to declare war against Russia. I doubt that Rome actually wanted the horses, and it was probably a mistake not to request the deal without me giving away horses. Oh well. Also, I can't speak to what is happening to Catherine on the Roman border, but the legions that were near my border are getting slaughtered pretty quickly. Charging cities with a couple of melee units against a well fortified army is not a recipe for success. A couple of Legions went to attack near Novgorod and died, while you can see another one about to die near St Petersburg.

With Katherine pretty distracted here though, she might have left Moscow relatively undefended. That's probably where Rome will do the most damage, although I doubt they'll be successful. Russia is usually prepared for land invasions. They might also send some more units to attack Saint Petersburg though, as they have a direct invasion path to it, which is good because Legions can tank shots that would otherwise be attacking some of our melee units before they take cities, and Katherine can't be as aggressive against our upcoming Longbows as would be optimal.

With longbows, I'm not really sure there's much of a point for siege weaponry. Longbows don't siege cities particularly quickly, but they are effective, as they can shoot cities forever without taking damage. Early siege weaponry is just really fragile and dies super quickly, so I tend not to like them much. Except for the siege UUs. Siege Towers are amazing.

Oh, I didn't see the screenshot. I'd assumed there were more legions in sight. Too bad about the horses. I agree about the siege units seeing Russia's military now they would be useless. But if we do get horses... Then longbows and knights combined are unstoppable. They are almost as good as Keshiks! :D

Don't worry, I edited this post several times from my initial post. I think I added in a screenshot a day after I posted the initial write up, possibly after you read the post the first time.

In case this wasn't already clear, the next person (Teproc) can go before I do my story. I'm pretty busy right now so it might be a little while before I can write it.

I personally kind of like having the story before I play my turn in these games at least. It's not just a creative story, but also a summation of events and a hint to the next player of what to do, especially on the diplomatic front, where it not be immediately obvious who are long term friends or enemies and such.

Still, I am not going next, and it's your choice when to play Teproc.

I agree, I haven't looked at the save right now because I'm waiting for the story ! Which is not to say you have to do it quickly, we're not really on a clock here, I'm fine with waiting a bit.

I'll be out of town starting Thursday, so I'll play this tomorrow regardless of story, but it would be nice having it ;)

And play it I did. I won't do story until js does his (also I'm tired, it's late over here ^^), but that was a satisfying session.

Edit : Added a screenshot in spoilers.

Spoiler :
We took Saint Petersburg and Moscow is about to fall... although we'll have to be careful about the Romans stealing it from us. Also, our general is Ivan the Terrible. Seriously. That's hilarious. We also spawned Pompey for our next target :lol:

Attachments

• Elizabeth_0175 AD-1150.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 211
Whatever, I'm bored, I'm writing my story anyway !

The return of the Teproc dynasty

No one quite knows what happened during js_9001 reign over England. It was referred to as "the dark ages" and all that is remembered from that somber period is that England got involved in a war with Japan and the city state of Melbourne, a war that resulted in the razing of York. Whether js died trying to defend York or was executed for failing to defend his country, we will never know. Whatever the case may be, js mysteriously disappeared and England found itself without a leader. No one was all that enthusiastic about stepping up to the task, what with the country facing impending doom from Japanese Samurais and all that. But a young man, claiming to be the last descendant of the founder the English nation, the great Teproc himself, declared he would gladly become the ruler of the English people, thank you very much, under the name of Teproc the Second. No one quite knows if his claim was true, and some whisper that he might have had something to do with js' death, but the times were rough, and people were mostly glad they weren't going to have to throw rocks at each other again.

War and Peace with Japan

The retribution for York's razing turned out to be swift and easy. Longbows sank foolish Samurais trying to lead an attack through the bay of Melbourne, and flanked the rest of the Japanese forces between the mountains south of London. Peace was signed with the Japanese, in the hopes that they would become a trading partner while Russia suffered the price of settling lands that rightfully belonged to England. Some were surprised by the quick forgiveness, but it was also motivated by the famed harshness of Japanese lands, stuck between mountains and lakes, and thus notoriously hard to conquer. The Japanese were also quick to forgive and later proposed bonds of friendships with England. Whatever the quarrel that lead to war was long forgotten anyway, and Teproc II had eyes on another prize : Saint Petersburg.

The siege of Saint-Petersburg

Helped by the renegade Russian general named Ivan the Terrible, he determined that chopping the forest east of Saint Petersburg would allow British longbows a clear line of attack to the city itself, and made plans to declare war as soon as those pesky trees were gone. He enrolled Augustus in the fight, at the price of a fairly heavy tribute, but ordered construction of cargo ships to be sent from the newly rebuilt York to the Japanese city of Osaka, helping finance this endeavor.

Then came the time for war. Catherine send unit after unit to try and break the siege of Saint Petersburg, but they all fell to the legendary English Longbowmen. Eventually, Saint Petersburg fell, and the English rejoiced at this first victory against the evil Russian Empire. During the siege, Suleiman came to London and developed friendship with Teproc II, giving him counsel for the Russian war, and even declaring war on behalf of the Ottomans on the Russian Empire of Doom. It was mostly a symbolic gesture, but one that bode well for England's standing in world diplomacy.

World Congress and the march on Moscow

Which was a good thing, because soon thereafter, the World Congress was founded in Rome, leading Teproc II to meet a strange man apparently obsessed with war... SHAKA ! Living south of the continent, he had already annihilated the peaceful Mayan people, and would certainly be someone to be wary of in the future... Conscious that, between all these wars, England had fallen behind on other nations scientifically, Teproc II proposed that scientific secrets would be more openly shared between civilizations in the future (Scholars in Residence).

Catherine, meanwhile, came begging for peace at Teproc's temporary camp outside of Saint Petersburg. To that his only response was to spit on her face. Not very nice, sure, but at least he didn't throw rocks at her, as was the usual greeting custom for Russian ambassadors in England.

As the British army was meeting with Roman forces and starting to besiege Moscow, as well as sending troops to harass the city of Novgorod, Teproc II died from illness. Wars were very dangerous at the time, and people died of gangrene from battle wounds all the time, but it was vastly accepted at the time that Catherine had somehow poisoned him as a last, desperate try to save the Russian Empire of Evilness and Wrong-Doing. The truth of this we will never know, but Catherine will certainly regret ever trying to face the mighty kingdom of England, that is for certain.

OOC : I don't mean the stuff about the "dark ages" js, I'm just doing a "history is written by the winners" thing and it seemed like a good way to explain why I don't know exactly how we lost York and stuff like that ^^.

I'm not sure bribing Augustus was a good idea, Catherine was much weaker than I thought, and now we're going to have to be careful that he doesn't steal Moscow from us, as he has a few muskets around the city, but oh well. That's for Pydgie to worry about ! :rolleyes:

Not quite sure what we do about the northern Russian cities. Normally I would just leave them there but razing Russia altogether makes sense from a RP perspective. Just be wary of the diplomatic consequences.

There's a screenshot of our current situation in the spoiler from my initial post.

No one quite knows what happened during js_9001 reign over England. It was referred to as "the dark ages" and all that is remembered from that somber period is that England got involved in a war with Japan and the city state of Melbourne, a war that resulted in the razing of York.

Hold up... I just had to stop and read that sentence a few more times.

We lost York?????

Seriously, we LOST YORK??? I was like 10 turns away from Longbows! How did you lose York???

It's all right, I don't blame you, but oh my god I did not see that coming. I'm laughing so much right now. Biggest surprise I've seen since TPP successfully caught Zapdos.

All right, I'll read the rest of the story now. God, After we take care of Russia, Japan will need to pay for their sins against England.

Just read the rest, and it looks like things are progressing pretty decently. We do need Moscow though, since it's kind of been our goal for the past, well, entire game. Who's up next?

Top Bottom