A council of dooooooooooooom! Italy in World War 2

Volum

The Zapper
"Your all useless!" Benito Mussolini yelled.
"Grand fascist council my ass! You couldn't counsel anything!"
"But I'm gonna make my own council, a council of doooooooooooooom!"
*scary dark violin music*
"But isn't that just stealing ideas from the old great Scottish master of war Kan' Sharuminar?" one of the members asked.
"Nonsense!" replied Mussolini, "Kan always used a council of doom, i will have a council of dooooooooooooooooooooooom!"
*scary violin music again*
"Where's that music coming from?" somebody asked.
"Oh I've rented the Rome violin quartet to play scary music every time i say council of dooooooooooooooom"
*scary violin music again"
"Fancy, i know. But your all just wasting good furniture sitting there on your fat pizza round asses, get out before i have you all thrown in front of a train, and you know damn well it will be on schedule too!".

Alright, so i stole the council of doom. If anybody needs it, its Italy. Weak tech team, weak old army, not that much of manpower and a weak industrial base. But anyhooo, all that will easily be fixed by the great Benito Mussolini!

First off, lets see what we have to deal with.

The Italian boot, with our possessions in North Africa, Sardinia, and Rhodes.

Italian East Africa. We are at war with Ethiopia, and we have 20 divisions ready for our offensive, shouldn't be much more then a parade to Addis Ababa really.

Our diplomatic status. We make moves to become more hawkish. Yugoslavia has some of our rightful land! Which we hopefully one day will get back!

Our army size, the army is still using equipment from the Great war, and needs to get new equipment sometime.

Our airforce, while decent in size, it is horrible outdated with some planes dating back to the Great war.

The navy. Its not very big, and its also starting to age. If we intend to make the Mediterranean an Italian lake, it will need to be enlarged to have any hope of contending with the Royal Navy.

This is our current research. And here you see one of Italy's largest problem. It only has four research slots and can only research four techs at a time, unlike the major powers who can research 5. Italy currently does not have the industrial capacity to have 5 research slots. And that will be the councils first discussion:

Italy currently has a base IC (Industrial capacity) of 64. In order to get 5 research slots we need 80. Italy could build factories to get that up to 80. But if we build factories we cant upgrade our army, reinforce it, or produce anything new.

Option 1:

Italy needs 5 research slots if it wants to keep up technologically, right now Italy has the capacity to produce 8 factories a year, if we produce nothing but factories for 2 years, then in January 1938 we would get our 5 reserach team, plus have a base ic of a little over 80, in case we should lose some of it. This will in the long run allow us to train more soldiers, build more airplanes and build more ships.

Option 2

The Italian army is understrength and outdated, the navy is small, and the airforce is small and outdated as well. What Italy needs is a larger, more modern army, airforce and navy! To wait until 1938 before starting to increase the army is to large a risk, by then it might already be to late! Italy needs to increase and modernize its army, and it needs to do it no!

And so the council of doooooooooooom *scary violin music* was forced to make a decision. There could be no compromise. Benito Mussolini only had one problem, he needed to find himself a council fast. Everyone was welcome, he needed ministers, generals, admirals and advisers And a pizza boy would be nice too.

Council members

Head of Government: Volum Mussolini
Chief of Army:Field Marshall Kan' Sharuminar
Chief of Navy:Admiral Nodikus
Chief of Airforce:Air marshal PrinceScamp
Chief of intelligence: Raisin Bran
Field Marshall D'Artagnan
Field Marshall Equuleus
Minister of silly walks SuperBeaverInc.
Coffeeboy Captain2
Adviser Davo
Ambassador e350tb

(Ironman)
(Berrie)
(ArneHD)
(Gaius Octavius)

Option 1.

And I call Ministry of Sicily Silly Walks

Option 1
I'll take Chief of the Navy.

"Good evening gentlemen, please take your seats" Benito Mussolini pointed towards the chairs.
"First off, i would like to welcome you all to my council of dooooooooooooooooom"
*scary dark violin music*
"I think we should start over with a introduction round. This is PrinceScamp, famous pilot and now leader of the Regia Aeronautica. I trust he will help us dominate the skies"
"Here we have Admiral Nodikus, Chief of the Regia Marina. He will make us dominate the seas!"
"Over there we have the great Kan' Sharu-something, he will lead our glorious army. And by his side is Field Marshal D'Artagnan."
"We also have our own coffee boy, Captain2, he makes the best coffee in the known world, and will always help us the keep our energy up"
"And last, we have Superbeaver, minister of silly walks. His department will invent silly walks that will make our soldiers impossible to shoot! MUwHAHA!".

"Alright, we're gonna start with a general status report"

Construction of factories have started
Construction of a total of 16 factories over 2 years have started, with 8 made each year. In one year we will get 8 extra IC from the first round of factories, 5 of these will go into another factory actually making the total 17, while the 3 remaining will most likely go into supplies.

Italy has severe resource problems
Italy does not produce enough electricity, metal, rare materials or oil. Therefore we must produce extra supplies to trade to other countries for these resources. We have made a number of trades with our friends in Germany, and also small one with the Soviets. By late January Italy started to make a surplus in all resources.".

Launching of the Eugenio di Savoia
The Regia Marina has a new ship! The light cruiser Eugenio di Savoia was launched on the 17. of January, with admiral Nodikus personally bringing the ship out of port. She will be the last ship constructed for a long time.

"Now our Chief of Army Kan' Sharuminar has prepared a special report from the war in Ethiopia:

"Thank you, i will just show you some slides and give a short info for your pleasure."

"Here you see the initial plan drawn up by Field Marshall D'Artagnan. PrinceScamp would provide air support with a squadron of tactical bombers."

"Here our units have made contact with a small Ethiopian army, as soon as the sun rose they where quickly brushed aside"

"Early on the 19. of January our forces reached Dire Dawa, and quickly from there attacked Addis Ababa.The attack went without problems, and the terrain was more of a problem then their army.

"And on 7 of February Addis Ababa was occupied, and the country surrendered and was annexed into the Italian empire."

"Thank your for that wonderful presentation Mr. Kan, now i believe we must look at some of the issues on todays agenda".

Discussion

1. What to do with Militia?

The Italian army currently has 10 Militia units. If the Italians want a large and feared army, Militia are not ideal as front line troops. What should we use them for, if at all?

Option 1: The Militia can be used to garrison Ethiopia, while there are no partisans in Ethiopia, the Militia could be used as a form of resistance should a war (presumably with Great Britain) break out.

Option 2: Ethiopia cannot be properly defended without a decent sized force, that in case of war with Britain (which is most likely) cannot be supplied anyway. Transport the Militia out of Ethiopia with the rest of the regular army, and use them as beach defenses in Africa/Italy/Rhodes.

Option 3: We have no use for the Militia. They use supplies which could be better used traded away for other resources from Germany

Should the vote in the council end in a tie, the Chief of Army gets the last say.

Discussion number 2:
The fate of Ethiopia

Ethiopia has few resources, little IC, and is almost impossible to defend in case of a war

Option 1:

Ethiopia is a part of the Italian empire, and shall remain under direct Italian rule.

Option 2:

It is better to release Ethiopia as a puppet, so it can produce divisions to defend itself, while we get any extra resources they may have.

Discussion number 3

The Regia Marina has a number of obsolete destroyers and submarines from the Great War, do we have any use for them?

Option 1: Yes, they can still kill cant they?

Option 2: No, they are nothing more then floating pieces of scrap metal that wouldn't last 5 minutes in a real engagement. Better to disband them for the manpower and supplies.

Should the vote end in a tie, the chief of the navy will get the last say.

And so the council once again must make hard choices, of course the council was a little bit thin in ranks so anyone who wanted too could and should join the counsel, its your duty to Italy!

Sorry if the last parts seems a little rushed, i have to get to bed and have a history test tomorrow that will decide my grade for the year. List over the counsel (Kan style :p) comes tomorrow.

Advisor Davo reporting for duty!

The millitia I reccomend using to garrison Ethiopia for the time being. They cna always be replaced later on when our factories are built up! And keep Ethiopia as part of the empire, under direct control! All ships should be kept avialable...we never know when they may be needed for war!

1: Option 1

2: Option 1

3: Option 1

I call position as German Ambassador.

Option 4: build nothing else but militia and artillery. Cost-quality it's the best option.

Option One on all counts.

The militia in Ethiopia would be ideal to deal with a possible war against Britain, who no doubt will only utilise regional militia in their colonies nearby. Victory would be assured if we send one or two regular infantry divisions there, but if it comes to war with Britain, then our main fight will be against Egypt.

Naturally, it would be ideal to have Ethiopia under our full control to maximise our military potential there. Their main armies couldn't cope with us in open warfare, what good will a rabble of rebels do?

The navy is not my department, so I have little interest in whether old ships are scrapped or continue to be utilised. The older vessels could protect our national waters around the mainland, while newer vessels patrol the Mediterranean.

Option 1: Just use them to free up regular forces and in case of partisans

Option 1: We went to the trouble of conquering it didn't we?

Option 1: Better to have the older ships if in case we need them for an emergency than to scrape them.

Option 1 for all

Option 1, Option 2 and Option 1

who ordered the Mocha?

You should be aware that releasing Ethiopia will likely cause a massive dissent hit from an event.

Code:
event = {
	id = 15141
	trigger = { 
	puppet = { country = ETH country = ITA }
	}
	random = no

country = ITA 

name = "EVT_15100_NAME"
	desc = "EVT_15100_DESC"
	style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
	offset = 1
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1963 }

action_a = {
		name = "EVT_15100_ACTA"
		command = { type = dissent value = 10 }
		}
	}

With the end of the Ethiopian war, things seemed to quiet down for a little while. Regular Italian army units started marching towards Massaua where they would be shipped back to Italy, while Militia units took up defensive positions. As by the council's orders the Militia where to stay behind and protect Ethiopia from any threat.

Italian soldiers march by a monument of Volum Mussolini

On the home front, new technologies had been researched. Over a short period 4 projects where done.

And they where replaced by these:

PrinceScamp was particularly pleased with the research being done on the Reggiane Re 2000 Falco. Even if the Fiat CR32 had just finished its prototype testing, it was still a biplane. And while the Fiat CR32 indeed was one of the best biplanes ever built, PrinceScamp still believed that the age of the biplane was over. Existing squadrons may be given the Fiat CR32 as replacement for the older planes in the future, but all new squadrons created in the future will use the Re 2000 Falco, until new designs are put on the table of course.

Above: The Fiat CR32
Under: The Reggiane Re 2000 Falco

Apart from German reoccupation of the Rhineland, the crushing of a coup in Japan, and a peace treaty between the nationalists and communists in China not much was going on in the world. At least not that interested Italy, however, in the early morning on the 18 July there was some hectic activity in Rome, as council where gathering for an emergency meeting.

"Gentlemen, Franco has launched his coup in Spain"
*Wohoo, cheers from some of the members of the council*
"Unfortunately, it didn't go quite as planed, and now the Spanish are in a civil war"
"Are we gonna give support to Franco?" Adviser Davo asked.
"Ive already arranged for sending volunteers", Mussolini said, "coughandalloursuppliesandmoneycough".
"You what?" Kan' Sharuminar suddenly turned his head towards the head of the table where Volum Mussolini was sitting.
"What? Oh i, well...., ehm...., you see, sometimes, ehmmm, well, there might have been a little misunderstanding, but no big deal"
"You sent Franco all our supplies and money?"
"Its not like we had that much of it to begin with, no need to place blame here, come on, Kan just show us your map of Spain"

"This is a few hours old, but the Republicans have already retaken Valladolid, and this was before someone gave away all our money and supplies" Kan gave a glance towards Mussolini.
"Alright Kan i get it, your mad, but we all make mistakes. I seem to remember a certain party congress around Christmas 1934.
"Look, i don't think this quite...." Kan started
"Yes Kan I'm sure she said she was 16, just tell us what you think about Spain"
*Long uncomfortable silence*

"To be honest, i don't think Franco will win this without serious outside help, the Republicans control almost all the important areas, and have a larger army. Even with our troops, and the German condor legion i don't think its enough"
"Honestly, i don't see how Franco can win this without a more direct form of intervention. And while we are pretty much without supplies and money right now, a friendly government that close to Gibraltar, would be extremely beneficiary for us".

Discussion

While its still early in the war, it looks unlikely that the nationalists will win without more direct Italian help. However Italy has no (0,zero) supplies, and actually have a little debt when it comes to money after giving it all in support of Franco.

Option 1: The Italian industry is currently very hard pressed and the supplies for a direct intervention cant be produced without delaying production for some of our factories. This will lead to us getting a 5 research slot later, we will be more behind when it comes to technology. Increasing the army will have to wait, so will the airforce and navy, something that has already been postponed with 2 years. The war has just begun, its not even certain Franco has lost yet, and we don't even know if we will let us join the war. Not to mention we will also bring the British, French and Americans eyes on us. Italy cannot afford a war right now.

Option 2: Italy should try to get in an alliance with Franco and the Nationalists and intervene directly in the Spanish Civil war. This would lead to a friendly government close to Gibraltar, and allow us to have troops stationed nearby that can seal of the Mediterranean Sea from the West soon after a war is declared. If more supplies cant be produced for the army without delaying other projects, some of the factories we are making are simply just going to have to wait.

Note: The Spanish civil war event emptied our supply stockpile, and cash. In case you hadn't noticed, Italy doesn't have much of anything:mischief:

Hmmmm tough choice. Whilst I lean towards option 1, I wish to see what the rest of the council has to say.

Top Bottom