A new SG for the unbeliever -> Me :) Goz1 in CIV5

gozpel

Couch-potato (fortified)
I'm gonna try to see if I can attract a little crowd of faithful ppl, who wants to play and want to see the game to the end. Player Optional threw out a bait and I got it, not let's see if good old Optional will join? :)

All I want is 4-6 ppl, we start on moderate skill-level for this first game, like King.

We will play as Askia/Songhai and I will generate maps tomorrow. The game will be on standard pace and I will set it to Fractal maps, since this will be just a training game if we get the right crew!

Dedicated folks please, if you can't make the commitment to play for a few weeks, then don't apply. IF you have time on your hands and want something different, then please join up. :)

I'll have a few maps done tomorrow and if we get any takers, we might be playing very soon.

Rules will be as always in my games, 24hrs got it, 48 hrs finished turns, with the nice extra 24 hrs for inconveniences. ;)

Discussions will start when anyone joins the game, regarding path, exploits and other stuff.

But the decision of the start is already sorted, except of what start we pick, so I will not start the game as in old times. I will look over the maps and see if they are playable and therefore I play in the middle or maybe last.

So, sign up!

Roster so far:
gozpel
Optional
NotSure
apocalypse105
jeffah3539

And I have no DLC's at all, so only vanilla works....if you can play with them or without them in a game like this, I don't know. But from my side, they won't be in and hopefully it won't interfere with other players.?

I'm in!
No mods, no DLC at the start means no compatibility problem. Others may have more stuff enabled than the person who started, but that's no problem, only less is a problem.
I don't think it should be a problem getting a team together, except tomorrow might be a bit soon. Since the SG section has been dead for months, I'm not expecting many people to check here every day, you see.
Myself I'm very much in favour of only starting - rolling starts - when there is a team, so that people can have input on the starting conditions. How a game will pan out always greatly gets decided by turn zero, so rushing starts is something that I hate.
I could send PM's to the people who were in Von Münchhausen, to make them aware there is an SG starting, if you're okay with that, Gozpel.

Ah nice, Optional.

But in the thread I already stated: We play as Askia, I get 4-5 maps ready for you guys to choose from. That's how I play SG's, firm hand and lenient ruler.

So I will check out 4-5 REALLY nice starts, but I will not have a vote and I will play last, so no bias is there. I'ts a training game with a new team and we HAVE to find a way to make this entertaining for all players. If/when we get to 5 ppl, the votes and discussion can begin.

Still, tomorrow I can get some maps, I only play for 20 turns and look around if it's ok. We don't need anything fancy, just a good and safe starting position. And we will have 4-5 of them tomorrow. :)

Then you guys pick the start and on we go.! If I can't make a game interesting by my choices, at least my keyboard will let you know. :)

I'll give it a shot. I have a strange schedule, but more than enough time to play and write up some turns during the week.

I'm in!
I could send PM's to the people who were in Von Münchhausen, to make them aware there is an SG starting, if you're okay with that, Gozpel.

Get us a crew man, this is an order! ;) Pick only reliable ppl, please.

I'll give it a shot. I have a strange schedule, but more than enough time to play and write up some turns during the week.

Then go to the SG-forum and express your interest. Your application will be formalized as soon as you agree with my settings. :)

We "might" start over the weekend, but there is no hurry at all. We might just as well start next weekend, if the team thinks so.

First we need to gel and understand each others playstyles. I think other games was lost, because "someone" decided what is better ot whatever. We are building a TEAM here now, my experiences are NOT what other players have. My strategies are NOT good for all players, so here on MY wants are thrown out.

We discuss things that we all agree on and then execute. No one man sorting things out, we can take all the time in the world and if you're interested in this experience, we might get SG's rolling again.

But I'm just a humble player that didn't beat Deity yet on this game, but I'm a great teamleader and will listen to everything. This is how we will learn the game. We all CAN win on upper levels, but can we do it as a team?

Don't back out if you sign up, if you feel the slightest hesitance regarding your time, don't sign up!

I need only dedicated player that hate and love Civ5 at the same time, we'll figure out what is wrong as we play.

Optional and NotSure, welcome, 2 good players already here and I'm happy.

You two will start the game, you can flip a virtual coin who wins.

I have the coin right here, so what did you pick?

Ok, bedtime for me, talk more tomorrow and hopefully a bigger crew.

Take care. :)

I'm okay with settings, except choosing a difficulty when we don't know yet who will join.
Von Münchhausen was on Emperor and turned out to be too easy for the team, although some members said they played Prince or King themselves.
If we got those people in again King would be too easy. It isn't fun fighting the AI when you have rifles and they have pikes. Nice for triumphant turnlogs but there's no challenge.
I don't want to argue against King now, I'm just advising to see who's joining first.

I'm okay with settings, except choosing a difficulty when we don't know yet who will join.
Von Münchhausen was on Emperor and turned out to be too easy for the team, although some members said they played Prince or King themselves.
If we got those people in again King would be too easy. It isn't fun fighting the AI when you have rifles and they have pikes. Nice for triumphant turnlogs but there's no challenge.
I don't want to argue against King now, I'm just advising to see who's joining first.

I normally play Immortal, but I think it's probably a good idea to start lower if the goal is to spark interest? I'm ok with whatever level you all want.

I am ok with the settings

I am ok I usally playthrough my games even if I lose however I don't know how I can make screenshots of my game so if someone can explain to me that I am in.

If someone explain how to post the things that are necesairy then yes note that I don't have the korea DLC So if you are planning to play with I can't play

Ok Optional, we wait with the settings until we have a full roster, it makes sense if we get a couple of great players that wouldn't join, if they thought the game would be boring. We're not in a hurry. :)

Roster so far:
gozpel
Optional
NotSure
apocalypse105

Welcome apocalypse,

to take pics of your game, press print screen which saves it to somewhere...don't remember where right now, and I will look in to it. When you found your picture, use a prog like Irfanview to crop it to a smaller size and you can use paintshop to make dotmaps and such. I'm sure Optional can shed some light on this?

It was a very long time since I did all that stuff, and my memory is rather dull. :) But we'll figure it out.

Your turn-report should be full of information, it is nice if write down what you build in each city, who you meet while scouting, what stuff you get from ruins and so on. You don't have to type down every single step you take, but stuff like worker actions are good and if you micromanage your pop in a city, explain why and what you're doing, so next player knows that.

We don't build wonders, settlers or wage war without a team-discussion. Every city we plant, should be accepted by the team, same with wars and expensive trades, we talk about it, so we all are on the same playingfield. Please argue for an action that you see as important, for example, the team majority want to place a city on spot X...you like spot Y better, because it can be a great defensive spot or whatever.

Common sense rules! :)

There's a tutorial on screenshots here, but it's not great, like it doesn't cover image editing/resizing and stuff, for that Irfanview is indeed great; small freeware image editing program. Also handy is to have an account at a free image sharing website like Photobucket to upload your images. Then here on Civfanatics you can just use the 'Insert Image' function to link to your image.
You can actually also show your pics directly here by using 'Manage Attachments', which I haven't used in ages, but I believe it just provides your pic as a thumbnail underneath the text, not always ideal for SG turnlogs, but it's less work than using an external image sharing site.

If I come around to it I'll add something to that tutorial in a bit more depth about this stuff, that can't hurt.

Question about exploits now; what are we allowing ourselves to do?
sell resource > pillage > sell again > pillage > sell again, etc.;
sell all resources to civ A > declare on civ A;
stealing workers from CS's?
These are all things that I never do, I think it damages the game, but it's good to share opinions in advance. Personally I don't even settle on resources for immediate happiness and saving worker turns, but I might be in the minority with that.
What I think is that those first two exploits I mentioned are generally accepted as things you shouldn't be doing. In Von Münchhausen we also didn't steal workers from CS's, but I'm not sure as many people find that bad.
We should speak about that, it will come up early in the game, best make a decision about that early.

Good point Optional. I do usually steal a worker if I can. On a level like King I'm also likely to declare war on an immediate neighbor if I see a settler wandering around. I would be even more inclined to do this on a fractal map where immediate settling space might be limited. So, if that's not the kind of game everyone wants to play we should make that clear. I don't bother with the selling exploits before war, but I think it's ok to unload a resource we know is going to be pillaged. Of course, some of this is going to get determined for us if we get Oda, Monty, Alex, Augustus, etc., as a neighbor.

I would be interested in joining this if you will have me. I can play any difficulty up to Immortal comfortably with Emperor being fairly easy and Immortal posing a beatable challenge.

It would be interesting to see how other players approach a game and how I might improve my play. I tend to be a little bit passive and buildery unless I have a hard set goal like an early domination victory.

Welcome Jeffah3539! I prefer to leave it to Gozpel to decide whether you're in, that's the etiquette; he started the thread, so it's his SG, but it's always good to see new people here!
I don't bother with the selling exploits before war, but I think it's ok to unload a resource we know is going to be pillaged. Of course, some of this is going to get determined for us if we get Oda, Monty, Alex, Augustus, etc., as a neighbor.
If we can't help it, we can't help it. We don't have to protect the AI against itself, I think.
But often these rules in an SG are determined by the person who started the SG, so it's Gozpel's word first.

I sent some PM's to the old crew of Von Münchhausen only a few hours ago, just the people that were in it from start to finish; the core. I have just as much respect for the people that were in that thread but got limited or play for whatever reason (usually technical, like not having DLC), but I don't find it very usual to advertise a new SG anyway, so I kept my PM's to a minimum. I have more experience with too many people for an SG than too few, that's also a reason, maybe I'm a bit weird in that, but I'm never that pessimistic about getting a nice bunch of people together for a good game.

Sure jeffah is in and welcome to you. :)

We're talking about exploits here and in my civdom, I'm known to be fair with the exception of an early worker steal (or intimidating settler). I read posts how ppl beat Deity and some of them always sell what they have and they declare. I do not like it and even tried to convert myself to this exploit, but after a couple of games I felt sortof sad, and I do not want it in this game. But if everybody else wants it, I follow the majority.

I started the game but it's not my game, so what rules we follow, should be the consensus of the crowd. But I will put my foot down and with many words explain my point of view, if there is something I don't want to accept. And so should you do too.

The only exploit as I said, would be an early worker steal from a CS, but I can live without it as I only do it now and again. I also see players here with some nice experience, so I up the level to Emperor. I thought King would be like a training game and for the team to get to know each other, but I think we can learn by my mistakes. :lol:

So yesterday, saved 5 maps on Emperor, only to slap my forehead about a very important thing. Do we play with quick combat or not?

Top Bottom