Achievement stories, ideas, setups

I've been concentrating on the easy achievements and playing ever civ before I go for the hard ones. Even my current game as France I didn't start near any wine unfortunately. I may have to play many partial games to get the civ specific achievements.

No idea how to get the nuke one. May have to play a higher difficulty level for that one. You can't nuke your own cities can you? I haven't tried, but I notice you can aim a nuke for any tile within the radius of the sub.

thanks for the help :D
another question: any tips on the Aztec achievement
I don't know how it's feasible to get +16 from luxuries on a standard map unless you use the great merchants

thanks for the help :D
another question: any tips on the Aztec achievement
I don't know how it's feasible to get +16 from luxuries on a standard map unless you use the great merchants

I suspect you are right. Just starting a game myself for this, so not sure.

Question:

What is meant by a level three slinger? Is that a slinger with 2 or 3 promotions?
One with 2 promotions (i.e. they start at lvl 1 = 0 exp). When I airlifted that unit, it worked.

(I forgot to read the lvl 3 clause when I started that one - I had to babysit a novice slinger against musketmen and the like 1xp at a time)

Last edited:
I've been concentrating on the easy achievements and playing ever civ before I go for the hard ones. Even my current game as France I didn't start near any wine unfortunately. I may have to play many partial games to get the civ specific achievements.

No idea how to get the nuke one. May have to play a higher difficulty level for that one. You can't nuke your own cities can you? I haven't tried, but I notice you can aim a nuke for any tile within the radius of the sub.
Haven't got this one yet (I'm at 87% with 4 civs to play still), but I guess you can give the city to a rival, then launch!

nuking yourself works for it

also for the lvl 3 slinger you could use the great generals that give promotions

Good idea on the slinger one, I didn't think of that. I just thought it was going to be a pain to grind away level 3 with a slinger. I have noticed my archers always get experience when attacking cities, even if the health is down to 0, so I figured I could eventually get a slinger up to level 3 as well.

As for the nuke one, I've just been lazy to plan that one out. Some of the terrain requirements are tough. Any ideas what are the best wonders to use?

I'm trying to get the Darwin right now as well as all the districts + colloseum. Do you have to build an aqueduct for one of the districts? I'm still waiting for my city to get to size 25 so I can build the spaceport. The Darwin right now may not happen this game since I waited so long to build a campus district. It's taking forever to get through industrial age scientists. I'm assuming Darwin is industrial age?

Disgustipated - I think it was /any/ 12 districts plus the Colloseum - so Neighborhoods (plural?) and aqueduct counted I think.

By the way, I've just completed 100/100 achievements, so it's definitely all possible. :) Hardest one to get - give peace a chance (i.e. have 7/12 civs all with religion at peace with India). That was an utter nightmare and took about 4 times as long as any other achievement. It involved 12 Gandhis and it still wasn't peaceful...

t involved 12 Gandhis and it still wasn't peaceful...

12 Gandhis LOL. It's strange they added this feature in the game. It's immersion breaking. I did it for the achievement, but I don't like duplicate leaders in the game. Hasn't happened to me yet otherwise though, only when I purposely did it. I find some civilizations pop up too many times in my games, I'm almost tempted to manually choose them at start, but that lessons some of the unpredictability of the game.

I haven't really delved into India very much, other than for my deity achievement win, but that was over with in the classical age I believe. So I don't know much about their ability. I'll eventually play a full game with them. It's the huge maps I'm not looking forward to. I need to play them and England on a huge map.

Huge map achievements were annoying too. 2 Civs and a quick knock-out helped on those, as did no barbs.

Yes, 12 Gandhis and I still got formal wars against me (it was funny when two of them both say 'don't ask how I square this DOW with my morals, you wouldn't understand'). I went 12G because there was almost always a war going on between random civs. The natural state of this game is denounce-war, which is frustrating. Even with 12G!

Last edited:
7 gandhis is the best for give peace a chance
(delete the ai until you have 7 players total)
your own religion counts for one of the peaceful founders, so you only need 6 other ai
set deity so they guarantee get religion
wait a bit, and they will eventually go peaceful

haphaz, can you tell me how you did gifts for the tlatlaoni?

do you need to engage in a huge amount of trading or what
edit: nvm, didn't see the post

Finally finished my marathon Aztec game. Probably the last marathon one I'll do until I get a better feel for standard. Wasn't sure whether the long production times were my fault or the speed's fault. Also, got some EDX classes going now, and bought XCOM2 since it was on sale, so VI playing time is reduced a bit. Playing a marathon game to the Modern Age so I could airlift a unit was a bit painful :cringe:

Got the following:
"Montezuma's Revenge"
"Huey Tlatoani" - there seem to be 16 different lux resources on a standard map (at least on continents, 8 on each), so you can do this one by getting them all. I got one from a merchant to make it a bit easier. Trading for a lux doesn't seem to work.
"Flight Slingulator" - Thanks for letting me know the slinger needed just two promotions. Was about to get my third.. and probably would have failed the achievement if I did.
"Eight is Enough"
"Tectonic Shift"

Congrats to Haphaz for getting all the achievements! I'll be a bit (a lot) slower. Like to play normal games for the achievements as much as possible, and my time is limited.

Probably be the last game I play on "Prince" unless going for HOF, GOTM or something like that, it's just too easy. If I need specific wonders and have trouble getting them I might play Prince again for that.

Last edited:
How do you guys get the 5 boosts in one turn? I still haven't planned that one out yet.

How do you guys get the 5 boosts in one turn? I still haven't planned that one out yet.

For 5 tech boosts I activated a great scientist with 3 boosts once I had hit a goody hut with two tech boosts.

For the 5 civic boosts, I have seen lining up boosts from district, a wonder, and then a religion using the Great Prophet on Stonehenge (2 more boosts) and an improvement boost like a builder to put down a farm.

Congrats! I started this thread and only have 43. It's unfair! :gripe:
Well done Bookworm - it's quite a small club (still <0.5% have the last two achievements). Pholtz - you probably haven't enough time to sink into chasing them (it took me 49 hours on Steam) and/or you're not willing to use the level of cheese to get them that I did ;)

I'm finally 100/100. As I mentioned in another thread, I can now start playing the game like a normal person.

Top Bottom