Aesthetic City Names

Apparently, Fingringhoe is only five miles outside Colchester.

Maybe; i am not familiar with her case :)
Though in antiquity there was a different take on homosexuality (not that it was accepted by everyone, mind; but there are both polemics and praises of it in known works). That said, Sappho is closer to the archaic era than to the classical era. (born in the 7th century BC, that is pretty much the era of the seven sages and the start of colonizing of the west med)

And it has a nature reserve with the wonderful name of Fingringhoe Wick.

Maybe; i am not familiar with her case :)
Though in antiquity there was a different take on homosexuality (not that it was accepted by everyone, mind; but there are both polemics and praises of it in known works). That said, Sappho is closer to the archaic era than to the classical era. (born in the 7th century BC, that is pretty much the era of the seven sages and the start of colonizing of the west med)

Yeah, it's not like the classical world was one thing. I mean look how the attitudes to homosexuality varied across Europe over the last three hundred years. Different from place to place and shifting every fifty or a hundred years. Not only different levels of acceptance but different notions of how things were.

Yeah, it's not like the classical world was one thing. I mean look how the attitudes to homosexuality varied across Europe over the last three hundred years. Different from place to place and shifting every fifty or a hundred years. Not only different levels of acceptance but different notions of how things were.

One thing is for certain: christianity -and judaism- were 10000% against it.
(obviously also islam; it is judaic as well anyway)

Top Bottom