Taking Your Wifes Name?

There was a couple in the SCA who solved it this way:

They hyphenated their names in such a way that she took his name as the pre-hyphen and her own as post-hyphen, and he did it the other way around.

It got a little confusing since one of them already had a hyphenated name (not sure why).

So one of them became (First Name) Christiansen-Ten-Hove, and the other became (First Name) Ten-Hove-Christiansen (these were mundane names, not their SCA persona names).

It must have been confusing as hell for times when both their names were on an envelope or they were invited to a party or somesuch. I have no idea what they decided to name their kids (if they had kids).

Wow! Its a cute idea, but I feel like it would kind of defeat the purpose of having the same last name I guess. IDK I’m a dork like this sometimes lol.

I have heard a couple of times stories about people who have had different names to their children, and had trouble in international airports because they are suspected of some form of child abduction. In such a situation it would seem a very sensible idea.

Another valid reason to have the same last name. Bloody stupid reason though, like divorce is extremely common and changing one’s last name is less and less common nowadays.

I’m 14. How can I be married?

Yeah that’s why I was confused lol. XD

Think I misinterpreted your post.

If things were to change I'd go for matronymic and patronymic names.

Not married and not planning to (too much of a hassle), but I have a pretty long and complex name while my gf's one is very short and easy, so we routinely use hers rather than mine and I'm often known as "Mr [GF's name]".
As it's utilitarian, I don't care.
Not really a fan of the idea of changing name to take another's, though, I think the hyphenated version is more palatable, though I don't really mind either way. As for children, I think using the mother's name (hyphenated with the father's) would make more sense, as you always knows who is the mother, not always who is the father. Yeah, I'm fun at party.

Some centuries ago, it wouldn't be out of the question for you to be married at 14. Moreso if you were female, of course, though hopefully you'd be allowed another year or two before being expected to have children.

Wow! Its a cute idea, but I feel like it would kind of defeat the purpose of having the same last name I guess. IDK I’m a dork like this sometimes lol.

Another valid reason to have the same last name. Bloody stupid reason though, like divorce is extremely common and changing one’s last name is less and less common nowadays.

Yeah that’s why I was confused lol. XD

Think I misinterpreted your post.

They weren't trying to have the same last name. It's a case of 'what's mine is yours/what's yours is mine' - including names.

Actually, this reminded me of a novel I've read and re-read so many times over the years: Rissa and Tregare by F.M. Busby. Two of the characters decide to marry, and each adds the other's last name, so the woman becomes Sparline Moray-Lombuno and the man becomes Ernol Lombuno-Moray.

If things were to change I'd go for matronymic and patronymic names.

Best to hope the parents don't have a long or awkward or common name, then. My last name would be nearly twice as long as it is now, as it would be "(Father's First Name)sdottir".

Middle names can be a bit tricky, as well. Thankfully mine is my paternal grandmother's first name, rather than my maternal grandmother's first name.

Some centuries ago, it wouldn't be out of the question for you to be married at 14. Moreso if you were female, of course, though hopefully you'd be allowed another year or two before being expected to have children.
You do not need to go back in history, here is a table, in Sudan it is puberty or 10, Iran it is 13 and Columbia, Brunei, Equatorial Guinea and São Tomé and Príncipe it is 14 with parental consent. I am surprised it is so little of the world under 15.

I took my wife’s name because I hated my name and it was the only thing really important to her. She said I could choose everything about the wedding location, food, our first big trip, etc., she just wanted me to take her last name because it’s a very historic Scottish name.

Both my (now-ex) wives took my last name. The first changed back upon our divorce, and has changed it with every husband since, three of them IIRC. The more recent one has not changed it, she regards it as hers now and too much of a hassle to change it again, a hassle I've recently become far more well-acquainted with. In both cases I was pleased that she was accommodating tradition, though why I was pleased has evolved greatly over the years.

If I get married again (unlikely); I will probably not have her change her legal name; how she presents her name legally/commercially won't matter to me much.

My last name is quite rare. And it is proof that I am descended from a god. So uh, no.

But I’m all for the idea in abstract.

The correct answer is to have the people getting married make up a new surname to start their new family under. That way you can still have the kids have the name, but you both have a new start that symbolizes the new family. Imagine the cool names people could have that evolve with the culture.

My last name is quite rare. And it is proof that I am descended from a god. So uh, no.

But I’m all for the idea in abstract.
Your last name is Fizban the Fabulous?

TIL.

:p

Depends what state you're in;).

Clearly the correct solution is to only ever marry someone with the same surname as you.

Works in Alabama.

I took my wife’s name because I hated my name and it was the only thing really important to her. She said I could choose everything about the wedding location, food, our first big trip, etc., she just wanted me to take her last name because it’s a very historic Scottish name.

I don't hate my last name just indifferent to it.

So in your situation take hers lol.

Your last name is Fizban the Fabulous?

TIL.

:p

You rang?

1000002726.jpg

i dont get it.
Well, I just took your username and Jenkins (random name) and squished them together two ways to get a combined last name. Oh well, I enjoyed doing so.

Top Bottom