Alerum's Unaltered Game Play

I even can't figure out what most of the new additions are. Can you edit the introduction to provide a link to the thread for each one? Also, I'd personally rather that you require that every mod you include at least has a short Readme file.

awesome work alerum68. I have a question. is there any hope in a future release you're going to let us be warned that one of our cities has grown just like it does with buildings/units? that would be just sweet. :)

[to_xp]Gekko said:
awesome work alerum68. I have a question. is there any hope in a future release you're going to let us be warned that one of our cities has grown just like it does with buildings/units? that would be just sweet. :)

And, just as critical, I'm waiting for the mod that alerts me that a city will grow, next turn! I can sort the domestic advisor, but that's a pain.

Maybe color the city name one color if it just grew, and another color if it will grow?

DaviddesJ said:
And, just as critical, I'm waiting for the mod that alerts me that a city will grow, next turn! I can sort the domestic advisor, but that's a pain.

Maybe color the city name one color if it just grew, and another color if it will grow?

it would still be less useful than a warning just like that of building/units IMHO.

[to_xp]Gekko said:
it would still be less useful than a warning just like that of building/units IMHO.

I'm not sure.

For post-growth alerts, a message at the beginning of the turn would be nice. But, if you have many different messages, it can be inconvenient to keep track of them all, so it's nice to have the information somewhere else, too.

And, for pre-growth alerts, a message at the beginning of the turn could be completely forgotten by the time you get to the end of the turn, which is when you're more likely to be managing growth for next turn. And, there's also the possibility that you make changes during your turn that create growth when it wouldn't have existed at the beginning of the turn. In that case, a beginning-of-turn alert wouldn't be effective at all.

DaviddesJ said:
I'm not sure.

For post-growth alerts, a message at the beginning of the turn would be nice. But, if you have many different messages, it can be inconvenient to keep track of them all, so it's nice to have the information somewhere else, too.

And, for pre-growth alerts, a message at the beginning of the turn could be completely forgotten by the time you get to the end of the turn, which is when you're more likely to be managing growth for next turn. And, there's also the possibility that you make changes during your turn that create growth when it wouldn't have existed at the beginning of the turn. In that case, a beginning-of-turn alert wouldn't be effective at all.

I guess both things combined will do well :D

DaviddesJ said:
I even can't figure out what most of the new additions are. Can you edit the introduction to provide a link to the thread for each one?

Done.

As for the three additions:

1) 5-man Formations changes the number of men displayed in your unit group from 3 to 5, as well as reduce them slightly in size. This will add some "bulk" to your armies in appereance, but I made sure and there are no changes to the actually stats. Did some test as well and there is no difference between 3-man units, and 5-man units. It just looks fuller.

2) New Roads makes the current roads thinner and brighter then the original roads. It doesn't change railroads. This is the one I'm wondering about the most. I'm not sure if I like how thin they are yet, personally but I hate the current look of the roads. Other then changing the apperence, this does nothing else. It doesn't affect the drawing of the roads, so the current "dead end" roads will still be there.

3) Extended Colors just increases the number of colors availiable to you. It's more of a fix in my mind, but wanted to include it because future additions of the mod will including color coding.

[to_xp]Gekko said:
awesome work alerum68. I have a question. is there any hope in a future release you're going to let us be warned that one of our cities has grown just like it does with buildings/units?

Thanks Gekko. I agree that would be a great addition, but I don't know the code well enough to do that yet. As of now I just "borrow" other MODs that I like, and add them here. If someone else were to make this mod, I would add it without skipping a beat. If you can come up with the code yourself, I will gladly add it in manually as well.

Well I know this alters the game but could make a seperate one that adds the great general that snaitf made. Thanks if you do.

Dusty4prez said:
Well I know this alters the game but could make a seperate one that adds the great general that snaitf made. Thanks if you do.

I'm sorry Dusty4prez. Is the only thing that I'm strict about when I add MODs to this Pack is that they in no way alter any aspect of game play, just apperence. There are many, many mods that I would love to add, and Snatf's Great General MOD is one of them, but it would destroy the whole purpose of the Pack if I did. Exavier's Composite MOD does just that, and if you ask me is a great MOD to play regular games on. You should give it a try. Or if you can't, it's very simple to merge the files yourself with text file merging utils. Something like Winmerge works very easily, and will allow you to find the differences between files AND folders.

Thanks for the links! I use single-unit graphics anyway, so I guess going from 3-man to 5-man formations won't affect me. I agree that I'm not sure about adding stuff like the roads. The new advisors etc. are clearly better. If you get into adding too many things that are a matter of taste, like graphics, then everyone will find some things they like and some they don't. But I certainly don't feel strongly about this one.

alerum68 said:
Thanks Gekko. I agree that would be a great addition, but I don't know the code well enough to do that yet. As of now I just "borrow" other MODs that I like, and add them here. If someone else were to make this mod, I would add it without skipping a beat. If you can come up with the code yourself, I will gladly add it in manually as well.

trust me, if I knew how to do that I would have done that already :D
a couple more things which would be very welcome:
1) Stagnant and starvation-stricken cities should show their state much more clearly than by having a minuscle red line in their food bar.
2) I'd LOVE to have my cities warn me, when they're gonna grow at the end of the turn, if they are going to become unhealthy or have angry citizens. that way I can stop their growth until I've raised their health/happiness. I'm getting bored of only noticing this some turns after I wanted to :(

The best I can offer at this point Gekko is to do a growth check every 5-10 turns, and set up reminders when a critical city is about to grow to the danger point. Nothing I can suggest about the bad aspects, or uncontrolable things.

alerum68 said:
The best I can offer at this point Gekko is to do a growth check every 5-10 turns, and set up reminders when a critical city is about to grow to the danger point. Nothing I can suggest about the bad aspects, or uncontrolable things.

I'm afraid modders will have to have access to the SDK before they can do something about that. maybe fireaxis will patch it? only time will show :D

Keep up the good work. This is the MOD I didn't have time to do. So playing with no mods. Will certainly install this mod. :goodjob:

If it was stated I apologize but I didn't see it in writing.. Does this MOD only work if you have the 1.52 patch installed ???

I have to stick with 1.09 as 1.52 causes graphically errors for me. :(

I'm not sure AceofHeart. I started making the mod pack after I had already converted to 1.52, so I never got a chance to check it out. Would you be willing to backup your current 'CustomAssets' folder, and apply this one and test the various features to see if they work as well on 1.09 as 1.52. I'm pretty sure the Custom Domestic Advisor wouldn't work because of the addition of the Examine City Button, but I don't see why the rest wouldn't be functioning.

[to_xp]Gekko said:
1) Stagnant and starvation-stricken cities should show their state much more clearly than by having a minuscle red line in their food bar.

I haven't understood this :confused: Their status of stagnant or starvation-stricken cities is shown by the color of the circle (or star) in which the "pop number" is displayed.

Hey Alerum,

Great work, but I've got a problem with my Multiplayer games.
Everything works well when I start a single player game, but when I start a multiplayer game, none of the mods are loaded (except the Power Score)

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes with mods, but I read the FAQs, cleared the cache, etc
but that makes no change.

Note that I am not actually loading it as a mod, instead I simply used the CustomAssets folder. Anyway, again it works in single mode.

Is this the expected behaviour ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Spicer

Spicer,
Welcome to CFC!:)

I have yet to get Civ4 to work in multiplayer mode. Keeping getting a problem with my gamespy account, which I already have created. Seems alot of people have the same problem, but no real answers. I've tried port forwarding all ports listed in the Tech Support and MP threads, and still no go. I *think* to use this in MP, the game would have to be started as using this being a MOD, and all players running it. Now, I could be wrong since I have no experience in MP Mode. Any lurkers who has used this in MP games? Also, any lurkers who can help me with my own MP problems?

Is it expected behaviour? I believe so. I think they designed the game this way to help prevent people from modifiying the stats of their units and having an unfair advantage over the other players. So don't worry, you're not doing a thing wrong. Glad you are enjoying the MODs.

Top Bottom