• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Spoiler :
I wonder what happened to the SD that blew up Kijimi. I guess it was blown up like every FO capital ship across the galaxy in the victory montage, but then how did the FO even take over all those planets?

It'd been a lot more interesting if they showed that the FO was overstretching to the breaking point, the Resistance had gained new allies, and both sides were gathering their strength for a decisive battle.

So Disney purposefully sabotaged episode IX in order to make JJ look bad, so that DC would maybe not hire him, which prevents him from potentially making a successful DC film to compete with Marvel.

Wow. Either that is some next level genius corporate manipulation or the dumbest thing ever. One would think that by making the best product possible, especially with a franchise as bankable as Star Wars, would be the simplest and easiest way of beating your competitors. But instead they went for screwing themselves in the present to maybe screwing their competitors more in the future.
I'm not sure how far I would take that. RoS was full of decisions that almost certainly had nothing to do with studio meddling and almost everything to do with Abram's problems as a film maker. The silliness of the 'hyperspace jumping', the frantic pace, RoS and TLJ working at cross-purposes because Abrams didn't communicate to Johnson his overall plot (or more likely, didn't have one in the first place), the whole "Rey, I am your (grand)father" speech, and the silly "find the magic space-rock" plot that was already done by Bioware in KotOR in what is generally considered one of their weakest games plot wise, and the ridiculous cavalry charge ON A SPACE SHIP.
RoS would likely have been better without studio meddling, but enough of its problems are pure JJ Abrams I'm having a tough time absolving him from the lion's share of the responsibility.

The axial superlasers are pointed straight ahead not down so I don't see how they'd be hitting Exegol's surface. The Derriphan had to angle it's superlaser downward in order to destroy Kijimi.

Yes, and how could they have aimed those upwards if they weren't able to take off unless guided? (see below)
Laurana Kanan said:
I don't really understand what you mean here. The SDs had already broken through Exegol's surface and taken off so to speak. They were basically just hovering in formation above the surface. I think what Poe was referring to in the briefing was them being able to completely leave the planet's atmosphere, which I think is a silly restriction. Capital ships somehow can't even navigate off the planet, but starfighters, freighters, and other small ships can somehow navigate perfectly. In any event, whether the Xystons were positioned correctly to fire into the oncoming Resistance fleet isn't really determinable by the footage. But honestly, how hard would it have been to reorient their ships towards a massive incoming fleet. The whole sequence is just silly with questionable tactics and oddly contrived restrictions.
The key is your last sentence. There's just a lot of restrictions imposed onto the new fleet for plot reasons, other than ‘the plot would not work without them’.
Seriously, what kind of commander would have all the ships down there in mothballs once hostilities have been opened by Palpatine's mysterious broadcast? Everything after that is unbelievable.
RoS and TLJ working at cross-purposes because Abrams didn't communicate to Johnson his overall plot (or more likely, didn't have one in the first place)
Actually, I posted a link sometime recently where the producers were quoted as admitting that Ryan Johnson had not been present at the meetings where the trilogy's plot was established, so he didn't know what/how it was supposed to be.
Unsurprisingly, I disagree.
Ah, yes. You're a laser-brain, Sommerswerd.

Yes, and how could they have aimed those upwards if they weren't able to take off unless guided? (see below)
Why would they necessarily need to point upwards? As I said, the SDs orientation in relation to the Resistance fleet cannot be determined from the footage. Ignoring things like gravitational curvature, firing straight could still hit an object in space. In any event, there's nothing in the dialogue that definitively confirms that the SDs can't reorient themselves about an axis, only they can't deploy w/o the navigational signal.
The key is your last sentence. There's just a lot of restrictions imposed onto the new fleet for plot reasons, other than ‘the plot would not work without them’.
Seriously, what kind of commander would have all the ships down there in mothballs once hostilities have been opened by Palpatine's mysterious broadcast? Everything after that is unbelievable.
Yeah...so you agree with me...I guess.
Actually, I posted a link sometime recently where the producers were quoted as admitting that Ryan Johnson had not been present at the meetings where the trilogy's plot was established, so he didn't know what/how it was supposed to be.
FYI, it's Rian, not Ryan. I've read those reports and whether RJ was at the meetings or not isn't necessarily important. It's the lack of communication afterwards between JJ and RJ, and Disney and RJ that is the problem. It was the same problem with the Ranger Solo production. Disney gave Lord & Miller, like RJ, largely free reign to develop their movie, which ended up creating all kinds of story and production issues. So you end up with an inferior product and in the case of the ST, a disjointed mess.

I doubt there were meetings to set up a trilogy arc at all. Even if Johnson wasn't in them, if there was actually a planned arc, there is no way in heaven or hell nobody would have walked up to him and tell him how he had to relate his story to the others.

If he did not, which we can all probably agree he seemingly did not, and refused to address it, they could have fired him like they did to Lord&Miller.

I can believe that JJ talked to his writers room about the arc he wanted but it can't be something he passed on.

Stating something isn't explaining it. You merely corrected me saying he used a lightsaber twice instead of once.
No. What I actually, did was point out an example of you being misinformed about key Finn scenes in the film, thus establishing your lack of credibility to claim Finn's character wasn't well developed. Your dismissal of Finn's character as poorly developed was wrong on basic facts. So I'm not wasting time "explaining" to you why I think Finn's character was well developed when you've already demonstrated that you only half-assed watched the film, barely paying attention to his character. You're not in any position to argue with me about his character development when you can't even remember/did not notice basic scenes/details from the film.

I mean you referred to Finn as "some random dude" to complain about why he has any prowess with a weapon. Are you serious?:dubious: He's a freaking trained soldier! Of course he has fighting skills... but once again, it just demonstrates that you dismissed Finn right from the start as a diversity hire and didn't pay any attention to his character development... then you use your ignorance about the character as an excuse to call his character undeveloped.
Let's just agree to disagree on what constitutes a well-developed character.
I'm not "agreeing to disagree" with you about what black people should find meaningful about the blackness of a black character. Your "opinion" about that subject is misinformed and wrong. Period.
I doubt there were meetings to set up a trilogy arc at all. Even if Johnson wasn't in them, if there was actually a planned arc, there is no way in heaven or hell nobody would have walked up to him and tell him how he had to relate his story to the others. If he did not, which we can all probably agree he seemingly did not, and refused to address it, they could have fired him like they did to Lord&Miller. I can believe that JJ talked to his writers room about the arc he wanted but it can't be something he passed on.
The three ST films definitely do not seem like they are following any pre-written comprehensive story/arc. They very much seem like they were separately written and at least partly in reaction to the reception to the others... especially TRoS.

Last edited:
I like Finn. He's fun. He's the vertex joining Rey and Poe as a lead trio. But he's right that there's some development problem. Namely, he's a traumatised stormtrooper... whose trauma disappears when Rey shows up. He never struggles with it. If all the things that have to happen didnt need to happen and he and Rey hid in Jakku for a while, that could have given them some room to explore their issues whilst both the FO and the Resistance separately try to get to them.

He's a nice guy, and I love him, he's my fave, but it is true that he sort of doesnt have an evolution to that point. It's less that he is not developed as a character and more that he is not developed dramatically. He plays a role, but his journey is muddled.

I like Finn. He's fun. He's the vertex joining Rey and Poe as a lead trio. But he's right that there's some development problem. Namely, he's a traumatised stormtrooper... whose trauma disappears when Rey shows up. He never struggles with it. If all the things that have to happen didnt need to happen and he and Rey hid in Jakku for a while, that could have given them some room to explore their issues whilst both the FO and the Resistance separately try to get to them.

He's a nice guy, and I love him, he's my fave, but it is true that he sort of doesnt have an evolution to that point. It's less that he is not developed as a character and more that he is not developed dramatically. He plays a role, but his journey is muddled.
So I agree that Finn's story gets muddled somewhat, but I think that is more a consequence of the disjointed aspect of the trilogy as a whole. That is to say that if Abrams had done the whole thing or if Johnson had been allowed to finish it, there would have been more clarity for the story as a whole, which would have in-turn filtered down to all the main characters. I thought that both Finn and Poe's arc/growth as characters were very well done in TLJ alone. However, I disagree that Finn's trauma isn't shown. Not only does he talk about it, he repeatedly tries to run away, once even in the face of Rey's objections and then tries to martyr himself... all as a direct result of his trauma and fear/hatred for the FO.

I will admit that I would have like to have seen more of the interactions between Finn and Phasma, including some of the deleted scenes which I think were important to both characters and shouldn't have been taken out. The relationship between the two was implied to have been abusive, but they don't spend the screen time fleshing it out. For example, maybe TLJ could have started the movie off showing Finn in stormtrooper training getting mistreated by Phasma... maybe he accidently saw her with her helmet off and that made her especially hostile towards him... which would have had the added bonus of letting us actually see Gwendolyn Christie :)... then Finn wakes up suddenly from the nightmare/flashback, bumping his head on the hospital bed-cover. What do you think?

The Phasma-Finn dynamic was a wasted opportunity I think. They spend a good amount of time on Rey's trauma, feelings of abandonment, etc. They probably didn't want to use too much time on such a heavy topic as Finn's trauma, given that there were lazer battles and what not to shoot and there wasn't an as Force'ey way to do it like they did with Rey.

Last edited:
No. What I actually, did was point out an example of you being misinformed about key Finn scenes in the film, thus establishing your lack of credibility to claim Finn's character wasn't well developed. Your dismissal of Finn's character as poorly developed was wrong on basic facts. So I'm not wasting time "explaining" to you why I think Finn's character was well developed when you've already demonstrated that you only half-assed watched the film, barely paying attention to his character. You're not in any position to argue with me about his character development when you can't even remember/did not notice basic scenes/details from the film.
If you're not going to explain anything, then don't say you did. Not that I'm expecting any explanation.

I mean you referred to Finn as "some random dude" to complain about why he has any prowess with a weapon. Are you serious?:dubious: He's a freaking trained soldier! Of course he has fighting skills...
It takes more than a soldier's fighting skills to handle a lightsaber, a unique awareness primarily due to the weightlessness of the blade and its immense lethality. I'm not making this up: it is (or was) part of the Star Wars canon. It's not at all like any regular sword. I'm not going to apologize for criticizing the devaluation of such an iconic weapon.

And just for clarification and strawmanning prevention, I'm not against the possibility that Finn's Force-sensitive and has some natural talent. Not at all. But it's a pretty big deal to be ignored for 8+ hours worth of trilogy. So either he's not, or it's one more point of suck on the sequels' list.

I'm not "agreeing to disagree" with you about what black people should find meaningful about the blackness of a black character. Your "opinion" about that subject is misinformed and wrong. Period.
Except I'm not arguing about the blackness of a black character. I'm arguing against the notion he's a well-developed character. I don't give a damn about the colour of anyone's skin. I'll retract my statement that you should demand more, if you think he's developed enough.

I suppose I expect more from this franchise, in general.

The three ST films definitely do not seem like they are following any pre-written comprehensive story/arc. They very much seem like they were separately written and at least partly in reaction to the reception to the others... especially TRoS.
Of course. It's a mess. No disagreement here.

From my point-of-view I found every character in the ST underdeveloped and generally uninteresting. By TROS, I didn't really care what happened to any of them as what little development they had felt unearned. I did think the acting & dialogue, of and between, the three mains had improved considerably from TFA & especially TLJ.

From a female perspective though, it makes me very sad that they brought in great actresses like Gwendoline Christie, Keri Russell, & Naomi Ackie as basically background filler characters only. As cool as the Phasma, Bliss, & Jannah characters looked, it was just a wasted opportunity that they weren't developed further.

So has no one else watched The Mandalorian on here? I'm so ready to move past these movies, and with a Mandalorian S02, Clone Wars S07+, Untitled Obi-Wan & Cassian shows being developed, & even a possible Rebels revival there's so much to be excited about in the next couple years.

If you're not going to explain anything, then don't say you did. Not that I'm expecting any explanation.
I've explained plenty, including explaining why I don't think you're in any position to judge Finn's character development.
It takes more than a soldier's fighting skills to handle a lightsaber, a unique awareness primarily due to the weightlessness of the blade and its immense lethality. I'm not making this up: it is (or was) part of the Star Wars canon. It's not at all like any regular sword. I'm not going to apologize for criticizing the devaluation of such an iconic weapon.
Even putting aside the multiple obvious on screen displays of Finn's force-sensitivity... We have no basis for concluding that Finn's skills/training were insufficient to handle a lightsaber. Quite to the contrary in fact. The various FO troops are shown using a variety of melee energy weapons throughout the ST. Just because only Jedis used them in the days of the Old Republic doesn't mean that's still the case. Quite to the contrary, it's obviously not still the case.
I suppose I expect more from this franchise, in general.
Nah... not more... just different. You had different expectations of these movies than I did. And that was the case for a lot of fans who were disappointed versus those of us who enjoyed them.

From my point-of-view I found every character in the ST underdeveloped and generally uninteresting. By TROS, I didn't really care what happened to any of them as what little development they had felt unearned. I did think the acting & dialogue, of and between, the three mains had improved considerably from TFA & especially TLJ.

From a female perspective though, it makes me very sad that they brought in great actresses like Gwendoline Christie, Keri Russell, & Naomi Ackie as basically background filler characters only. As cool as the Phasma, Bliss, & Jannah characters looked, it was just a wasted opportunity that they weren't developed further.

So has no one else watched The Mandalorian on here? I'm so ready to move past these movies, and with a Mandalorian S02, Clone Wars S07+, Untitled Obi-Wan & Cassian shows being developed, & even a possible Rebels revival there's so much to be excited about in the next couple years.
Amen to everything. As I said, character underdevelopment is rampant in this trilogy, across the board. Or just schizophrenic (i.e. TFA: Who are Rey's parents? TLJ: Rey's parents are not important! ROS: Rey's parentage IS SUPER IMPORTANT!).

Also the waste of good actresses as almost literally faceless mooks.

I'm watching The Mandalorian at a fairly slow pace, and with it being more recently concluded than Rise of Skywalker, I expect a sustained observance of spoiler policy.

I've explained plenty, including explaining why I don't think you're in any position to judge Finn's character development.
No problem with thinking that. I don't think you're in position to judge whether I can provide my opinion on any given subject.

I wouldn't presume to suppress that right, myself.

Even putting aside the multiple obvious on screen displays of Finn's force-sensitivity... We have no basis for concluding that Finn's skills/training were insufficient to handle a lightsaber. Quite to the contrary in fact. The various FO troops are shown using a variety of melee energy weapons throughout the ST. Just because only Jedis used them in the days of the Old Republic doesn't mean that's still the case. Quite to the contrary, it's obviously not still the case.
Powered melee weapons (shock/vibro stuff) are not the same as energy melee weapons with a significant weightless component. I'll just say that: the other matters have already been addressed.

Nah... not more... just different. You had different expectations of these movies than I did. And that was the case for a lot of fans who were disappointed versus those of us who enjoyed them.
Take it how you will.

Powered melee weapons (shock/vibro stuff) are not the same as energy melee weapons with a significant weightless component.
Dude... its all make believe, so you've no idea what is the same as what. All you can speak to is how you see it in your own subjective imagination. In your imagination the other make believe energy melee weapons are not the same as the make believe lightsabers. But none of it is real so there isn't any basis to insist on differentiating the two... other than your subjective disdain for Finn and consequent need to find things to criticize about the character.

And so much about Star Wars is utter bullocks from a real-life/physics perspective that I am always fascinated to see folks nit-pick particular hills to die on... as if this one non-"realistic" aspect of the freaking fairy tale completely ruins anything... like the fact that the ships make noise in space and fly through space like airplanes flying through air is A-OK... but the difference in "training" needed to wield one imaginary weapon versus another imaginary weapon... well that's just a bridge too far... Yeah, nah, I'm not buying it. More likely... like I've said, that you just didn't enjoy/connect to the character and a lot of these, non-sequitur, contradictory, inconsistent "reasons" are post facto justifications... because as I've already demonstrated, you really weren't paying much attention to Finn's character in the first place... so to try to blame it on the supposed "weigh ratios" between one make believe prop and another make believe prop just doesn't add up.

Let me ask you this... were you bothered at all by the way Thor flicks Mjolnir up in the air, end-over-end and catches it like its a pencil in one scene, but then swings it with leverage like its a baseball bat in another? Did you ever even think about it? I'm guessing most folks didn't... because when you like a character and enjoy the movie, you don't get bogged down with such trivialities. Its only when you don't enjoy, that you start nit-picking every little trifle, to intellectualize your largely emotional dislike.

Last edited:
So has no one else watched The Mandalorian on here? I'm so ready to move past these movies,

I've seen all of The Mandalorian except the last episode which I just can't bring myself to watch. The series isn't bad really but I wouldn't call it good either. I do like the lone gunslinger vibe the show has. It's quite different from all the movies in that respect. The guy who plays Mando does a good job especially given he has a helmet on the entire time. The effects and music are all competently done.

But there isn't anything special about it like character development, world building, plot twists, clever dialogue, etc. Instead it's a guy going to a place and he does a thing and that is it, which doesn't interest me very much. Between this and how much I disliked RoS, I think I'm ready to move past Disney Star Wars. It's a shame because I loved Rogue One so much.

Dude... its all make believe, so you've no idea what is the same as what. All you can speak to is how you see it in your own subjective imagination. In your imagination the other make believe energy melee weapons are not the same as the make believe lightsabers. But none of it is real so there isn't any basis to insist on differentiating the two... other than your subjective disdain for Finn and consequent need to find things to criticize about the character.

And so much about Star Wars is utter bullocks from a real-life/physics perspective that I am always fascinated to see folks nit-pick particular hills to die on... as if this one non-"realistic" aspect of the freaking fairy tale completely ruins anything... like the fact that the ships make noise in space and fly through space like airplanes flying through air is A-OK... but the difference in "training" needed to wield one imaginary weapon versus another imaginary weapon... well that's just a bridge too far... Yeah, nah, I'm not buying it. More likely... like I've said, that you just didn't enjoy/connect to the character and a lot of these, non-sequitur, contradictory, inconsistent "reasons" are post facto justifications... because as I've already demonstrated, you really weren't paying much attention to Finn's character in the first place... so to try to blame it on the supposed "weigh ratios" between one make believe prop and another make believe prop just doesn't add up.

Let me ask you this... were you bothered at all by the way Thor flicks Mjolnir up in the air, end-over-end and catches it like its a pencil in one scene, but then swings it with leverage like its a baseball bat in another? Did you ever even think about it? I'm guessing most folks didn't... because when you like a character and enjoy the movie, you don't get bogged down with such trivialities. Its only when you don't enjoy, that you start nit-picking every little trifle, to intellectualize your largely emotional dislike.
So you keep going ahead and assuming eight million things. You talk about hills to die on yet you are the one coughing up walls of text defending one tooth and nail.

I didn't even go into matters of realism or physics. While sci-fi universes have levels of acceptable plausibility, not even that comes into the picture: I judge Star Wars according to its own internal rules. If you're okay with those having no meaning and changing as whimsically as the plot and characters of this new trilogy, well, good for you. There's no basis to argue upon. I do ask you to tolerate our disagreement then.

And by the way, superhero movies practically have no internal rules: everything works according to the current plot's immediate requirements. If you think Star Wars is like a Marvel movie, that would be another point of disagreement.

I think this discussion has exhausted its value. I opt to agree to disagree. You can do as you please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom