America and post-employment.

Little Raven

On Walkabout
Recently, when talking to one of my friends, he brought up his belief that America was on the cusp of the "post-employment economy." I was unfamiliar with this particular turn of phrase, and asked him to elaborate. He then defined it this way: the American economy enters a stage at which it can no longer create jobs fast enough to support our traditional ideas about employment. It’s not simply a matter of unemployment being uncomfortably high for a while. It’s a stage at which we as a society are forced to change how we approach work, and the lack thereof, because our old ideas are simply no longer viable.

So, are we there yet? We’re certainly in the middle of a bad recession, but that by itself does not constituent post-employment. 10% unemployment is painful, sure, but as long as it’s a short-term condition that will disappear with the inevitable economic recovery, then we’ll be fine.

We might not be fine.
“American business is about maximizing shareholder value,” said Allen Sinai, chief global economist at the research firm Decision Economics. “You basically don’t want workers. You hire less, and you try to find capital equipment to replace them.”

During periods of American economic expansion in the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s, the number of private-sector jobs increased about 3.5 percent a year, according to an analysis of Labor Department data by Lakshman Achuthan, managing director of the Economic Cycle Research Institute, a research firm. During expansions in the 1980s and ’90s, jobs grew just 2.4 percent annually. And during the last decade, job growth fell to 0.9 percent annually.

“The pace of job growth has been getting weaker in each expansion,” Mr. Achuthan said. “There is no indication that this pattern is about to change.”
We need to produce over 100,000 jobs a month just to keep up with population growth. And we're currently sitting in a jobs hole that is over 8 million jobs deep. To get back to 5% unemployment at 0.9% growth will take decades...assuming, of course, that there are no further hiccups.

And things are about to get worse. Public employment is getting ready to take a huge hit, as local and state government attempt to stem the tide of red ink that is drowning them. Cities and states will almost certainly have to shed hundreds of thousands of jobs over the next year or two, since unlike the Feds, they can't print money. Public employment as a percentage of the total workforce has grown considerably over the last 30 years, but that's about to change in a big way.

But it's not all bad. GDP is growing. We're producing more than we ever have before, and we're doing it with fewer and fewer people. We outsource more, we automate more, and we just plain get more work out of the people that are employed. If you just look at the total, our economy is doing fine...unlike the Great Depression, where GDP tanked. Those who are working are, in general, doing ok, and some are doing very, very well for themselves indeed. If you're among the elite with proper skills and talents and the network to support them, now is probably a better time to be working than ever before...everyone loves a superstar. If you aren't, well, we just don't need as many people as we used to. And odds are, we'll need even fewer people in the future.

Maybe that will change as the recovery really gathers steam. But maybe it won't. In the traditional labor pyramid, you have lots and lots of relatively unskilled workers supporting the less numerous skilled workers higher up, and finally the few CEOs and other captains at the very top. We still have that basic structure, but automation and outsourcing have been steadily grinding away at the bottom layers for decades, and the loss rate only seems to be increasing. The traditional answer for this has been that we'll retrain everyone to put them into the top part of the pyramid, and in theory that's fine, but it hasn't really worked out in practice. People can be retrained, to an extent, but it's a relatively slow and expensive process, and we never seem to know exactly what we should be training them for. And at a 0.9% rate of job creation, it's largely moot. There's no point in retraining someone if there won't be a job waiting for them.

Right now, we're busy telling ourselves that this is just a particularly nasty recession and everything will be fine once the recovery really picks up. In the meantime, we extend unemployment over and over and over again. And Senator Bunnings latest stunt notwithstanding, we'll no doubt renew it again this week. But how long can we keep doing that? How long should we keep doing that?

So, is America staring a new era in the face? And if so.....what do we do about it?

People have been talking about this for a while. The solutions look potentially quite Orwellian...

Wikipedia said:
The word "tittytainment" was coined for the first time in 1995 by the neo-liberal ideologue Zbigniew Brzezinski, member of the Trilateral Commission and ex-national security adviser of United States President Jimmy Carter, during the conclusion of the first "State of the World Forum", which was hosted at the Fairmont Hotel in the city of San Francisco. The objective of this meeting was to determine the state of the world, suggest desirable objectives and principal activities to achieve them, and to establish global politics to match them. The attendees to this meeting (Mikhail Gorbachev, George Bush, Margaret Thatcher, Václav Havel, Bill Gates, Ted Turner, etc.) arrived at the conclusion that a 20:80 society is inevitable. This means that the work provided by 20% of the world population would be sufficient to sustain the world economy, while the other 80% would be without work or opportunities, nourishing a growing frustration.

This is where Brzezinski's concept came into play. Brzezinski suggested that "tittytainment," a mix of physical and psychological methods, be used to control people's frustration and predictable protests. He then explained the term as being a portmanteau fused from titty and entertainment, alluding to the sleeping and lethargic effect that is produced when a baby is breastfed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tittytainment

Nah. Someone has to be able to find a use for all that un-used labour. Automation doesn't make labour obsolete, it just frees people up to do more productive or higher-demand things instead of menial repetitive tasks. If that weren't the case, why are the highest tech economies in the world not suffering crippling unemployment?

What your friend is suffering from is an unjustified bias towards certain sectors of the economy, treating them as though they're the only "real" jobs, disparaging all that "services" fooferaw which employs, like, 80% of us. All that's happening is that the basic manufacturing sector is shedding jobs because of productivity growth, ie, producing more with less labour. It's not because of uncompeitiveness or declining output, even during the recession.

This has happened for 200 years, sectors becoming more productive - it's why we dont need so many filing clerks or data entry people or guys who make planks of wood for ships or sheet-music manufacturers any more.

One solution is smarter use of manufacturing skills - be like the Asian economies and pick high tech infant industries to protect, subsidise and support in a targeted and incentivising way. Biotech, renewable energy, nanotechnology, recycling of materials, that sorta thing, there's plenty of growth areas to target.

Recently, when talking to one of my friends, he brought up his belief that America was on the cusp of the "post-employment economy." I was unfamiliar with this particular turn of phrase, and asked him to elaborate. He then defined it this way: the American economy enters a stage at which it can no longer create jobs fast enough to support our traditional ideas about employment. It’s not simply a matter of unemployment being uncomfortably high for a while. It’s a stage at which we as a society are forced to change how we approach work, and the lack thereof, because our old ideas are simply no longer viable.

I agree with the conclusion from a technological standpoint but not a social one. Productivity increases exponentially; unless need also increases with a similarly great or greater factor, the inevitable result is a situation wherein production is so efficient that work itself becomes unnecessary.

However, neither the USA nor any other country is even remotely close to being in a social position to take advantage of advancing technology to liberate their populations from the need for work, preferring instead to let their economies stagnate in order to preserve the increasingly obsolescent rule of capital.

Any theoretical business that adheres to the philosophy of "You basically don’t want workers. You hire less, and you try to find capital equipment to replace them" is going to get plowed during high unemployment, since people are willing to undersell themselves to just get jobs. Such as now. Firms that can make value out of displaced workers can out-compete that ideological nonsense.

Any theoretical business that adheres to the philosophy of "You basically don’t want workers. You hire less, and you try to find capital equipment to replace them" is going to get plowed during high unemployment, since people are willing to undersell themselves to just get jobs. Such as now. Firms that can make value out of displaced workers can out-compete that ideological nonsense.

Both philosophies are essentially identical; maximize profit by disenfranchising the workers (which is precisely why the "desirable" unemployment rate is 5% rather than 0%). Indeed, the former leads to the latter. Of course, the traditional tactic has been to ignore technology in favor of inefficient, labor-intensive methods when it is more cost-effective in the near-term, but such a tactic is irrational in the long-term or from an overall, societal standpoint.

Guys I think Korea would like a word with you about the relationship between technology, productivity and employment levels.

I don't see any resemblance at all. A firm tries to fire and replace workers with capital when capital is expensive and labor is cheap? I really can't see how that is "about maximizing shareholder value" at all. It's not even a real-life occurrence, it's just some ideological anti-business nonsense.

Yes. This is the inevitable culmination of the capitalist system before its ultimate collapse. I believe that we are fast approaching the twilight of the capitalist era. No more can the welfare state provide it with life support.

The problem is real and not limited to the US.All developed economies today have a relatively high basic unemployment level which is not touched by the economic cycle of boom and bust.
The solution is basically simple, but no politician dares risk it. Change the basic work week from 5 days, 40 hours, to, say, 4 days 34 hours or something like that. Give tax incentives that encourage businesses to replace the missing hours with labor, rather than more machines. Lower income tax rates, which should be possible since less unemployed must be supported, who at the same time become taxpayers themselves.

Result: instead of a few people working their butts off to support a lot of unemployed, who would like to work but can't get a job, work is distributed more evenly. Some people would earn a bit less after taxes, but these will mostly be those with high incomes now, and they will have more free time to compensate (3 day weekends? Yay!).

Personally, I'd love it. I have a relatively high-paying job but pay a lot of taxes. I'd gladly work a bit less and earn less money, part of which I'd save on taxes. Only, in the present system, asking for a shorter work-week would be career suicide - next thing would be the door! :eek:

I'm sorry, but I cannot take this seriously:
During periods of American economic expansion in the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s, the number of private-sector jobs increased about 3.5 percent a year, according to an analysis of Labor Department data by Lakshman Achuthan, managing director of the Economic Cycle Research Institute, a research firm. During expansions in the 1980s and ’90s, jobs grew just 2.4 percent annually. And during the last decade, job growth fell to 0.9 percent annually.
2010 was a historic high in unemployment. 2000 was at historic lows.

Graph:
(pink line is a moving average)
Source: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104719.html (NOTE: I typed in 10% for 2010. Also note the caveats on the bottom - if anyone wants to do this with different numbers please do!)

As you can see, unemployment was relatively flat during the 1950s, although a trendline that only went through the 1950s would of course show a big increase! During the 1960s, the EMA is flat, but again a trendine that showed only 1960 data would again show a decrease. There was a giant increase, no matter how you cut it, during the 1970s, and a corresponding decrease during the 1980s and 1990s.

2000 itself was the third lowest year of unemployment since 1950. And 2010 was the highest since 1950. To compare 2000 and 2010 is just completely stupid, because you're going trough to peak.

So not only has the author used "job growth" instead of the much more instructive and much more widely used measure of unemployment rate, he has also decided to measure trough to peak job growth, and concluded "hey, that's really low!!! omg."

2010 was a historic high in unemployment. 2000 was at historic lows.
That's why they're not measuring across the entire decade. Note the phrase "During periods of American economic expansion."

Just look at job growth after the .com bust. That was a recovery from a pretty severe recession, and Greenspan was busy pumping up one of the biggest bubbles the world has ever seen. Job growth should have been fantastic. Was it?

That's why they're not measuring across the entire decade. Note the phrase "During periods of American economic expansion."

Just look at job growth after the .com bust. That was a recovery from a pretty severe recession, and Greenspan was busy pumping up one of the biggest bubbles the world has ever seen. Job growth should have been fantastic. Was it?
Looks pretty good by historical standards. I can't see many other periods with faster falls in the unemployment rate.

It did not get that far above the 2000 low when you look at the graph, so I am agreeing with Mise here. We can't replace every one and every job with machines so we will find ways to get different jobs and that has always been the case.

I agree with those that say technology does not replace human labor, merely displaces it to other activities.

When the United States were created you needed more than 70% of the population in the fields to grow food for the country. Now you need what, 5%? Agricultural labor has become largely obsolete, but that did not mean hordes of jobless peasants threatning the established order. Likewise, the de-industrialisation that happened in the developed countries after the 70's did not result in hordes of unemployed industry workers.

It is a fallacy to relate technology and unemployement, a very persistent fallacy that comes up everytime there is a high unemployement period (and this is not the first nor the last nor the worst of those).

Eventually unemployement will go down in the States - that is, as long as you guys don't screw up labor laws by making it harder and more expensive to hire and fire.

Population overflow.

Far as I'm concerned, the job creation has been to low since ~1970. But it makes sense that it slowed after 1980. Look what happened then :mischief:

Far as I'm concerned, the job creation has been to low since ~1970. But it makes sense that it slowed after 1980. Look what happened then :mischief:

IIRC. Reagan made 20 million jobs in his 8 years and Clinton 22 million. Thats good :)

Reagan didn't make a single job. Jobs were only lost under him. I'll give you Clinton though.

Top Bottom