Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Yes, Rest of World

Votes: 42 55.3%
  • No, Rest of World

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • N/A - Can't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There is no monolithic single payer of research experts; outliers and outright liars should be pretty easy to spot.
How would you know the liars are the outliers and therefore easy to spot?

PS do you smoke? Smoking is good for you. The Science says so. I'm sure your cigarettes are fine; it's those other, untrustworthy cigarette manufacturers you should be wary of.

PS do you smoke? Smoking is good for you. The Science says so. I'm sure your cigarettes are fine; it's those other, untrustworthy cigarette manufacturers you should be wary of.

Ironic considering that "I won't take the vaccine because I'm not a moron" and "I will smoke cigarettes because I'm not a moron" are equivalently ignorant statements

How would you know the liars are the outliers and therefore easy to spot?
What's the reverse case?

A secret cabal of monied interests is successfully coordinating a massive coverup involving many thousands of people?

Seems unlikely!

At least, the elites will be motivated to develop 5G networks and increase their coverage!

There is no monolithic single payer of research experts; outliers and outright liars should be pretty easy to spot.

Don't have to depend on so-called qualified experts with jobs that actually involve medical research, theres lots of self-appointed experts on the internet for those wishing to validate their own opinions to pick from.

It's not unheard of to have artificially inflated results in medical research, e.g. "Among 74 FDA-registered studies, 31%, accounting for 3449 study participants, were not published. ... According to the published literature, it appeared that 94% of the trials conducted were positive. By contrast, the FDA analysis showed that 51% were positive." (regarding antidepressants) From https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa065779

In the case of current vaccinations, the situation is different since the companies have already gone public before publishing the results. Hiding directly harmful effects is more difficult as well. I'll take the vaccine when it's available.

That's some selective singling out there. See, for example, posts #2 and #5 in this thread. #5 being the most pertinent since it would seem to the the post that Mr Salty Mud was directly emulating.
It's not selective at all if you've been following the thread properly. Regardless of the fact that previous posts don't justify further such behaviour, and regardless of the false equivalence in presenting anti-vax and pro-vaccination as deserving of equal respect, salty mud was the one speaking out about name-calling, thus making it hypocritical to indulge in it themselves. I won't be continuing this tangent further, but as usual you can always PM if you think it necessary.

Canadian here, if it isn't clear to anyone reading.

I will take the vaccine, but maybe not at first. They are rushing through the approval process so I am a bit weary abut unexpected long-term effects.. but in the end I would follow whatever advice the experts were giving. I just might wait a bit before I jump on board.

I've been staying at home since March anyway, so I'm not one of the problem people who goes out to potentially spread the virus. So it seems that I can afford to wait a bit - it won't make much of a difference.. unless my boss forces me to return to the office, in which case I might bite the bullet a bit earlier.

I would support some sort of an electronic identifier that shows that you've been vaccinated. Those who don't vaccinate don't get to fly and make use of certain businesses, etc. We have enough such morons in Canada to potentially make this a bit of an issue, so I'd support such initiatives, even if they affect me (while I wait a bit before taking any vaccine)

I would support some sort of an electronic identifier that shows that you've been vaccinated. Those who don't vaccinate don't get to fly and make use of certain businesses, etc. We have enough such morons in Canada to potentially make this a bit of an issue, so I'd support such initiatives, even if they affect me (while I wait a bit before taking any vaccine)
The idea of a vaccine passport has been in the news today (Gove says they have no plans for it, so it will be rolled out by Christmas). For flights I think it would make a lot of sense, but for pubs I think people will just fake it.

At least, the elites will be motivated to develop 5G networks and increase their coverage!

What I dislike is people speaking about things they really know nothing about but foolishly tie them to something they think they know about which isn't really applicable at all.
And this 5G business is a good example, cause everyone should be aware that humans are made for 1G :shake:

Spoiler :

The idea of a vaccine passport has been in the news today (Gove says they have no plans for it, so it will be rolled out by Christmas). For flights I think it would make a lot of sense, but for pubs I think people will just fake it.

At the very least, some kind of vaccine or antibody confirmation should be required for travel. I'm indifferent to locally, though I wouldn't blink at it. Could be useful for large gatherings like sports and concerts.

Pretty sure that'll never happen in Germany (rightfully).
Because to make this easier, you could be displaying your infection/vaccinatio status with a sign on your jacket... and you know what that's a reminder of.

Because to make this easier, you could be displaying your infection status with a sign on your jacket... and you know what that's a reminder of.

Surely the shadows of the holocaust are no match to the bloated fears of a single person that others may cost him his precious life.

"Oh no, it sort of reminds us of the Nazis" is a silly reason to not do something pragmatically superior.

Well groomed uniforms remind me of the Nazis, but I'd never dress in a sloppy fashion just because I don't like the comparison.

Surely there's a better reason to give than "Oh noes, it's sort of similar (but not really) to something the Nazis did"

Because to make this easier, you could be displaying your infection/vaccinatio status with a sign on your jacket... and you know what that's a reminder of.

Yeah, for sure. Confirming that you won't spread a pandemic is equivalent to Nazi identification armbands and the trains to Auschwitz. Galaxy brain time.

"Oh no, it sort of reminds us of the Nazis" is a silly reason to not do something pragmatically superior.

Well groomed uniforms remind me of the Nazis, but I'd never dress in a sloppy fashion just because I don't like the comparison.

Surely there's a better reason to give than "Oh noes, it's sort of similar (but not really) to something the Nazis did"

Displaying your "status" for all to see will surely lead to different treatment. More than a bit like it did for those who had to display the star of David so good citizens wouldn't go near them.

Top Bottom