Any Multiplayer streamer/youtuber other than Yoruus?

yeah ofc but a noob cant notice them
its like a chess game if a 1500 elo player watch a 2500 elo game he cant understan what is good and what not

or also where are the more important moment to notice, if there are

To be honest, whenever I play I am always somewhat annoyed with myself when I discover inefficiencies that result in a slight loss of hammers or research compared to optimal play. Its always a battle with myself to try to play without any of the tiny inefficiencies that creep in whenever you arent micro-ing enough and planning each city.

Things that might happen: Using hammers when there is room to grow because of inattention+production focus (growing faster is better in the long-term, most of the time). Not setting production before end of turn, or building the wrong thing.

The strategic flaw in the other game (this one: http://www.twitch.tv/ashtaar007/b/473485784) was the placement of the 4th city on the dyes, which I knew would be extremely hard to defend against galeasses. I chose to do this, because I didn't have the happiness at the time to place it elsewhere without being unhappy, and there was an annoying barbarian camp in the way of the better spot. I should have just waited maybe 10 turns, or optimally not built the settler in the first place.

Since I knew my city was very hard to defend, this caused me to want to attack Carthage before he had galeasses, to hinder him so I would not lose my city later. Thus, a comp bow rush, with some triremes. He chose God of the Sea and used work boats+ a lighthouse, so I blockaded/pillaged them for a lot of time, and threatened his 2nd city. This harass was quite effective, and forced him to defend against it instead of doing whatever economy stuff he had planned. I could not close it out though, because the bottleneck was too much, combined with his Elephant units to stop my composite bows.

I went education first, because my typical plan of metal casting -> education -> whatever would be too slow to stop a galeass rush. Education -> machinery, skipping metal casting in favor of quicker crossbows to fight off the galeass rush.

However, I lost a general during my attack to his first galeass + some elephants (did not expect the galeass!) This general would have built a citadel. This caused my units to get trapped and slain by some elephants, leaving me with a pitiful 3 comp bows to upgrade to crossbows. Built 1 more crossbow by the time the galeasses got there, but I needed a little more, and he got the city.

My entire tech path and gameplan was dictated to me by placing the city on the dyes. If I had instead waited and put it somewhere off the coast (maybe on the sheep hill), I would not have to be so worried about galeasses, and I could instead get my workshops up and running. The increase in production would have made the frigate fight later much easier, and allowed me to keep all my cities healthy. I almost lost when Carthage upgraded his galeasses to frigates and attacked. Luckily, he didn't have much iron. All this pattering about with Carthage should have put me way behind the other continent. Luckily again, they were all stuck in a land war. So when my navy arrived and sacked the coastal towns of my biggest threats, they had no counter. I took one of Shoshone's major cities a little before he got artillery, a Brazilian city, and another power 48 size 20 Brazil city with my fleet. Shoshone and Brazil were my 2 main opponents (they were occasionally ahead of me in demographics). This was due to their error of having coastal cities without a navy to defend them.

Basically, I limited my own options severely by putting a city in a difficult to defend spot, but my opponents made errors too, so I won anyways

I'm a lot into looking at games. There's quite a few who does CiV on YouTube and twitch. I'm very picky, so I don't watch it all - low quality video or poor decision making is instant turnoff.

Yoorus - classic, the reason I started playing MP. Good commentary and high level play. YouTube.

BuilderFTW - excellent commentary, not top world player by any means. YouTube

Tommynt - just learned about him from this thread. Saw Yoorus play vs him. Very high level player. The video quality isn't too great and no commentary, so normally I wouldn't watch. Also he appears a bit arrogant, but I think part of it comes from am insecurity with English. But man, he knows how to play the game. YouTube

Moriarte - deity AP player. Very smart player, but sloooow videos and not too great commentary. Fun to watch in small batches just because of his decision making, but late game is so painful. YouTube

Marbozir - deity/immortal player. Not everyone's cup of tea but I think he has great commentary. Clearly not Moriarte or maddjinn level player, but very entertaining. YouTube

Maddjinn should need no introduction. YouTube.

The last guy I consider something of a hidden gem. He uploaded a bunch of videos on Twitch. I'm sure a lot of people know who he is, but didn't know where to find his recordings. FFA MP mostly. TrumpSC on twitch. Very recommended.

That's off the top of my head, I'll see if I can remember more.

Moderator Action: Warned for flaming.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

excelent bornslippy i tracked down the same list as you except the last one, will check it out..

btw your missing Primevalciv >>>> youtube (very smart player with a nice comentary)

I'd like to watch a FFA BNW video with some good commentary resulting in Cultural Victory. Are there any?

I'd like to watch a FFA BNW video with some good commentary resulting in Cultural Victory. Are there any?

Nope, not as i can tell. Cultural victory is the hardest of all in mp so it can take several tries before catching one ;)

I'm wracking my brain, and I just don't think cultural is possible at all against players with similar skill levels. Space/domination calls for lots of science and production, and those can be used to protect you from other players (or take away from other players). Culture, at most, harasses other players with unhappiness, it doesn't actually stop them from attacking you.

Every museum built, every archeologist trained, is a theft of bullets and fuel from those that protect us.

on the other hand its equally impossible for a ffa to have all ppl of the same lvl so in real games it could happen... assuming one of the best player decide to nerf himself in a sub par tactic

every discussion about how to win FFA games is pointless as all you have to do to win 95% of them is simply not to quit.

apart that d be a simple sacred sites spam boosted by desert faith or sinai do the trick vs 99% of FFA players

ok smote as u seem u really try i ll give u some pointers.
most glaring mistakes:

Tradition as front player with russia - really?
At least u still spamed settlers kinda fast - this is only good thing i can see here.
But liberty d have been so much better.

Your cap was positioned ok, but the poitioning of your teammates - makes me speachless - US got 2 iron and a gem and settles another hill? :crazyeye:

U NEVER traded your lux - with dutch in team u have to trade nonstop anyway but when u r +10 go give to your unhappy teammates dude. U played a TEAM game.

The positioning of noncap cities was really awful, espacially the 2nd city, like every good iles are in 3rd rind ... man go settle right on the ressources (if hill) or next to so u can use right away.
Well now u can argue that with tradition positioning might be done different but even then ..
The 3rd was at a good def spot, cant deny that. Other tem was just so dumb to try attack it.
Also this last city at map end - really?

Early unit use: .. well all your team was very passive with early units u coould have easily killed some spear in north 3 vs1. But your 1. spear in south really needed go into there back harassing and scouting. Instead u move next to a city u allready know and u knew that there was even a unit gurading a unlikly worker.

And your fighting .... well u arent the fastest clicker, but i often saw u thinking for like 5 sec where to move this injured unit instead of just having it move back SOMEwhere, better as dying - thats what happened to yours ..

also when u r slower (like vs russia) its often best to wait till opponent done moves and THEN do yours. Like that u can focus fire and kill off units. the way u did it u kinda of never killed a unit but injured all halfway ..

Also stuff like opponent unit got 50 hp u got 2 xbows 1 is 2 tiles away other 3 tiles.
u just shoot with unit1 and block your way to shoot with unit 2 so u cant kill. man move unit 1 then unit 2 then shoot with both and kill.

You got very lucky that US did for some reason send swords IN OPEN vs knights ...:confused:

Tradition as front player with russia - really?

Size 27 cap by the end :)

U NEVER traded your lux - with dutch in team u have to trade nonstop anyway but when u r +10 go give to your unhappy teammates dude. U played a TEAM game.

This might have been better. But I did not fully trust my teammate to not overgrow and demand them later.

The positioning of noncap cities was really awful, espacially the 2nd city, like every good iles are in 3rd rind ... man go settle right on the ressources (if hill) or next to so u can use right away.

Good tip. I agree 2nd city was sub-par. Didn't fully think that one through.

Also this last city at map end - really?

It had a unique luxury which by itself made it worth it... by then, most of the good spots were taken anyways. I was low on workers at the time, so on the luxury it was.

But your 1. spear in south really needed go into there back harassing and scouting. Instead u move next to a city u allready know and u knew that there was even a unit gurading a unlikly worker.

With 4/6 of our teams spearmen committed to top, I didn't want to sacrifice the southern ones in low-chance harass effort without a retreat, since there was no backup.

And your fighting .... well u arent the fastest clicker, but i often saw u thinking for like 5 sec where to move this injured unit instead of just having it move back SOMEwhere, better as dying - thats what happened to yours ..

Sometimes true, thanks for the tip.

Also stuff like opponent unit got 50 hp u got 2 xbows 1 is 2 tiles away other 3 tiles.
u just shoot with unit1 and block your way to shoot with unit 2 so u cant kill. man move unit 1 then unit 2 then shoot with both and kill.

The difference is that moving up in this situation is usually a 1-1 trade, while hanging back is a 0-0 trade, neither is necessarily better... I do move up if I want to trade or think it'll be a 1-0 trade.

You got very lucky that US did for some reason send swords IN OPEN vs knights ..

I was pleased ;)

This might have been better. But I did not fully trust my teammate to not overgrow and demand them later.

Size 27 cap by the end

really? U dont want your teammates to grow but rather show off with a big size cap???
Well this reminds me why i never team with "want to be good but aint there yet players" like u.

U know in a team USUALLY every player got 1 or 2 unique lux, and teamplay means that u trade this lux away as soon as u get 2nd type of it or if u dont need it yourself badly.
Staying at +10 happy while teammates who do only clever thing in teamer = spaming cities are unhappy is just ...

And all of above incrases just with dutch in game where u should give him every lux u have while he gives u every lux he got.

Its more efficient for me to use the 10 happiness for +20 population in the capital than for them to use it for +10 population, since I have monarchy... sometimes what's better for me is better for the team as a whole.

Also, nobody asked. I'm not going to just assume I should give up something I will need later. That 10 happiness did turn into a golden age for me, which was helpful.

I would have given teammates luxuries if there was a clear need for it. Also, the +10 happy was deceiving, because it depended on the ivory which was right on the front line and easily pillaged. When being attacked, it was equivalent to 6 happiness, and after trading, would have put me at 2, which is not much of a window. I would have had to build coliseums.

well u dont have to listen to tips and pointers if u u want stay bad.
But u should consider them as good when coming from one of the known best players playing this game.

And everything u write is totaly unrelated to the fact that u should trade your lux away if u dont need them and meanwhile to get a 2nd copy of this lux (or another lux in "your" land)
If whole team got this mindset every1 WILL profit.

Hi Smote, Tommy does sound heavy handed here.

I will translate the dialog: essentially when playing against more casual players, you can do many things that will not work against top players. There are many of us who have played thousands of these team games and we have tried just about everything - how you play is very common in these settings. When I first started playing competitive team games and duels I discovered that what worked and what didn't by getting crushed - however this getting crushed did not happen when I tried these things vs more casual players. What happens in this game (and many other games) is that people find something that works against the competition, so they keep doing it, and that reinforces their beliefs. If their competition is run-of-the-mill, they will not know they are doing something wrongly until they lose many games to top players, and only then does it sink in. This is the nature of complex competitive games, if it was not this way the game would be too simple like tic-tact-toe.

This all being said, there are settings and starts where Tradition big capital is the best way to go for some team games - the skill is assessing the situation and picking the best choices, again if it was simple the game wouldn't be fun.

Makes sense. Nothing is legit unless used against known skilled opponents. I'll bear this in mind.

Top Bottom