Anyone playing Shogun 2?

I'm still thinking what I said before - it's a well polished game, and a worthy sequel to the original Shogun, which is all I wanted. Multiplayer campaign is brilliant, and is what I've wanted for a multiplayer Total War game in a long time. If you've got a few hours free then starting up a game with a friend makes for a great time.

Yes, it is actually a great game, alot like the original.

M2TW was nowhere near the original MTW in my opinion, and didn't have many similarites, but Shogun 2 definately does the original justice.

I'm still thinking what I said before - it's a well polished game, and a worthy sequel to the original Shogun, which is all I wanted. Multiplayer campaign is brilliant, and is what I've wanted for a multiplayer Total War game in a long time. If you've got a few hours free then starting up a game with a friend makes for a great time.

Hellll yeaaa!

I've gotten way too addicted to MP. I dunno, I just fell in love with my veteran units. It's so awesome! The leaderboard is a little busted but that's ok.

So how is this game? I'm both a fan of the series and a cynic, but I've read a lot of good things about S2TW. So how buggy is this game? How's the AI? Does the AI do some incredibly stupid things like in previous TW games? From what I've been hearing, the AI is actually pretty decent. But I'd like to hear fan's opinions

I played 3 full conquest games and now I think I burned myself out. Back to Civ... Still a wicked game though and I'm sure I'll be coming back soon.

So how is this game? I'm both a fan of the series and a cynic, but I've read a lot of good things about S2TW. So how buggy is this game? How's the AI? Does the AI do some incredibly stupid things like in previous TW games? From what I've been hearing, the AI is actually pretty decent. But I'd like to hear fan's opinions

It's a massive improvement over Empire: Total War. There's a big load of AI improvements, both on the campaign and battle maps, though it's still far from perfect. There's evidence of cheating but it's not as bad as past games.

yaaa i just got done with the demo. sadly enough i quit after like 5 minutes. The whole battle thing is freakin epic.

but my pc lags on medium graphic settings when you zoom in close.

ALSO, i really would be sad if i found another game that would steal the shine from civ 5

I'm just wanting to see what the concensus is about Shogun 2... I just started playing it and think its pretty cool so far. But on Shogun forums, I see the same exact complaints, about AI being too easy and how EU3 rules...ect ect.

I have been liking Civ 5 so far, but will also admit that its more shallow than 4.

My old opinion of the game:
Spoiler :
I don't like it at all. I would even go so far as to say that I downright hate this game. I almost always lose. My enemy uses only 2 cav divisions and wipes out half my army, I try do do the same to his and I charge an archer battalion and get my butt whipped! I try and counter charge his 2 cav with my 4 cav units (who are supposed to be good against enemy cav) and they are massicared and he only loses a tenth of his horses! Worse, my few victories are not satisfying at all. They don't feel like a success where I matched wits against a worthy foe and came out victorious, but rather like an eventuality. All the units look exactly the same and I can't tell the difference between them, I can't figure out how anything works or what units are good against what (I charged one enemy infantry unit with 3 of my own and I had a massive hill advantage and I still lost), the game doesn't want me to be able to click on soldiers (meaning I have trouble selecting my own units and I have trouble ordering my units to attack the enemy), the game won't allow me to map the keyboard shortcuts the way I want to, veteran units won't let you know what unit class they were to start with farther exacerbating my confusion, the game's help takes too long to load and doesn't have any concise versions of the info, just massive amounts of data. Although the game runs just fine even on high settings (it actually seems to play better than medieval 2, this is probably because of compatibility issues between a new computer and an old game) it takes forever for anything to load (like 5 minutes for the game to even start up and over a minute for a battle to load or the campaign map to load). However what makes me most angry is the fact that because it is a steam game I can't even return or sell the stupid game!:mad:

My current opinion of the game:

Wow, I would not have guessed that my opinion of this game would change so dramatically in such a small amount of time.:crazyeye:
I did some research on the game and asked for some advice from people who were better at the game than I was. I quickly learned what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. I still don't like it that certain keys are locked and I am not allowed to use them, I am still annoyed that I can't return/sell/transfer the game (but now it is only because I am wishing that I had the limited edition instead).

What difficulty are you playing on? I don't know how it ramps in Shogun 2 but I remember in Medieval 2 I got bored of conquering the world again and again on medium so I put it up to hard and got thrashed. Increasing the difficulty doesn't make the AI smarter, it simply makes it cheat more and gives it benefits such as superior morale. Your battle woes sound similar.

Otherwise you'll have to wait for Shogun 2 players to enlighten you.

What difficulty are you playing on? I don't know how it ramps in Shogun 2 but I remember in Medieval 2 I got bored of conquering the world again and again on medium so I put it up to hard and got thrashed. Increasing the difficulty doesn't make the AI smarter, it simply makes it cheat more and gives it benefits such as superior morale. Your battle woes sound similar.

Otherwise you'll have to wait for Shogun 2 players to enlighten you.

I'm not fighting the AI, I'm playing online. What I don't understand is that I started playing Medieval 2 less than 6 months ago, started playing online shortly afterwards, and started winning quite often. In Medieval 2, I can almost always tell when victory is getting close or when the battle is starting to go against me, my victories feel like they were due to skill and my losses feel like I tried my best and was beaten because my opponent was simply better, with is a lot better than losing and not even knowing why. My biggest thing against shogun is I lose even when I can't figure out why. In Shogun, I've sent 4 cav units to attack my enemy's 2 and the enemy won even though they were fighting uphill.

PS: About Shogun 2 players enlightening me, any suggested reading material for said enlightenment? When finals are over I would be willing to give shogun a second chance if I thought that my biggest problem with the game was corrected (aka having at least some idea of why I won/lost a battle). I don't mind losing if I feel that I learned from the experience and that am getting better. If I am losing battles and understand why, then I can learn from my mistakes and the loses are not discouraging; however as I am losing battles and have no idea what I did wrong I find it discouraging and extremely aggravating.

As I said I don't own the game nor have I played any of the Total War series online so I can't help you there and for reading material my only suggestions are the manual, not the most helpful document if its like the previous manuals, and twcenter.net, which I have found rather handy for finding mods and delving into the odd strategy guide or AAR. You might find something useful there.

As I said I don't own the game nor have I played any of the Total War series on-line so I can't help you there and for reading material my only suggestions are the manual, not the most helpful document if its like the previous manuals, and twcenter.net, which I have found rather handy for finding mods and delving into the odd strategy guide or AAR. You might find something useful there.

Thanks, I've looked there also. Didn't find much :(

I'm not fighting the AI, I'm playing online. What I don't understand is that I started playing Medieval 2 less than 6 months ago, started playing online shortly afterwards, and started winning quite often. In Medieval 2, I can almost always tell when victory is getting close or when the battle is starting to go against me, my victories feel like they were due to skill and my losses feel like I tried my best and was beaten because my opponent was simply better, with is a lot better than losing and not even knowing why. My biggest thing against shogun is I lose even when I can't figure out why. In Shogun, I've sent 4 cav units to attack my enemy's 2 and the enemy won even though they were fighting uphill.
I rarely play on line, but some players will just choose the strongest troops instead of a balanced army and spend a lot of money on giving them experience bonuses (and in M2 and Rome, weapon and armour levels). This gives those units a huge edge in combat.

No, the AI does in fact use better tactics on harder M2TW difficulties, though its strategy still remains lolsome.

I'm extremely apprehensive about a new TW game, especially following the abortion that was Empire. Then again, I never played the original Shogun so this could be refreshing. I'll wait for customers to finish their ritual completion of the product first.

Just bought the Gold Edition: which includes two expansions: Rise of Samurai and Fall of Samurai

Will install it soon to see how it goes.

Top Bottom