Are you a fan of cars?

Exactly. Cars are powerful things. They give any nobody freedom to go wherever he wants whenever he wants. Unlike public transportation, It is the individual who decides, nobody but him is in control. And they are pretty cheap if you think what they really are and how much pieces, materials and engineering there is in every car. Beyond sustainability issues and such, cars are really amazing things.

I get control over which route my vehicle takes, but I don't get control over the travelling conditions (eg traffic, careless driving by other motorists), and my choice of routes is limited by where the infrastructure are. And I have about as much control over road construction, road maintenance, and city planning as the next voter.

If you approach it from the 'this is an engineering wonder' angle, yes cars are very cheap. If you approach it from 'this is something essential if I expect to participate in society beyond subsistence' then it's very expensive.

Exactly. Cars are powerful things. They give any nobody freedom to go wherever he wants whenever he wants. Unlike public transportation, It is the individual who decides, nobody but him is in control. And they are pretty cheap if you think what they really are and how much pieces, materials and engineering there is in every car. Beyond sustainability issues and such, cars are really amazing things.
The environmental effects of cars are overwhelming, though, and not just in emissions. The construction of modern cities is based around cars, not people. In some cases, the design of modern urban and suburban spaces excludes people. That's part of the reason you can't walk anywhere in so many cities. There's nothing natural about the layouts of newer American cities. Even today, people in cities that were built before cars don't really need cars. Outside of cities, it's a little different - and in some cases, you don't need to go too far outside the city - but again, that's partly due to the influence of cars on infrastructure design over the last 100 years. Small towns used to have "downtowns" where people could shop (the Brits have a nice term for it - "the high street"). In some places today, you can't even get to the other side of the street without getting back in your car and driving over. The growth of car culture and shopping malls - which, again, were built for cars to access, not for people to access - killed a lot of downtowns. Then of course delivery services like Amazon destroyed the shopping malls. When my grandmother was growing up in one of the smaller New England towns in the 1920s & '30s, she could take light rail not just from one end of her city to the other, and to the coastal town 12 miles away for the weekend. I'm pretty sure that was electric light rail - e.g. "street cars" - and in a small city that I bet few people here have even heard of.

I think in some places, you're seeing a regrowth of the old-fashioned, walkable downtown area, in spite of the cars. I think I mentioned somewhere, maybe not this thread, that a new light-rail line in Los Angeles opened I think just before the pandemic, and reached the 10-year ridership projections in one year. Even in Los Angeles - famous for its car culture, its enormous geographical footprint, and massive freeway system - people are practically climbing over each other for alternatives to driving.

Also, airplanes, which are worse carbon emitters than cars, have made a lot of America a lot less train-friendly. You used to be able to take a train from Boston to Montreal, for example. There were resort towns within a train ride's distance of major American cities that are gone now - not because of cars, but because of airplanes - but now, not only are those resorts gone, the trains that took you there are gone, too.

Our reliance on cars has been imposed upon us in more ways that we can count, and it's no accident that we have so few alternatives.

On a high point, 1/3 of productive acreage doesn't fodder for the hayburners(horses. Ugh. Horses)

Edit: Actually, it's not 1/3. General approximation ~2 acres to feed a horse, ~21 million horses in the early 20th century in the USA, ~42 million acres to feed them, then I lost interest.

Edit Edit: Closest I can find in the 1910 census is ~479 million improved agricultural acres nationwide.

Last edited:

While this is true, when you design the world we live in around cars, the way most developed nations have, you tend strip people of the freedom to not have a car, and even when you can get by without one, you can't live free from them - the noise, the pollution, the obstacles to non-car travel etc.

There is probably a balance to be found somewhere, but few if any places have gotten it right.

On a high point, 1/3 of productive acreage doesn't fodder for the hayburners(horses. Ugh. Horses)

Edit: Actually, it's not 1/3. General approximation ~2 acres to feed a horse, ~21 million horses in the early 20th century in the USA, ~42 million acres to feed them, then I lost interest.

Edit Edit: Closest I can find in the 1910 census is ~479 million improved agricultural acres nationwide.
Also no horse-poop everywhere. I've read that people of means would leave the cities in the Summer and go to the above-mentioned resorts, not just because of the heat, but because of the smell.

I do sort of wonder how thick it would have gotten on pavement, heheh!

I do sort of wonder how thick it would have gotten on pavement, heheh!
Some old houses around here still have antique boot-scrapers by front of the door. You can still use them for snow & slush in the Winter, but that wasn't primarily what they were for.

I have two of those! Not so pretty, but they work great for mud.

Would they come with chicken?

Great options include the Nazgul screech or Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins! on repeat
I was thinking "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin.

FB_IMG_1694715968510.jpg

Solidarity with UAW members who may be on strike at the big 3 US auto manufacturers this time tomorrow

QarQing, am I supposed to read that as char-ching?

As for the combustion-engine car, for all of its faults, it was hailed as a liberation from the dirty, disgusting, and dangerous wastes left behind by horses.

Top Bottom