Ask a Soldier

If there's a risk to the vehicle, you don't leave it unguarded in the first place.
Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to guard it full time, and even if I did, that might not be a bulletproof strategy.

At checkpoints, we sometimes look in the engineroom and trunk, as well as under the car with mirrors on a stick, but that's checking someone elses vehicle, not you're own.
Wouldn't the peeps just rig the engine room or trunk to explode when opened?

Luckily, my car doesn't have a trunk!

Also, a bomb of any real size is going to be heavy. If the car is riding low, that could be a sign.
Ooh that's good to check.

Perf are you getting shaken down by the mob?
Haters gonna hate. Just the way it is.

And sometimes it's as obvious as strange packages near the car.
Ooh, that's a good thing to remember, peeps might try to blow me up near my car.

But that wasnt specified by perf now was it? It could be a bomb meant just to kill the driver/passengers, or it could be a bomb to take out a city block.
I'm primarily concerned with Perfs.

Also, in order for it to be small but still kill the occupants, it would need to be placed in a spot it could achieve that. That means you might also see damage to the car as if someone has broken into it (scratches on door, hood or trunk), or something hanging down from the undercarriage, lower than normal.
Looks like Perf needs to carry around his telescoping mirror more!

One thing that concerns me is that peeps might try to remote detonate my car. So anything that would help me deduce the having of a bomb in it from a distance might be helpful.

I was under the impression the drivers wheel arch was the traditional spot for smaller bombs.
Use a pound of C4 people, with a electric detonator hooked into the brake light circuit.
Just tape under the drivers side, and they will get a real surprise the first time they touch the brakes.
Where you guys getting this info from? Are you guys military too?

Use a pound of C4 people, with a electric detonator hooked into the brake light circuit.
Just tape under the drivers side, and they will get a real surprise the first time they touch the brakes.

Composition B works better if placed in a small wok and attached directly under the drivers seat. And I'd opt for the starter solenoid rather than brake light circuit. More reliable power source. Wire it into the positive feed at the solenoid itself for least line loss.

Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to guard it full time, and even if I did, that might not be a bulletproof strategy.
Well then ask a FBI agent or a hitman. Soldiers don't just park their car in a dangerous area, hoping no one will touch all the fancy equipment inside.

Wouldn't the peeps just rig the engine room or trunk to explode when opened
Good question. I should have added that we ask the driver to step out of the vehicle and open them. That way he will at blow him self up when opening it. Or more likely, look so god damn nervous that we get suspicious and react before we all blow up. It's also great for catching people who have things they're not supposed to have in general, plus afterwards no one can claim that we planted it there, since he was there with us everytime we looked somewhere.

Composition B works better if placed in a small wok and attached directly under the drivers seat. And I'd opt for the starter solenoid rather than brake light circuit. More reliable power source. Wire it into the positive feed at the solenoid itself for least line loss.
:lol: Line loss. Cute.

Well then ask a FBI agent or a hitman. Soldiers don't just park their car in a dangerous area, hoping no one will touch all the fancy equipment inside.
Fair criticism!

Good question. I should have added that we ask the driver to step out of the vehicle and open them. That way he will at blow him self up when opening it. Or more likely, look so god damn nervous that we get suspicious and react before we all blow up. It's also great for catching people who have things they're not supposed to have in general, plus afterwards no one can claim that we planted it there, since he was there with us everytime we looked somewhere.
Is there some equipment that you use to help detect bombs?

I mean there's like explosive sniffing dogs and stuff, right?

You do realize that they make fishing line that cannot be broken by human strength? Do they make grenade pins that cannot be pulled by human strength?

Can it be cut? Because thats the main issue, not strength, considering the fact that there is going to be a couple of sharp edges going through the floorboard.

A more common type of grenade boobytrap involves the pin already pulled, but something barely holding the spoon in place. Once the spoon is disturbed the grenade goes boom. An easier method would be simply to pull the pin, and then place the grenade under the seat as to keep the spoon in place until its disturbed by some motion or inertia.

So like, I should check under my seat for grenades, then? Maybe I could put in some foam inserts or something to keep stuff out of there?

Actually, you should just chill out and not worry about any of it. The odds of you being carbombed are probably worse than you winning the lotto.

That would work :D

I beleive pretty standard was using RDX or HMX under the wheel arch, at the weakest point, detonated by a liquid mercury triop switch at an angle, or using a ball bearing.

So that there is no need to mess with the electrics or gain access, just attach and turn it on?

Yep, it's set up so that essentially the inertia of the ball bearing keeps it in place while the circuit moves, once the bearing fits into the circuit, completing it, it detonates.
You know, no need to actually damage the car. Classic IRA execution style.

Does a banana in the tail pipe really work? Asphyxiate by CO poisoning?

I mean there's like explosive sniffing dogs and stuff, right?
You can't bring a dog onto every checkpoint, plus explosives can be many things, not all of which a dog would react upon.
I guess you could try to get your hands on a dog that was trained to find most explosives (Like a police dog), but I doubt it would be easy, and there is no way you can train it your self, as well as the police would do.

Since a lot of explosives involves metal, either as fragments or as a trigger device (A cell phone in an IED for an example, you can sometimes find it with a metal detector (Though obviously this in not an option most places in a car, since it's made of metal)

At the end of the day, you can use a lot of equipment, but the best detector is a well trained soldier.

Regarding grenades under the seat, it's certainly a possibility, but seriously, it could be almost everywhere. I guess the best way of protecting your self is:

1. Don't park a dangerous place.

2. Go through your car very carefully, check every spot.

First off I know I haven't been around the forums much recently. Real life has intervened - sharply - and that's cut down my internet time massively. I have however decided I'm going to try and keep this thread going although looking back through it I think thanks are due to Storealex, Mobboss and anyone else who has answered questions on it.

1. Did you enlist or were you called up for national service?

National Service, if I remember correctly, went out in 1959. I enlisted voluntarily.

2. Does each regiment conduct its own recruit training or is there an army post where initial training is centralized?

Short answer - it varies from corps (we don't often speak of regiments in this contexy, but corps as in Infantry, Royal Engineers, and so on). Basically, after getting through interviews (and Sandhurst for officers) everyone does what is called Phase 1 training at one of the Army Training Regiments which from memory are now at Pirbright (site of what was the greatest cookhouse in the UK, before Sodexho... but that's another story), Winchester and Catterick depending on your corps (although training is pretty much the same). At Phase 1 you learn the basics of being a soldier - they get you fit, teach you to march and to operate and maintain your personal weapon. This means that everyone, from the SAS to the chefs, has a basic level of military training, which makes every member of the British army as good a combat soldier as the infantry from pretty much anywhere else (the classic example used to be the USA, but that isn't really true anymore).

From there you go on to Phase 2 which is specific to corps - Infantry go to Catterick and do a lot more of fieldcraft, skill at arms and so on, while the Royal Artillery have a school at Woolwich, and it differs for every corps. Guards train the same as Infantry but then go on to the All Arms Drill Course at Pirbright. Potential paratroopers, on completion of this phase, go on to a selection course called P Company which they must pass to be allowed to wear a maroon beret (before then you wear the cap-badge and a blue beret), and then a parachuting course run by the RAF

3. What was your pay on enlistment?

It's all changed since I was in but it was far less, even if you allow for inflation, than soldiers of that rank get today. The conditions in which men are kept have improved no end.

4. What are the duties of an RSM?

The RSM is, along with God, one of two people allowed to walk on the grass at a barracks - and only God because the RSM can't see him. Essentially he is the regiment's voice of experience; works mainly with knowing everything about the Queen's Regulations (about dress and comportment mostly), regimental tradition, and being a mentor to young officers joining the regiment. Also, despite being theoretically junior to all officers, will instill fear in everyone except the CO, who is essentially his partner.

5. Do jump qualified personnel receive extra pay for it?

Yes; in my day and extra 2s per day

6. Are most members of the SAS recruited from the Parachute Regiment?

Overwhelmingly. You get to the course briefing and there's just a sea of maroon with the odd Khaki (guards) and almost no other berets. This is because if you're good enough that you might eventually apply for the SAS, you're probably good enough to apply for the paras, and the training done is very good preparation. Also the roles are similar and many of the skills required the same only in greater quantity - fitness, self-discipline, fieldcraft... so paras have an advantage in passing the course. That and parachute officers and careers people encourage their men onto it, although I have heard that the new Rifles regiment have a similar policy. Can't see as many of them getting through though.

7. What percentage of Army officers came up through the ranks? Is their any social divide between Sandhurst graduates and former enlisted officers?

I think it's about one in ten.

First of all, there's no such thing as a Sandhurst graduate - it's not a university like in the USA; most officers have degrees before they go although it's in no way a prerequisite (and in British english enlisted and conscripted have the same meaning; we say OR [ordinary rank] for a non-officer).

Generally the divide is one of class - while it's no longer true to say that the typical DE (direct entry) is upper-class, it was far more so when I got my LE (late entry; ranker's commission) and there are no DE officers from backgrounds like mine where we left school at 16, because you need A-Levels to even apply. Also there is age to consider; to be considered for an LE commission you need to have served at least 20 years so will be 35-40 while a new DE is about 19. Don't forget that LE officers commission (although I got demoted to Lt, but that's a long story [good one though]) as Captains which is 2 ranks senior to second lieutenant (pronounced LEFF-tenant, obviously).

One thing I would say is that if you meet an LE Lieutenant Colonel, then treat them with respect - to get to that rank, you have to be a warrant officer (which would be a very proud end-of-career rank), then be commissioned and then reach a rank which any officer would be very proud of ever reaching having started halfway up your ladder. As such these are very, very good officers who would have made generals had they entered as officers. I have never heard of an LE officer reaching higher.

We used to do this in Ulster all the time (as Storealex says you shouldn't really leave your car anywhere that it's likely to be bombed, but that's not so easy when the 'danger area' is a whole province). Basically we just opened everything up, looked under the car (using a wing mirror on a stick; you could get that done down at a garage for very little) and checked it was all normal. A few guys did lose their lives to those, and there were also a few who managed to bring them back to camp (somehow) much to the shock of the men and the anger of the RSM. Generally they're not hard to spot if you stick ytour head under it: look for a package on the underside of your car that looks like a bomb. Luckily I never had one.

Thanks for the post, Flying Pig. I enjoyed reading through it. Canadian infantry here. Just returned from my second tour in Afghanistan. Current rank of Master Corporal. I hope to reach the rank for RSM some day. We'll see how it all works out. I've still got around 17 years left.

Flying Pig, thank you for a very informative reply. I served in the U.S. Navy and crawled up through the hawse pipe - I started out as a Seaman Recruit and retired as a Lieutenant Commander. For that reason I have always been interested in the experiences of ORs in other armed forces who become officers.

You and I must be the oldest Civfanatics around here.

you said your demotion was a good story, is it a story you'd be willing to share?

are the gurkhas as good as their reputation suggests? and would their be many if any of them in the SAS

Top Bottom