Ask a Travel Question here!

Places being shut down shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless that also includes the train and airport. :lol: I believe the current plan is that I'll be in France starting the second week of July and will stay there for 3-4 weeks, and then spend a week in Sweden.
You should check with our French members about what closes in August. Where in France will you be?

When I was in Norway in August (in 2015) a bunch of stuff was shut down cause "half the country is on vacation", but it wasn't really that bad. Most stuff seemed open. Some businesses seemed to be staffed by workers from other countries, but some mom n pop style restaurants were closed. Mind you, that's Norway and not France.

I would get hiking sort of pants with zippable stow pockets you can put your wallet, passport, phone, etc. in so that it'll be hard to pickpocket. I always travel in pants like that and keep my wallet in one stow pocket and passport and phone in the other. Keeping your passport back at the hotel in a safe is another option, but I prefer to have the passport on me. Another benefit of hiking sort of pants is that they will dry fast if they get wet.. and I always get the kind that has detachable pantlegs, for when it's warmer and I want to wear shorts. I will spend extra to get higher quality pants so that they are a bit stretchy and comfortable too, and not the cheap stuff. I also always bring a backup pair of the exact same kind of pants. But I also do a decent amount of hiking when I travel. Still though, when travelling to a place where pickpocketing is common, I would probably want pants with stow pockets that zip up. I also have built up a habit of touching my stow pockets every 10-15 minutes to make sure I still have my stuff on me.

I would research common scams and flams for the destinations you will be heading to. Read up on them and be ready for them.

One thing you might encounter in Europe that's different than in North America is the water drinking situation, as far as restaurants go. I continue to see posts of people being surprised that you can't just get tap water in some places.. although it seems to depend on the restaurant. A lot of places will default to bottled water, sometimes fizzy, sometimes not, when you ask for water. In some places it seems recommended to instead of asking for water, to be more specific than that, and to say you don't want bottled or fizzy water, and go from there. From what I read a lot of restaurants will also charge you for water. In North America of course the default is that you get a free glass of tap (or filtered) water with every meal.

My friend was in Sweden recently and he's really into breweries and trying local beers. He was surprised that the breweries in Sweden are not allowed to serve alcohol. Here in North America it's fairly common for breweries to have tours where you can try samples, and a lot of breweries will have outright bars set up inside where you can sample the brews. Not so in Sweden, it seems. At some breweries they were surprised that my friend wanted to visit. They told him that if he wanted to try their beers, he'll have to head to a bar. I'm not sure if this is a country-wide thing, but my friend said it was pretty common during his visit. Mind you he only visited 2 cities I think.

Protecting your passport and money from pickpockets is important and zippered pockets are a good way. In Spain, China and Africa I used a neck pouch worn under my shirt that had places for my passport and cash and hotel room keys. I kept ready cash for minor purchases in a pocket. Yes, protect your phone.

In most of Europe this is probably not required, but some people bring a fake wallet with them that they keep in their pocket, their real wallet hidden away somewhere a bit more secure. The idea is that if you ever get mugged, you can give them the fake wallet and hope that they let you go. Just make sure there's a bit of money and some other stuff in there, like a couple old useless cards or something, something without your name or anything else they could use in any nefarious way, so that it appears to be a legit wallet at first glance. You can also do the same thing with your phone, have an older phone on you that you can use to connect to wifi, something you wouldn't care if it got stolen, your real phone hidden away somewhere a bit more secure. I've only ever personally done the fake wallet thing a couple times. Never had to make use of it, but.. you never know.

I also stick to a couple rules regarding my daypack or backpack when I travel. First of all, I never keep anything valuable in any pocket that can be unzipped from the outside. I also follow a "never lose sight of your backpack" rule, unless I am wearing it or unless I've looped one of the shoulder straps all the way around a chair's back rest that I am sitting on. So basically, if somebody wanted to steal your backpack if you're ever sitting down, they'd have to either knock you out first so that they can pull it off the chair, or they'd have to use scissors to cut the strap. It's not a 100% foolproof system, but thieves usually look for easy targets. Don't make yourself an easy target and they will almost always move on to somebody who is. Never leave your backpack somewhere and walk away or turn away from it. Ever. A thief just needs a second or two to ruin your day.

And this is a bit more conceptual, but I always spend the first couple days in a new country or even city to just sort of casually observe the way people behave. Every part of the world has a certain way that the locals cross the street, the way they walk on the sidewalk, the way they line up when ordering something, ideas about personal space, other norms, etc. My first day somewhere is usually one where I'm recovering from jetlag and taking it easy, so I'll sit at a cafe here, at a patio there, at a park bench, etc. and just observe people and the way the locals do things, the general vibe of the place, etc. Don't stare, of course, just be casual about it. The goal is to try to move more like the locals do, and behave more like them, even just a bit. Thieves and other scammers usually pick out easy targets. If you give off "this person has been here for a while" vibes, you will be less of a target. If you appear to be someone who just got there and is a fish out of water, that makes you more of a target. It's often impossible to not look like a tourist at all, especially if your ethnicity doesn't match that of the locals.. but what you can control is your body language. After a couple days somewhere I always want to move around the city with a bit more confidence, even if I'm not fully confident. I want to appear to be someone who is very familiar and comfortable with their surroundings, and not someone who just got there. You can of course also try to dress less touristy, but that is often not practical. You want to have those pants with stow zipper pockets, for instance, or at least I always do, and touristy looking backpacks or daypacks come in very handy too. Locals almost never wear those. So you can't control that, but you can give scammers watching you the impression that you are familiar with your surroundings. Don't make yourself an easy target, make it appear as though you've been there for a while and maybe even live there. Someone like that will be harder to scam compared to a fish out of water, so scammers are more likely to move on to easier targets (of which there are usually plenty)

Of course trying to be confident in a situation where you are not confident at all can backfire too... so be smart about it. Don't just run out into traffic even if that's what the locals do. It's all about balance and having awareness of your surroundings, any sort of social or other context that might exist, etc.

I appreciate the advice, though the majority of it does not apply to me. I will not be a tourist nor will I be in tourist places, and my general response to any stranger who approaches me in public is a simple "no." I'm just staying at a friend's place. :) The observing thing is a good one though. I always hear that Canadians are considered overly polite when abroad. Then again, I've been in Vancouver the past decade, so maybe that won't be a problem. :lol:

I always hear that Canadians are considered overly polite when abroad.

I guess that to some people, 'please', 'thank you', 'excuse me', and not cutting in line are considered bad things?

I appreciate the advice, though the majority of it does not apply to me. I will not be a tourist nor will I be in tourist places, and my general response to any stranger who approaches me in public is a simple "no." I'm just staying at a friend's place. :) The observing thing is a good one though. I always hear that Canadians are considered overly polite when abroad. Then again, I've been in Vancouver the past decade, so maybe that won't be a problem. :lol:

Scammers would definitely be targeting touristy parts of town first and foremost, but most of them probably live elsewhere, so it is possible you'll run into one anyhow. This might be overkill, but I'm always sort of on my toes no matter where I am, when I travel. Of course not so much that it's taking away from your enjoyment of the trip! But I've sort of grown eyes in the back of my head, making sure to always be aware of my surroundings. In some countries non-touristy parts of town can also be sketchy so I guess I just got used to doing that no matter where I go.

This might also not apply to you, but I have learned that in some parts of the world saying anything to an approaching scammer is an invitation for them to talk to you further so they can try to convince you of whatever. I just ignore them and walk away. Sometimes just saying anything, even "no" or "not interested" opens an annoying dialogue that you have to then deal with, but just ignoring and walking away had always worked for me. It feels rude, but what can you do. Some scammers (again depending on the part of the world) see you responding (even with a no) as a sign that you are polite to some degree and that it will be possible to engage with you further. Ignoring them sends the message that you know their spiel and aren't going to put up with it at all, and that you are confident enough to just keep walking. Gotta watch out too, as some people might get insulted if you ignore them, in the off chance that they are not actually a scammer and have some legitimate business with you. That almost never happens though, from my experience.

As for Canadians being polite.. well.. It's just commonplace here in Canada to always say things like thank you, you're welcome, to say sorry when you bump into someone, etc. I have noticed that even just across the border, in the U.S. instead of a "you're welcome" you will often get a grunt-like "UH HUH" without a smile. That would be seen as very rude in Canada. We are just generally speaking brought up to use certain polite phrases. As for us actually being polite, that's another story I think. There's plenty of Canadian jerks. We just prefer to appear polite on the surface. What's underneath that surface might differ from person to person.

Having said that, Canadian travelers seem to have a good reputation travelling abroad. I've never had somebody react negatively when I told them I was from Canada. It's usually "ooh Canada!" and a smile or something similar. I feel bad for those polite travelers who are from countries that have the exact opposite reputation.

Having said that, Canadian travelers seem to have a good reputation travelling abroad. I've never had somebody react negatively when I told them I was from Canada. It's usually "ooh Canada!" and a smile or something similar. I feel bad for those polite travelers who are from countries that have the exact opposite reputation.

Do you ever get a response that immediately jumps to the "eh" or "aboot" stereotype? 'Cause we don't all say "eh" and the only people I've heard saying "aboot" are the ones who created it in the first place, plus a jerk on YT who insists that yes, we do all say "aboot" and he goes out of his way to say it in every other sentence. There are a lot of people who have nothing good to say about him because he's determined to pretend he speaks for Canadians and he really doesn't.

This might also not apply to you, but I have learned that in some parts of the world saying anything to an approaching scammer is an invitation for them to talk to you further so they can try to convince you of whatever. I just ignore them and walk away. Sometimes just saying anything, even "no" or "not interested" opens an annoying dialogue that you have to then deal with, but just ignoring and walking away had always worked for me. It feels rude, but what can you do. Some scammers (again depending on the part of the world) see you responding (even with a no) as a sign that you are polite to some degree and that it will be possible to engage with you further. Ignoring them sends the message that you know their spiel and aren't going to put up with it at all, and that you are confident enough to just keep walking.
Possible. That happens here too, but at least here, they give up once they exceed my patience and I get mean. Of course, "mean" here means telling them to step away and leave me alone. Rude in cordial conversation, but fine if someone is accosting you. Vancouver has become rife with people like that now. Pretty much every major foot traffic spot and store have at least one person who will outright step in front of you to stop you and give their schpiel. Feral behaviour, IMO.

Do you ever get a response that immediately jumps to the "eh" or "aboot" stereotype? 'Cause we don't all say "eh" and the only people I've heard saying "aboot" are the ones who created it in the first place, plus a jerk on YT who insists that yes, we do all say "aboot" and he goes out of his way to say it in every other sentence. There are a lot of people who have nothing good to say about him because he's determined to pretend he speaks for Canadians and he really doesn't.

I haven't yet actually! Usually people just seem to be upbeat about me being from Canada. Maybe I've been lucky but stereotypes don't really get brought up.

I have honestly never heard anyone say "aboot" in Canada, aside from people mocking those who mock us for supposedly saying the word like that. And I mean, as far as negative stereotypes go, I'd rather we'd be known for speaking one word funny rather than being obnoxious travellers without any manners. Of course ideally there'd be zero negative stereotypes being thrown around, but as long as they exist..

I'm heading to Portugal in June! I haven't had any time to do much research yet, but a friend of mine is heading there so we will be splitting on accommodations in central Lisbon.

A cursory google-fu tells me that there are a reasonable amount of day trips available from Lisbon, where we would be staying. Are there many bus/train/other transportation options available to worthy day trip destinations in the area? So, ideally I'd jump on a bus or train in the morning and be back before midnight. Does that sound reasonable? Or would you need a car to really visit worthy destinations in the country? So far a lot of the day trip options I am seeing include booking tours, which I don't want to do. Ideally I'd jump on a bus or train on my own and do my own thing. Is this workable? For day trips I'd want to visit smaller cities, hiking destinations, etc.

I am interested in culinary options, architecture, older parts of town, beaches, hiking options, cultural festivals, and anything else that's unique to that part of the world or you think is worth a look. This is gearing up to be a more relaxed vacation than what I usually do, but I want to wrap my head around what kind of trip this will end up being before I book anything. I am hoping to go for almost 3 weeks, but that seems too long for a Lisbon stay. However, if there's enough day trip options, then that might be fine.

Porto seems like a city you'd want to dedicate multiple days to. Would it be reasonable to use Lisbon as a base for 2 weeks, going on day trips, etc. and then spend 4-5 days or so in Porto? Or would 2 days be better for Porto? A day trip from Lisbon seems out of the question.

Any tips at all, send them my way!

Last edited:
I'm heading to Portugal in June! I haven't had any time to do much research yet, but a friend of mine is heading there so we will be splitting on accommodations in central Lisbon.

A cursory google-fu tells me that there are a reasonable amount of day trips available from Lisbon, where we would be staying. Are there many bus/train/other transportation options available to worthy day trip destinations in the area? So, ideally I'd jump on a bus or train in the morning and be back before midnight. Does that sound reasonable? Or would you need a car to really visit worthy destinations in the country? So far a lot of the day trip options I am seeing include booking tours, which I don't want to do. Ideally I'd jump on a bus or train on my own and do my own thing. Is this workable? For day trips I'd want to visit smaller cities, hiking destinations, etc.

I am interested in culinary options, architecture, older parts of town, beaches, hiking options, cultural festivals, and anything else that's unique to that part of the world or you think is worth a look. This is gearing up to be a more relaxed vacation than what I usually do, but I want to wrap my head around what kind of trip this will end up being before I book anything. I am hoping to go for almost 3 weeks, but that seems to long for a Lisbon stay. However, if there's enough day trip options, then that might be fine.

Porto seems like a city you'd want to dedicate multiple days to. Would it be reasonable to use Lisbon as a base for 2 weeks, going on day trips, etc. and then spend 4-5 days or so in Porto? Or would 2 days be better for Porto? A day trip from Lisbon seems out of the question.

Hm. A quick search of cultural festivals turned up an international sand sculpture festival:

sand-sculpture-festival-portugal.png

Dunno if this is something that might interest you. I know I'd be interested.

Apparently they also have a festival dedicated to sardines, that's related to some saint. :eek2:

Hm. A quick search of cultural festivals turned up an international sand sculpture festival:

Dunno if this is something that might interest you. I know I'd be interested.

Apparently they also have a festival dedicated to sardines, that's related to some saint. :eek2:

Looks like a 3+ hr train trip from Lisbon to that part of the country. I don't see any bus options (but maybe I didn't look hard enough) I'd arrive at 11:30am ish and have to depart by 6pm for the train back. I love riding trains so that could actually be an option, although 6+ hours on a train also seems a bit extreme. But I won't mind

Is Lisbon connected to major Spanish cities with a fast train of any kind? I haven't looked very hard yet, am sort of googling all over the place

Providing a fast and comfortable connection between astonishing Lisbon and fabulous Madrid, these modern trains traverse the distance of 502 km (311 mi) in about 10 hours.

Okay that came up but that's not fast at all lol. I wanted to see if there'd be any sense in spending some of my time in Spain, maybe a couple days at the end of my trip or something.

If there are any other things in that vicinity you'd find interesting, like restaurants or other interesting places, would it be worth an overnight stay there? Or is the plan to stay in Lisbon every night a done deal?

If there are any other things in that vicinity you'd find interesting, like restaurants or other interesting places, would it be worth an overnight stay there? Or is the plan to stay in Lisbon every night a done deal?

My friend is 100% set on booking a place there for a month actually, and I'd be joining him for some amount of time that works for me, and then we'd settle up based on how long I stay there. So I'm trying to figure that out basically. It looks like I'll be in Lisbon for 2 weeks staying with my friend, and then I might head north to Porto and spend a couple days there before my flight home (although my flight home would be from Lisbon)

It seems that there's a decent amount of things worth seeing further out in Lisbon and beyond, 30min-1-3 hours by train, etc. So it seems being in central Lisbon as a HQ and exploring from there should work out nicely (but i'm just basically beginning my research). I wish trains to Spain were faster.

I am interested in culinary options, architecture, older parts of town, beaches, hiking options, cultural festivals, and anything else that's unique to that part of the world or you think is worth a look. This is gearing up to be a more relaxed vacation than what I usually do, but I want to wrap my head around what kind of trip this will end up being before I book anything. I am hoping to go for almost 3 weeks, but that seems too long for a Lisbon stay. However, if there's enough day trip options, then that might be fine.

@innonimatu lives in Portugal

Is Lisbon connected to major Spanish cities with a fast train of any kind? I haven't looked very hard yet, am sort of googling all over the place

It looks like the Lisbon <> Madrid rail connection is a very slow one, unless I'm blind.

It also seems like EURail is a ripoff? You pay $300-$500 for a week? and then have to pay for reservations on top? When I casually glance at train ticket prices, it seems it makes a lot more sense to just book tickets as you go, even high speed ones (from Lisbo to Porto)

Maybe I'm not understanding how EURail works? It seems excessively expensive even without the reservation costs on top.

@innonimatu I would welcome any tips at all! Thanks!

Top Bottom