Best Cover Song?

GuitarHero

Caligula II
What was your favorite cover song? Mine is Killswitch Engage's cover of "Holy Diver".

Enjoy the silence by Tori Amos, original by Depeche Mode.

Mercy seat by Johnny Cash, original ny Nick Cave.

Imagine by Perfect Circle, original by John Lennon.

There are also other good covers, but usually they are of songs that you aren't so familiar with. These songs I had heard many times, and on first hearing didn't like the covers at all, but with some found them excellent. Good cover always adds somehing to the original song, or shows it in a different light. Just playing someone else's song is boring.

Paint it black done by the stones(the only song i like by them) or the various thousands of remakes of house of the rising sun, the first original bluesy one sucks bad.

Simple Man covered by Shinedown, also I think A Perfect Circles cover of Imagine is better than John Lennon's original.

Through The Grapevine - CCR

That's a damn good one.

Since I'm terrible at picking an absolute best of most things, I'll nominate the covers that I consider to be equal to or better than the originals.

I Love Rock and Roll - covered by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, originally by The Arrows

You Really Got Me - covered by Van Halen, originally by The Kinks

Tainted Love - covered by Soft Cell, originally by Gloria Jones

Come Together - covered by Aerosmith, originally by The Beatles

Der Kommissar - covered by After the Fire, originally by Falco

Crossroads - covered by Lynyrd Skynyrd, originally by Cream

Surprisingly, Metallica's version of "Turn the Page" works as well as the original. It's got a different feeling to the song though - more rage and anger, where the original was more resigned and hurt.

NOT a fan of Guns & Roses' remake of "Cat in the Cradle" though - it just doesn't work as well.

-- Ravensfire

I think the perfect circle version is better, but I still think they both suck so its kinda moot.

I think the perfect circle version is better, but I still think they both suck so its kinda moot.
You're going down, bi-atch! :mad:

I think John Lennon's version of Imagine is crappy, and why it is even remembered is beyond me. But if you are going to do a cover, that is the way to do it. I really like APC's version (though I'm biased cause my favourite song, Magdalena, was done by them).

I wonder if somebody is going to say Funky Town.

Good to see that A Perfect Circle track mentioned, it is very good!

My faves...

Marilyn Manson's 'I Put A Spell On You' + 'Tainted Love' + 'Sweet Dreams'

Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls

Rage Against The Machine - Renegades Of Funk

Marilyn Manson does good covers. I've never though he was very talented at writing his own stuff though...

Top Bottom