Beyond The Sword

I played most of the set. Will post once I'm done but there's a lot of sports on tonight that I'm not gonna miss...

Got carried away with the wine a bit last night so only just finished the set...

IHT (166)
Clean up MM. Start some missing basic infra. Revolt to buerocracy (!!!). Switch research to Philo to trade for it with darius without paying any gold. Also stop spending EPs on Darius, CdG & co as we see their research now.

1 (167)
Monty demands nearly all our gold (around 300). Think long about it but decline. He's busy elsewhere and will hate us anyway once we start stealing off him.

2 (168)
Alex quits WFYABTA.

3 (169)
Trade Optics + Theo for Philo + 20g with darius. This reveals that HC already has Nationalism, he's a beast! Since Alex has Drama (to be stolen) I set research on DR. Alex re-enters WFYABTA.

Set espionage to 0% to save up gold for mace-upgrades.

4 (170)
CdG and Monty both offer us Music + 60g for philo. I trade with CdG as he's not as advanced as monty. HC has lib due in 4.

5 (171)
CdG demands 140g. Declined. Uruk finishes NE and spawns a GSpy, build SY. Moai city finishes HE (helped with some chops). Alex proves that the world is round and aquires guilds. And makes peace with Darius.

DOW Asoka, kill 2 units on our border.

IBT lose 1 vult to a chariot. Water supply of capital poisoned.

6 (172)
Get reminder to cancel deals with Darius. We have gems for corn and 4gpt for dyes, see no reason to cancel either.

IBT Asoka's chariot dies trying to capture Barb City :eek: Didn't see it, that would've been embarassing...

7 (173)
Steal guilds off Alex so we can (maybe) trade for Engineering with darius next turn (he's 3t away from it and we only have music on him).

8 (174)
HC takes astro off lib. Revolt delhi, all 3 maces kill all 3 lbows, perfect :) 2 vults win their battles, one dies. GG spawned -> MI at moai/HE. Asoka has 3 defenders in delhi left, injured axe, spear, chariot. He's already willing to talk, pathetic :p

Can't get a decent deal for engineering so I steal Drama from alex, maybe next turn... Lose the spy in the succesful theft though.

Steal Archery from Asoka (EPs and a spy in delhi to spare) and Paper from Darius. Then start my beloved map-selling :D Our map + 10g for Darius' map, our map for Alex' 30g, our map for HC's 155g, our map for monty's 30g, our map for CdG's + 75g. This extends our map so we get another 15g from monty, 15g from alex and 30g from Darius. +340g for us :) We also have a pretty good view of the map so I disband our scouting WB.

9 (175)
Think the last turn was eventful? Think again :p

Firstly, things go rather south...

Spoiler :

Good ol' dogpile :lol:

Since Alex made peace with Darius, he entered WHEOOH. He declares on us this turn. Also, to not feel lonely, he asks CdG to join the fun...

But now it's my turn :hammer:

Delhi falls with no losses and comes with an academy.

Considering our 2-front-war I opt to take peace with Asoka (for 2gpt and his map) to fend off Alex. Asoka would've capitulated but I doubt we want that. More map-whoring, 15g each from monty and darius :D

IBT - Monty captures some Persian city. Alex unloads units off a galley near One Off Coast.

10 (176)
Trade Paper + music + drama with darius for engineering. Talk about being ripped off... but we desperately need the mobility.

11 (177)
Moving units, whipping defenders...

12 (178)
Alex still busy bombarding defences...

IBT Alex finally attacks! 5 kills, 3 lost, not too good for us tbh...

13 (179)
Steal gunpowder off Alex. Could've stolen it a few turns ago from Monty but Alex was researching it and it's cheaper to steal off him.

Kill the remaining units around One off coast (3 to be precise).

Gonna stop now. Few notes:

- Next target to steal is Astro from Monty (due in 2). Amassing EPs for that and to see Alex' research again.

- Everyone hates us. Space will be a PITA.

- Units are in 1 off coast, healing. Alex has a mini-stack at triple dye without siege and probably won't attack. There are defenders there, mainly maces from HE-city. I don't think we need many more defenders.

- Let's try and get peace asap. Once the units are healed, send a stack of maces west to capture Alex' jungle cities while leaving his 4 core cities alone (too heavily defended).

- We should try and get Monty to make peace with Darius before he capitulates.

- We desperately need astro to get TRs and resource trades back. I'm giving crabs to monty (we only have one) as we need the :) from silk but those deals should be re-negotiated once we get astro.

- There are quite a few islands... would be perfect for colonies... but I don't see us spending hammers on that when we have more pressing matters at hand. Vasalling Darius, at some point, sounds like a good option to me.

- We have yet to adopt HR. I didn't do it together with buero as it would've been 2t of revolution but we should do it as soon as we get another civic to adopt (merc/free market/free religion).

- Our worker situation... meh. Please don't build cottages but farms everywhere. If we want to be competitive we need a hammer-economy, so growth now, workshops/watermills later. There are a few irrigation-chains necessary, like to the west.

- That was a set all to my taste, love it! :hammer:

- Good luck, you'll need it!

Attachments

• Espionage Economy AD-1190.CivBeyondSwordSave
    267.5 KB · Views: 197
Looks like we quite forgot about castles... do you think it's worth it to build them now considering that they obsolete with eco?

Not sure, will economics do us any good? I personally think Merc might be better than FM at the moment (until Corps at least) so perhaps it may be worth building them? :)

Well eco is a prereq for corp... Until we get walls + castles built we won't be far away from eco I think, whether we prioritize it or not. Better just stick to building wealth.

Fair enough. Plan coming tonight. :) No work tomorrow so I shall not sleep until I get this plan done :)

Finish DR
Build longbows in nearby cities to Alex as well as coastal cities on the western coast.
Prevent any cities from being taken
Build a castle in capital perhaps? Pro means cheap castles after all :)
Make peace for free or not costing us at least
Try to somehow stop Monty's war with Darius.
Farm everything else. :)

Anything else I'm missing? Very complex game right now!

Build longbows in nearby cities to Alex as well as coastal cities on the western coast.
That's not necessary. We need more spies though. Keep Moai/HE on Mace duty.

Prevent any cities from being taken
Sure. Try to send 5-6 maces west to capture those cities. Should be doable.

Build a castle in capital perhaps? Pro means cheap castles after all
Sounds good.

Once we get peace with alex, we could finally finish off asoka. There are quite a few nice island cities, those could be used for a colony. But we need ships in that area. Stealing astro would be fantastic.

On mid-term plan: I was thinking, HC is running away with techs. Properly running away, that is. However, he has quite lower power than us and only 5 cities (!!). Looks like 4 of those 5 cities are coastal as well! I think it's a great time to strike. Even with just maces, if we can get to him before he gets rifles. But firstly, we really need astro, then we need to scout his land to see if it's actually doable.

Okay sure. Seems good.

Which cities to capture? :)

Re HC, yeah, I think we could do that. 5 cities coastal and if we attack them all at once, hopefully no need to fight an SoD!

Oops, I got a bit wasted after posting that and knocked out completely in the middle of the game :lol:

T0: Whip LB's in all nearby cities. Galley dumps spies in Pharsalos.
T1: Set EP to 30%. Send SoD with healer to Mycanea. 6 turns or so away. Recruiting new maces to there as well.
T2: Same same really.
T3: Pausing SoD in Triple Dye to heal and increase our stack power to prevent attack. Huayana is a vassal of Monty now. That sucks. Monty has Astro as well which we want to steal.
T4: Monty asks us to declare on Persia. Refused. He had 1 turn of Phil left. Gifted it to him.
T5: Whip a theatre in Delhi, OF into Zig. His stack has been destroyed now! :)
T6: Whip Zig in Delhi. Whip Forge in Conf Shrine. Stack heading for Mycanae.
T7: Galley destroyed a french caravel. EP slider to 50% Alex is due Astro in 11 turns. We are the worst enemies of Huayana, CdG and Alex :lol: 3gold for dye to Asoka. Sold him Theology for 50 gold.

Food for thought:
Our (my) diplo is horrible :lol: We are the worst enemies of 3 AI, have one annoyed and the other two cautious.
We are close to taking the two cities we want.
Most cities are building wealth. Huayana and Monty are a dangerous combination at the moment. We need to sort them out sooner rather than later.
A rifles break out will be a big gamble because it is risky and the window of opportunity is even smaller than it otherwise is. Inca are really flying away! Already researching Corps?!?! :lol: Madness aha
I think we should take our two cities and make peace. Charles is willing to take peace but wanted gold for it, so I said no. I was asked to join war, but I refused that as well from both Huayana and Persia in the same turn :lol:

Attachments

• Espionage Economy AD-1270.CivBeyondSwordSave
    285.2 KB · Views: 245
Take both peace offers now. 40g is nothing to pay. I don't want Alex' junk cities, I would've captured them in order to get a proper peace deal. Now we have the deal, we can stop that war. Take peace with Alex first, that may lower CdG's price further.

We've been 3 AI's WE for a while now. Funny enough, we aren't Asoka's :lol: HC capitulating changes everything, that's very bad. Not sure what we can do. We desperately need more (proper) land to survive with so many enemies. I guess we can start by taking out Asoka but that won't really suffice.

We can also steal Banking off Alex. Go 100% EP on Monty, he's due Nationalism in 2. That is priority number 1, switch to nationhood asap.

Some notes on MM: After growth, Uruk should work a priest. We didn't put NE there for nothing. Gold Pigs needs farms. Moai can work more coastal tiles to grow some more. We don't need more maces desperately now. Conf shrine isn't done building basic infra.

Do you plan on continuing? You played a very short set again.

Yes I do plan on continuing. Just wanted to post a mini update since it may need a change in the thought process. :)

Nothing eventful. I forgot to write down what happened in the first few turns. But seriously nothing at all happened. Set EP to 90% still on Monty. Going to steal Astro from him.

1320 AD: Traded Nationalism for Banking and a couple of gold.
1330AD: Same nothing really.
Same really.
1350AD: Our spies can now steal Military Tradition from Monty. Pigs for 4 gold with French. Corn for 4 gold with Persia. Corn for 7 gold with Inca.

Stopping now because we can now steal MT or Astro from Monty. Following this, we can do a Cuir break out and easily finish off Alex and Asoka. We could probably even nab a couple of cities from Monty as well. Perhaps take his main cities off him? His main stack is currently near Persian borders (who are now his vassal btw).

Another option is that we could steal Astro and colonise the islands with the barb city and create a colony as well or we could do both. :)

Attachments

• Espionage Economy AD-1350.CivBeyondSwordSave
    296.2 KB · Views: 212
Looks good. I assume you settled the GP that was due in 4 after your stop? Building cuirassiers doesn't make much sense, give that we have many maces and even more :eek: lbows.

Our dilemma is who to target next. We really should take on Monty BUT we won't get rifling anywhere other than him so we won't have a tech advantage. There are 2 ways to win wars - tech advantage or numbers. You know which one is preferrable. And I don't think outnumbering Monty's army is doable. So that leaves us with the 2 A-AIs, Asoka and Alex (since we can't really get to CdG). Asoka is so weak that we probably should take him out now, and get some experienced CR maces. We should wait until rifles to attack Alex to limit losses.

Asoka is a pushover because, after losing bombay, his 3 remaining core cities are without metals - his iron down at varanasi isn't connected to them thanks to the barb city (and the fact that he doesn't know astro). But we still need ships, preferrably galleons.

Monty will attack someone, at some point. He could be bribed vs CdG but that wouldn't really help us because he gets his techs via his vassals and he'd only get stronger. We just need to hold on once he comes after us. A DP with him would be fantastic but I don't see how we'd get the diplo for that...

Whaddya think?

Oops, that was the thing I forgot. Yeah, I settled the GSpy.

We need numbers really to be able to match Monty since a tech advantage looks difficult and I don't think we have the ability to beat him in numbers yet. Perhaps a wait until Nukes for Monty MIGHT be required but that may be leaving it too late!

One possibility is we could negotiate a trade embargo on Monty with CgD sooner rather than later so that his stack has no way to get to either Huayana's land or his homeland. We could probably destroy Huayana completely in 3 turns. Taking Huayana means that we will have the AP (Hinduism). The AP religion has stuck inside Huayana's borders and only one non Incan city has it so we can create a lot of trouble with that. :)

Top Bottom