Blacks and Whites see race relations differently

Ecofarm

Toronto is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world.. The entire country is incredibly multi-cultural... and yet, on average, we don't have nearly as much racial problems as you guys do. That's all I'm saying.

Brown people? Blacks? Who's racist here?

Ecofarm

Brown people? Blacks? Who's racist here?

Oh, I'm not allowed to use those words? Is that how Canada fights racism? Anyone who uses those words is a racist? Pathetic.

Percentage of Canada that is black: 2.5%

Percentage of the US: 12.8%

Just cause you like French people does not make you the multi-cultural centre of the world.

Depends on where you are. I'm sure some places in the US are better than some places in Canada.

Considering the racism I've seen in high latitudes (where few black people are), I'm not thinking old Canadians are any better than old Swedes.

I'm not buying it. Go sell the patriotism elsewhere.

Does Canada even have a major city that is a majority brown people? NO. I'm not buying for one second that Canadians are a different breed of people who have less racism than the rest of the world. It just has very few blacks, thus no pressure on native culture or jobs and, thus, no animosity.

How about if we compare the number of black politicians to determine who is less racist? Then your .0000001% black population works against you, doesn't it?

But hey, keep thinking your country is so much better than everyone else. Whatever makes you feel good.

So can you name me one state that the official language is something other then English or how about a official bilingual state (Canada has both even though we are supposed to be full bilingual) or how about state run mainly by natives (Another thing Canada has). Also some native tribes are by law have to send a representative to the provincial and/or federal governments(depends on the tribe).

Yeah you got us on the whole we don't have a city that is majority black but that because are cities are either very diversity or majority European

Stupid internet never likes working on this site. Delete please.

how about a official bilingual state (Canada has both even though we are supposed to be full bilingual)
Florida. I'm not sure about the officiality (people fight over it all the time), but every single ATM in Miami-Dade and Broward county is in English AND Spanish. We have many spanish TV stations and all government functions can be preformed in spanish or english.
or how about state run mainly by natives (Another thing Canada has). Also some native tribes are by law have to send a representative to the provincial and/or federal governments(depends on the tribe).
Tribes have reservations that are subject only to federal law and act as entities separate from the state, paying no state taxes, etc. They are also exempt from state law and thus can have gambling, etc. They have stong lobbyists in DC.
Yeah you got us on the whole we don't have a city that is majority black but that because are cities are either very diversity or majority European
No, sorry. Your non-white population is near 0. Different shades of French does not multi-culturalism make.

Does Canada even have a major city that is a majority brown people? NO.

Does the United States have more than 1?

Toronto, our largest city, is 42% visible minorities. The largest group among them is South Asians. They basically replace Blacks as the 'Big Minority Group' up here.

But perhaps Toronto isn't representative of the whole country. Vancouver has a similar proportion however, about 38% Asian population alone. A large number of those are 1st/2nd generation immigrants as well, unlike the naturalized black population in the United States. The simple fact is that excepting microstates and countries with regional refugee crises, Canada has the largest rate of immigration in the entire world.

All without mentioning the whole Bilingualism thing, which despite having it's issues in Western Canada, is something the US can't even come close to. So don't tell me Canada is just another white-bread one culture nation.

EDIT:

No, sorry. Your non-white population is near 0. Different shades of French does not multi-culturalism make.

Non-white population in Canada: 19.1% Compared to ~26% in the United States. Near zero my ass. Next time, please try to think before you open your mouth.

Non-white population in Canada: 19.1% Compared to ~26% in the United States. Near zero my ass. Next time, please try to think before you open your mouth.

I think plenty. Next time, try not being a troll before you open your mouth.

According to Statistics Canada for the first time Canada’s non white population has surpassed the 5 million mark. There is a facade that exists in Canada that has become a tainted mythology to the rest of the world that Canada is all about multiculturalism. Multiculturalism [in Canada] is not only perfidious it is an illusion that needs to die.

Canada is all smokes and mirrors the nation is about assimilation and exclusion not about dealing with race issues in an honest format or manner. Institutionalized racism is a very much entrenched, legislated, and mandated in Canada. For instance, many people from other countries that are engineers, doctors, teachers can’t receive accreditation in Canada because their education doesn’t meet “Canadian standards”. Another racist term utilized by human resources people in Canada is acquiring “Canadian experience”. It is just another way for the Mythical Norm to lock out people of colour from high skilled job positions and force these people into low skilled labor jobs. The Canadian government claims to be “trying” to find a solution. It is a broken record but it is a way in which supremacy is legislated and enforced.

The Aboriginal Canadians are treated very harshly and unfairly in Canada. Every single year there are land disputes and the racial tension between the Aboriginal Canadians and white Canadians. The discrimination against the First Nations people in Canada is a very serious issue. In fact, last summer in Ontario there was a land claim dispute between an Aboriginal community and white Canadians. The federal government chose to stay out of the quandary making the province of Ontario deal with the racial tension.

Unlike the United States Canadians ignore race or at least pretend that race doesn’t exist. In America, the Americans are cognizant of race and don’t try to ignore race. In Canada, there is this pretentious attitude that Canada is somehow less racist then United States. I believe Canadian racism is even more dangerous because of the hypocrisy to bigotry. In Canada the racism is institutionalized and entrenched in the frameworks of the society and culture.

If you visit the Canadian books stores and want to read about black Canadian culture you will find the following writers Dionne Brand, Austin Clarke, Nalo Hopkinson, Makeda Silvera, Lawrence Hill, George Elliott Clarke and that’s about it.

If you turned on the Canadian television you would swear Canada is still a white nation. If you have cable or a satellite dish watch the CBC, CTV, or Global television you will see countless stories about curling, hockey, the “traditional” Canadian culture. You won’t hear much about black Canadians unless it is black history month. Asian Canadians are hardly discussed much in Canada either.

The 2006 Canadian Census states that there are 5,068,100 visible minorities in Canada that account for 16% per cent of the total population. 96% of people of colour in Canada live in metropolitan areas specifically two cities Toronto and Vancouver. South Asians are the largest “visible minority” group in Canada making up 4% of the Canadian population or 1.4 million people, Chinese Canadians are second largest visible minority group in Canada at 1.2 million. I have a problem with the word “visible minority” I think its another form of “othering”. Black lesbian feminist wrote about “othering” in the controversial 1994 classic book “Bread Out Of Stone”. Are people of colour really a part of the Canadian fabric? I wonder?

After South Asians and Chinese Canadians the next largest visible minority groups are blacks, Filipino, Latin American, Arab, Southeast Asian, West Asian, Korean and Japanese Canadians. I am surprised that the black Canadian population is the third largest non white group in Canada. According to the 2006 Canadian census 783,000 blacks live in Canada the vast majority have African or Caribbean heritage.

My complaint is why are all black Canadians lumped together into just one group. There is a richness to the African Diaspora. The “black Canadian” community is not a monolithic group there are Jamaicans, Haitians, Nigerians, people from the Caribbean, South America, Latin America, Kenyans, Southern Africans, East Africans. The Canadian census discriminates against the black Canadian communities because they generalize us. Its an example of supremacy. I think this is an important issue to explore. The East and South Asians are placed into different categories yet people of African descent we are treated as a monolithic group I have a problem with this.

On the Canadian census all it says is “black”. Does Statistics Canada not know there are black Canadians that live in the province of Nova Scotia? There are Africans from Africa, there are black Caribbean people, black people from South America as well. There is multiplicity in the African Canadian community.

It is true Canada’s non white population is growing and I believe this is a very positive thing. Far too often, when people think of Canada they immediately think white. However, the census didn’t explore issues such as the Canadian power structure. The city of Toronto has more visible minorities then white people. So why is the mayor of Toronto always the Mythical Norm? We don’t even question it? Why is the Police Chief in Toronto always the white heterosexual male? Why is the demographic of Canadian newspapers still so white? Why is the news anchors mostly white? Why is CBC still a white out? I don’t listen to CBC radio I tune into NPR because I know black people won’t be treated as an afterthought or a sideshow. I listen to Michel Martin’s program “Tell Me More”. At least in America NPR Radio gets it.

Although the province of Alberta has a bad reputation of being a racist redneck province Alberta has been attempting to attract more people of colour to the province. Alberta is actually a very rich western province with the oil surplus, higher employment opportunities. The problem I have with Alberta is the weather the place is simply too cold. Also the redneck reputation is still entrenched in Alberta it is the headquarters of the Conservative Party of Canada. The 2006 Canadian census proves the people of colour population in Canada is growing. However, the real issue now is how can non white Canadians exert our influence more in Canadian society. I feel the real social and political change needs to take place.
http://orvillelloyddouglas.wordpres...-5-million-people-and-16-of-total-population/

I agree with that guy, not random nationalist Canadians.

uh, I'm inclined to agree with Canadians here not random-ass opinionated bloggers

uh, I'm inclined to agree with Canadians here not random-ass opinionated bloggers

Keep getting your info from random CFCers. :goodjob:

Have I told you about how amazingly awesome George Bush is? As an american, you should take my opinion as fact.

And it is not some random blogger:

Orville Lloyd Douglas (born September 26, 1976) is a Canadian poet and writer. His work concentrates on class, creative non fiction,gender, pop culture, politics, race, and sexuality...

Orville Lloyd Douglas was born in Toronto, Ontario Canada to Jamaican-Canadian parents. He graduated from York University with a B.A. degree in history in June 2004.

He has contributed to several Canadian and international publications, including Word Magazine, The New Zealand Herald, Georgia Straight, The Toronto Star, Xtra!, NOW and The Philadelphia Inquirer...

Douglas' poetry has been featured in the Wilderness House Literary Review, SNR Review, The Vermillion Literary Project,Pedestal Magazine, and Seminal (2007), the first anthology of gay male Canadian poetry...

Bibliography

You Don't Know Me (2005)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville_Lloyd_Douglas

Random nationalists on CFC are eminently more qualified to assess the situation, I'm sure.

Florida. I'm not sure about the officiality (people fight over it all the time), but every single ATM in Miami-Dade and Broward county is in English AND Spanish. We have many spanish TV stations and all government functions can be preformed in spanish or english.

Am sorry but your wrong, only state that is officially bilingual in America is Hawaii every other state is de facto with others having secondly de facto (example Florida).

Tribes have reservations that are subject only to federal law and act as entities separate from the state, paying no state taxes, etc.
Yeah we got that too but am talking about a whole state not pieces of them.

Chinese 1,094,700
North American Indian 1,000,890
East Indian 713,330
Filipino 327,550
Métis 307,845
Spanish 213,105
Jamaican 211,720
Vietnamese 151,410

This is an incomplete list of the non-white population of Canada.

Keep getting your info from random CFCers. :goodjob:

Have I told you about how amazingly awesome George Bush is? As an american, you should take my opinion as fact.

right, I probably should have mentioned that as people who actually have lived in canada, there's some value to what they've posted. your random-ass blogger is just that, a random-ass blogger. he shouldn't be getting credence points from you just because he's not a part of CFC.

Am sorry but your wrong, only state that is officially bilingual in America is Hawaii every other state is de facto with others having secondly de facto (example Florida).

How am I wrong? I said I was unsure of the officiality. The bi-lingualism of South Florida is beyond doubt, as are the government services being bilingual and all other services. There are parts of Miami that you have to speak spanish.

If you want to argue more, argue with Orville. He's way more qualified. I'm taking his word on it. Deal with it.

Those are the numbers from Stats Canada. I tend to agree with the Census takers rather than jsut about anybody. ;)

You still think he is "just anybody"? Try looking a few posts up. And his number are from 2006 census, that's why they are different. It doesn't change his point - the multiculturalism of Canada is an illusion.

How am I wrong? I said I was unsure of the officiality. The bi-lingualism of South Florida is beyond doubt, as are the government services being bilingual and all other services. There are parts of Miami that you have to speak spanish.

If you want to argue more, argue with Orville. He's way more qualified. I'm taking his word on it. Deal with it.

De facto isn't official learn the difference.

You still think he is "just anybody"? Try looking a few posts up. And his number are from 2006 census, that's why they are different. It doesn't change his point - the multiculturalism of Canada is an illusion.
Yeah 5 million (and growing) out 30 million (white population not growing) isn't a lot people

De facto isn't official learn the difference.

I said it was de-facto but I was unsure about the officiality. Can you read? I never said it was official in Florida. Stop pretending I did.

I said it was de-facto but I was unsure about the officiality. Can you read? I never said it was official in Florida. Stop pretending I did.

Then why try using it when the question was official language maybe next time look it up (hint America for the most part has no official language just de factos) also you never said it was de facto you said you were unsure of it being official

okay, so 90% of the nonwhites are concentrated in one metropolitan area. and from what I hear, that's a damn superb example of multiculturism. but you can't speak for the 10% sprinkled in other areas; you have no clue how their culture is expressed with regards to that of the whites'.

Oh, and multiculturism absolutely has to do with different shades of white.

Just cause you like French people does not make you the multi-cultural centre of the world.
This would be a great sig!:lol:

Top Bottom