BNW Leaders Spreadsheet

Alright here's the breakdown of the new leaders for (1) their strengths and (2) weaknesses:

Important to note: Strengths = high numbers and Weaknesses = low numbers. Does not always necessarily indicate a strength or weakness.

Ahmad Al-Mansur

Spoiler :
Strengths

Friendly (8), Defense (7), Mobile (7), Tile Improvement (7), Culture (7), Espionage (8)

Weaknesses

Recon (3)

As expected, a friendly, defensive civ who will have a tendency to work those kasbahs and culture. Interestingly enough, he is big on sending out the spies late game.

Ashurbanipal

Spoiler :
Strengths

War (8), Conquest (7), Offense (7), Military Training (8), Science (7), Spaceship (7), Use Nuke (7)

Weaknesses

City-State Competitiveness (3), Chattiness (3), Afraid (3), Protective (3), Defense (3)

A very aggressive war civ with a powerful military and a strong science program. As you would expect given his Uniques.

Casimir

Spoiler :
Strengths

Warmonger Hate (7), Loyalty (7), Guarded (7), Friendly (7), Protective (7), Offense (7), City Defense (7), Military Training (8), Recon (7), Mobile (8), Expansion (7), Production (8), Gold (7), Religion (7), Anti-Air (7)

Weaknesses

Deceptive (3), Ignore (3), Ranged (3), Naval Recon (3), Naval Growth (3)

Casimir is just as much of an all-around civ in his AI traits as he is with his UA Solidarity. He can be friendly and loyal, but easy to turn the other way with his warmonger hate and guarded traits. Will pursue the religious game.

Enrico Dandolo

Spoiler :
Strengths

City-State Competitiveness (7), Friendship Willingness (7), Chattiness (7), Deceptive (7), Friendly (7), City Defense (8), Naval (7), Gold (8), Great People (7), Religion (7), Diplomacy (7), Espionage (7)

Weaknesses

Wonder Competitiveness (3), Boldness (3), Loyalty (3), Meanness (3), War (3), Ignore (3), Conquest (3), Bully (3), Offense (3), Expansion (3)

Enrico's traits look like they will actually help him as an AI quite powerfully - at least on paper. Though deceptive like Dido, he is fairly reserved in terms of war and aggressiveness. Strengths of City Defense, Naval, and Gold all synergize incredibly well for his Uniques. Low wonder output means he won't be wasting his time in the one precious city he starts with.

Gajah Mada

Spoiler :
Strengths

Naval (7), Naval Growth (7), Naval Tile Improvement (7), Expansion (8), Religion (7), Water Connection (7)

Weaknesses

Afraid (3), Conquest (3), Infrastructure (3)

Gajah Mada's one saving grace for being a pushover on land-heavy maps is the expansion tendency. On water maps, he will be formidable (which is why it's strange that they didn't choose a naval UU for a seafaring nation. Pangaea games with Gajah Mada are essentially Kris Swordsman games.) He will never be afraid. And expect a lackluster infrastructure similar to that of Boudicca or Kamehameha.

Maria

Spoiler :
Strengths

Denounce Willingness (7), Friendship Willingness (7), Chattiness (7), Friendly (8), Protective (7), Naval (7), Naval Recon (8), Expansion (7), Gold (7)

Weaknesses

Ignore (3)

Her first three categories in strengths indicate she will be a royal b****. But other than that, not as annoying as the other warmongerers of BNW. Strong navy and ability to rake in ludicrous amounts of gold provided the AI knows how to work with its Uniques.

Pedro

Spoiler :
Strengths

Friendship Willingess (7), Loyalty (7), Friendly (8), Growth (7), Tile Improvement (7), Culture (7), Happiness (8)

Weaknesses

Conquest (3), Bully (3), Military Training (3)

The Mr. Nice Guy of the expansion. Great for civs like Morocco and Indonesia who rely on a consistent trading partner. The most dangerous culture and tourism player of the new civs in the game.

Pocatello

Spoiler :
Strengths

Defense (8), City-Defense (8), Recon (8), Mobile (7), Expansion (8), Growth (8)

Weaknesses

Naval (3), Naval Recon (3), Naval Growth (3), Naval Tile Improvement (3)

Oh boy, if you were annoyed by Hiawatha then Pocatello will be even worse. Expands and has extra tiles as he does it. Strong defense traits and extra UA defense. Just don't invite him to your pool party.

Shaka

Spoiler :
Strengths

Victory Competitiveness (8), Boldness (8), Denounce Willingess (8), Loyalty (8), Meaness (8), War (8), Bully (8), Offense (8), Military Training (7), Recon (7), Expansion (11), Production (8), Happiness (7), Nuke (8), Use Nuke (8)

Weaknesses

Deceptive (2), Afraid (2), Friendly (2), Ignore (2), Protective (3), Ranged (3), Mobile (3), Naval (3), Naval Recon (3), Naval Growth (3), Growth (3), Science (3), Culture (3), Great People (3), Wonder (3), Religion (3), Spaceship (3)

All you need to know about Shaka: Expansion 11, War 8, and Victory Competitiveness 8. The epitome of Civ evil

Well, Shaka may look to be the ultimate annoyance in any game, but at least with a Deceptive score of 2 he's going to be honest about it. :lol:

What exactly happens when two warmonger civs are the only ones left and one of them is Shaska.

As mentioned above Shaska can be your world conquest buddy. But after you both wipe out the rest of the world, how will his loyalty affect him? Presumbly he will backstab to get the conquest victory but will his high loyatly delay how long it takes for him to backstab? How does this mechanic work?

What exactly happens when two warmonger civs are the only ones left and one of them is Shaska.

As mentioned above Shaska can be your world conquest buddy. But after you both wipe out the rest of the world, how will his loyalty affect him? Presumbly he will backstab to get the conquest victory but will his high loyatly delay how long it takes for him to backstab? How does this mechanic work?

I think its just a probability thing. The game will check every once in a while, "Will Shaka backstab his friend?" and use an RNG. I also remember that these values can randomize up to 2 places each game so an 8 may be a as low as 6 or as high as 10.

Ahmad Al-Mansur: As expected, a friendly, defensive civ who will have a tendency to work those kasbahs and culture. Interestingly enough, he is big on sending out the spies late game.

A subtle reference to Casablanca. I like this.

I'm not crazy about the caricature that Shaka has become, considering the real world Zulu's fate. Nonetheless, the others seem to be well applied and I cannot wait to test them out!

Shaka has an 11 in expansion! No wonder he was settling literally everywhere in my last game. If he can't conquer it he will settle it.

Which values should I change in XML to get ALL leaders be much more aggressive and willing to declare war far more often? Should it be victory competitiveness or war civ bias or both or else?

Yes war but there are also many others that would indirectly do it as well. Check this out for more info: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=409062 You could also adjust the leaders flavors.

If you want the AI to more likely declare war on you, that can be done by modifying the handicaps entry "AIDeclareWarProb"

If you want a much simpler method, then just handpick your leaders before the start of the game to include a few of the big conquest leaders like Attilla.

Thank you! It really worked.

I changed:
- AIdeclarwarprob from 100 to 200
- every leader victory/wonder/minorcivs competitiveness +4 points
- every leader war/hostile attitude +4 points
- every leader offensive/defensive/ranged/mobile units +4 points
- every leader settlers units + 16 points
- every leader meaness and boldness +4 points

The AI is now very expansionist and VERY aggressive, is building bigger army and declaring wars for any minor reason while there are still rare friendships but actually there are wars all over the globe all the time and the AI is much more courageous at declaring war to human!

Thank you! It really worked.

I changed:
- AIdeclarwarprob from 100 to 200
- every leader victory/wonder/minorcivs competitiveness +4 points
- every leader war/hostile attitude +4 points
- every leader offensive/defensive/ranged/mobile units +4 points
- every leader settlers units + 16 points
- every leader meaness and boldness +4 points

The AI is now very expansionist and VERY aggressive, is building bigger army and declaring wars for any minor reason while there are still rare friendships but actually there are wars all over the globe all the time and the AI is much more courageous at declaring war to human!

Could you please upload those XML's as well as the direction on where to put them? Or at least tell me how those XML's are named and in which directory they're likely to be.

EDIT - found it

Unfortunately you have to edit ALL leaders xml files, including in the Civ5 main Assets folder as well as in the DLC and DLC/Expansion and DLC/Expansion2 and all other DLC-like folder where you can occasionally find leaders xml. This it for to be sure all the leaders from all expansions and DLCs are covered.

It is possible to write a mod that does what Camillo has found. I could explain how if there was enough interest.
If you have any other ideas to make AI even more aggressive and first of all - more courageous at declaring war (even if player's military is bigger then AI's military) - post it here please.

Yes more war please. It's so boring to only have 1 war declared on me on average per two games.
I'm no good at editing game files :/

Also, Alex City state competitiveness is only 3? That can't be right, usually he gobbles up half the city states until I'm rich enough

It would be most appreciated.

Here you go Enrico and Quineloe. I confirmed that the mod works. The values are exactly as Camillo posted them here.
The way I wrote the mod, it doesn't matter what version of the game you are running.
You could use this mod as a template for making other easy changes to personality (much easier than editing the XML).

Camillo's values don't guarantee war but encourage it. So for example if a leader has +3 hostility, with this mod it could be +3 + 4 -2 = 5 which is only an increase of two. On the other hand it might be +3 + 4 + 2 = 9 which is quite high. The last value of +/-2 is a random value assigned by the game but there is a mod on Steam that eliminates that random amount if you want exact leader personality predictability.

I'll play around with this mod myself and upload if I think there are any real improvements to be made. Please bump this thread if you like the mod because there was a couple of hours of work in it on my end at least.

Attachments

• More War (v 1).zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 60
Here you go Enrico and Quineloe. I confirmed that the mod works. The values are exactly as Camillo posted them here.
The way I wrote the mod, it doesn't matter what version of the game you are running.
You could use this mod as a template for making other easy changes to personality (much easier than editing the XML).

Camillo's values don't guarantee war but encourage it. So for example if a leader has +3 hostility, with this mod it could be +3 + 4 -2 = 5 which is only an increase of two. On the other hand it might be +3 + 4 + 2 = 9 which is quite high. The last value of +/-2 is a random value assigned by the game but there is a mod on Steam that eliminates that random amount if you want exact leader personality predictability.

I'll play around with this mod myself and upload if I think there are any real improvements to be made. Please bump this thread if you like the mod because there was a couple of hours of work in it on my end at least.

THANKS! It works! Wonderfully done.

Gandhi and Washington both punished the fact I had only two military units and declared war around turn 70. Gandhi was too far away to actually send anything my way (he did send insults though, from the very first turn after our meeting), but Washington really weakened my economy. I would've easily gotten Hanging Gardens on Emperor if not his army of worthless warriors and archers pillaging my stuff.

This is how I did this:

Go to My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/ and create a directory there. Put the files in it. Open the game. Load the mod. Done.

Top Bottom