[BNW] Optimizing Diplomatic Victory

Kung-Fu Kitty

Chieftain
Playing a quick, small-size, Sweden game on prince and going for the Diplomatic Victory. I've never directly gone for DipV, just kind of fallen into it. I got the forbidden palace and am the host of the world congress. Just wondering what steps I should take to finish this quickly.

I take it I should take the top of the tech tree to the info age and then immediately bulb to globalization to get the diplomat bonus (should have 5 diplomats in the 5 other civs) before the first vote.

I think with Sweden, I should be able to buy, GP gift (I'm holding my Musicians for this) all the CSs not already allied.

I should be able to push through a global ideology once I pick mine (Freedom, right?). Not sure about global religion, though. Everyone's been pretty friendly, which is giving me a nice GP bonus, so I'm not sure that's worth it. On the flip-side, no wars yet, so no one to liberate.

I left the Patronage tree with two to go to get half through the Rationalism tree. Should I finish that sooner than later? (I finished Tradition.)

Anything I'm forgetting?

There is no point to finish Patronage, since the gifted GP in the finisher increases your counter. You shouldn't have any trouble allying CS in the first place as Sweden. I would've gone Order for the quicker science bonus and the additional 3 GP at the end. Depending on the game you might not even need to finish rationalism for the additional faith buy GS. Usually the tricky part of fast DipV is to get into information era quick enough to avoid another round of voting.

What I like to do is to save Oxford and/or Ratio finisher to speed into Info era, either top half of the tree or straight through Satellites. Depending on what kind of game you get, you may or may not need Globalization to have enough votes for the win. I *think* World Religion, World Ideology and Forbidden Palace guarantee your not needing Globalization

So Host/Leader votes alternate with Resolution votes, right? If I triggered a host vote with Atomic age and there is a resolution vote 7 turns away (i'll pass world ideology here), I have those turns to bulb to Info age and get my CSs in line? Will the Leader vote immediately follow that if I've moved into Info age?

I need 35 votes.

5 info age?/2 FP/2 Host/2 World Id (11) + 24 CS + 5 diplomats = 40

That sounds about right, if you trigger info era before the current vote, it will change to a world leader vote and you will have 10 turns to set everything up.

Also, if half rounded down the remaining civs you included are in Atomic, same happens and you don't need to rush info era. That however isn't really common and I've seen Deity games where the WL vote doesn't trigger before turn 300-ish on standard speed (I purposely ignored science that game)

Just don't make the mistake of waiting until the end of the game to ally the CS. I'd say that if it's T150 and you have allied 2/3 - 3/4 of the CS, then you're on course for an early finish.

Yeah that's a given. Don't ally them all at the same time, but two thirds sounds about right

So moving into Info Age did force another host vote before the world leader vote. Just 11 turns to twiddle my thumbs and boost my score. It was only 4 default votes at that age, so I had 39 votes in the end. Sweden's GP production is crazy, especially if everyone wants to be your friend.

Top Bottom