Bonaparte II Tournament Game #2 PBEM

Yep, I just did a few playtests and it looks like those howitzers had 40% or so odds of success.

John this isn't reloading and no different then you having an advantage as the designer because you have played this one more than us.

Theres nothing to stop me from playing an SP as anyone and staging an attack and getting a feel for how difficult it will be.

Darius knows how I feel about reloading and he feels the same way. I just dont think he would do it.

But simulating in SP is not something you can either stop or regulate against.

I did it to some extent in colonies to see what units would do what against other units.

It just gives you a "feel" for the game.

Whoa whoa, nobody even mentioned the word reloading! I did a playtest in a May 1803 SP game since I'm still not too familiar with all the unit balances; I don't see what's so confusing. Case does the same thing IIRC.

Fair enough. SP simulation is fine, as long as it is not based on the PBEM savegame in question. If it were to be, it would make the attacker's job hugely easier, as the strength of an enemy could be accurately gauged before committing to a "real" attack.

If the scenario is started up from scratch, a few Howitzers "cheat-created" and flung against Lisbon's defences to try them out and see how well howitzers performed, than that is absolutely OK. and something I do all the time as a designer, as you say.

Originally posted by Darius
Case does the same thing IIRC.

Yep - it's called wargaming. I load the scenario up, go into cheat mode, and add my units as they are in the game and my guesstimate of what the other guy has and see how things pan out.

As I can't tell what the other guy actually has, I always take the results of the combat with a very large pinch of salt. However, the method is really useful for alerting me to the ability of my army to move around and any defencive terrain that could cause problems and/or be very useful.

I generally don't do that, terrain and such can be gained from the actual PBEM game, however at this point i generally know the capabilities of my men and I strike by pure hopes and dreams. SOmetime though I don't even know my army, I started a couple of PBEMs with hardly having played singleplayer or in the case of AWAW without a single turn. However I see nothing wrong with what they did and is in fact just smart gaming unless they test their battles in the PBEM via single player (reloading basically)

Two Swedish merchantmen sunk by a patrolling brig off Alborg.

A frigate-to-frigate encounter in the same general area was won by a French frigate.

Spanish Bomb Ketch sunk off Lisbon. Spanish Infantry routed outside Corunna.

-Satu Mare liberated, destroying the Dragoon in the city and infantry west of the city.

-Arad burned to the ground. 2 Line infantry and a Horse Artillery destroyed.

-Attack on Livorno, destroying a Two Decker at port, 2 line infantry and 1 Foot artillery.

-Attack on Naples, destroying a Spanish Musketeer.

The Russian Juggernaut grinds to a halt this month.

The Russian Czar says if the Austrians want the Pripyat Marshes they can have them!

Adriatic Within Sight of French Troops!

French troops from the Army of the Danube's II and IV corps are tonight camped in the coastal hills outside Fiume. This advance follows a hard-fought victory over the stubbon Austrian defenders of the hill-top road. While a veteran regiment was sent to investigate the defences of Fiume, they were found to be too tough to crack 'on the hop' and heavy artillery is now being brought up to blast the town into submission!

Army of the Danube's Commander Relieved of his Command

Following the fiasco at Arad and Satu Mare, the Emperor has relieved the commander of the Army of the Danube. The Emperor was reported to be beside himself with rage when he learnt that the foolish Marshal had camped a division of infantry in Arad, a city with no non-combantants to support the line infantry.

The Emperor has assumed personal command of the Army of the Danube, and massive reinforcements, including engineers and farmers, are being brought up to continue the advance towards Lodz.

Um, whoops. Sorry. :o

Unsurprisingly, wiped out those grenadiers outside Naples. La Coruna emptied.

Top Bottom