[BTS] Middle Ages Mod

Looks very well done. I am downloading it now.

Im downloading as I type, want to see whats your ideea about the medieval age. I see you made a request about this mod and then you did it yourself, thats how my mod started too ;) (except for the request i was hopeing it would get made :p). Will bring an opinion after I play.

EDIT: as you said it feels its in an early stage of developement, i played some turns with the byzantines they look overpowered from the income point of view 417 max income and 256 expenses in start, plus they got a huge empire . Also the barbarian cities in current romania and moldavia are left unprotected i could take them around the 8th turn and with the huge income i had it was no problem to sustain extra cities. I wasnt in much state of war but being no. 1 i guess keeps me proteced from any war declarations for some turns.

Great mod Ben:goodjob: i have sent you a social group invite and a friendship request if you want to join PM me hope to hear from you soon;).

Just a note that I got it, but been busy finishing my own patches and stuff, will try it out over the week. It's cool to have to minor factions like Hamdanids etc. out there.

Im downloading as I type, want to see whats your ideea about the medieval age. I see you made a request about this mod and then you did it yourself, thats how my mod started too ;) (except for the request i was hopeing it would get made :p). Will bring an opinion after I play.

EDIT: as you said it feels its in an early stage of developement, i played some turns with the byzantines they look overpowered from the income point of view 417 max income and 256 expenses in start, plus they got a huge empire . Also the barbarian cities in current romania and moldavia are left unprotected i could take them around the 8th turn and with the huge income i had it was no problem to sustain extra cities. I wasnt in much state of war but being no. 1 i guess keeps me proteced from any war declarations for some turns.

Ok, I placed some barbarian units in those cities, as well as the barbarian cities in Finland, they were unprotected.

I have to do something about the balancing, but I will look into this at a later stage.

btw: Playing as Denmark is interesting.

Hey. I started a game as The Holy Roman Empire and I am really enjoying the mod so far. I am doing expansion in the south and east and i just jumped on Denmark too, taking all of Jylland. the mod looks good and plays well and it's very much fun.

The Holy Roman empire might be a bit easy to play though, but I've just started out. I bet when I clash with the eastern empires, things will hotten up. Keep this mod going! I love it!

Oh. And some name change suggestions. Gotland should be Visby. Suomi and Finland need to be changed. There were no major cities in Finland at this time, but you could use the names Åbo (actually founded by the Swedish during the Middle Ages), perhaps Raseborg further east from Åbo, or just Karelia or something like that. There was no Oslo during the Middle Ages; the old name is Kristiania, but i bet that was a later name too...

This looks great. Does it work on the mac version of BTS?

It has a DLL, so I doubt it. The DLL is probably related to there being more nations on the map than vanilla civ.

Hey,
At this point it's hard to play normally, due game rules and scenario being out of sync. This is really the first thing you should fix to make it more playable. What I mean is:

- Research is way too fast; you changed to calendar to months, but didn't change research rate it seems; I mean, I play as a weak civ and research 1 tech per year, at this rate by 1030 or so I'll complete the tech tree; I can also research 1 tech faster than building 1 unit... with a big civ, it takes ~4 turns per tech... at this rate, the whole tree can be completed in 1010...
- Improvements build way to fast; same problem as above
- This is true regardless of game speed used

Other stuff I noticed:

- Umayyad Caliphate converts to Catholicism immediately after game starts; to fix this you either have to do some SDK tweaking, or at least move some religions around
- All Polish city names are in German... I saw a few other town names in German so I assume that's just due to it being your language. I'd suggest using native names, or Latin, or English, eventually.
- Supply Trains shouldn't be that much faster than infantry, it's unrealistic; I don't think workers need 4 moves either.
- I feel like the big civs are just not fun due to having to manage 30+ cities and 100+ units from the get go; I know that making the map smaller is not adviseable at this point, but maybe at least reduce the number of starting units and let the player develop more slowly.

Oh. And some name change suggestions. Gotland should be Visby. Suomi and Finland need to be changed. There were no major cities in Finland at this time, but you could use the names Åbo (actually founded by the Swedish during the Middle Ages), perhaps Raseborg further east from Åbo, or just Karelia or something like that. There was no Oslo during the Middle Ages; the old name is Kristiania, but i bet that was a later name too...

Very common mistake Le Sage ;)
Actually, Oslo was founded a bit over 1000 AD, but abondoned during the Danish rule. However, this danish monarch Kristian founded a new city a bit west of the old one with the name Kristiania, mainly due to him being sceptical of using Trondheim as the administrative city of Norway as it was simply too far away from Denmark. And I say as always... Olso, capital? No way! Nidaros (Trondheim) is the right capital of Medieval Norway, and should still be so. Rename it to its old name and move the seat of Government, and then Norway will rise again as a world superpower... or, well, at least as an economic one ;)

I like the concept, perhaps you could also change the tech tree

make it end at the medieval era instead of having it go all the way to future tech

I've worked a little bit on the mod.
New tech tree + civics are in place.

I will let you know when it is worth an upload.

BTW: I've taken in your feedback and will make changes accordingly.

Excellent to hear that you're still working at it. I liked this mod a lot and I'm looking forward to the update!

I have an idea, is there anybody who could tell me whether this is possible or not? (with SDK / python)

To get a victory condition like having certain # of this building and certain # of this building.
And this victory condition being civilization specific.

I could divide my map in regions, by placing in each region the same wonder (example: placing a wonder called: "Provincial Government Britain" in all British & Irish cities and islands)

The victory condition for Denmark could be to hold/capture Denmark, Norway, Britain, Northern France.

The victory condition for Cordoba could be to hold/capture Iberia, Southern France, Maghreb (from Tunisia to Morocco).

The victory condition for Burgundy could be to hold/capture Southern & Northern France and Northern Italy

Some European nations could have the victory condition which includes capturing Sham (Palestine & Syria)

Whilst the Victory conditions for the big players (HRE, Byzantium and the Fatimids) would include much more regions.

Another idea would be if it is possible to include the victory condition of eliminating a specific player.

I know this sounds a bit like Total War. But it would give the game more of a challenge I would say.

Top Bottom