[BTS] Middle Ages Mod

I have an idea, is there anybody who could tell me whether this is possible or not? (with SDK / python)

To get a victory condition like having certain # of this building and certain # of this building.
And this victory condition being civilization specific.

I could divide my map in regions, by placing in each region the same wonder (example: placing a wonder called: "Provincial Government Britain" in all British & Irish cities and islands)

The victory condition for Denmark could be to hold/capture Denmark, Norway, Britain, Northern France.

The victory condition for Cordoba could be to hold/capture Iberia, Southern France, Maghreb (from Tunisia to Morocco).

The victory condition for Burgundy could be to hold/capture Southern & Northern France and Northern Italy

Some European nations could have the victory condition which includes capturing Sham (Palestine & Syria)

Whilst the Victory conditions for the big players (HRE, Byzantium and the Fatimids) would include much more regions.

Another idea would be if it is possible to include the victory condition of eliminating a specific player.

I know this sounds a bit like Total War. But it would give the game more of a challenge I would say.

I think these are excellent ideas and fully doable with Python. In my Fairy Tale mod I have a specific victory condition for a couple of the scenarios where you have to kill a bad guy to win the game. That was done in Python and makes those scenarios very distinct and more intersting.

Specific Victory conditions like the ones you mention will indeed make the game more interesting and more of a challenge. Go for it.

Yes. I did the Python myself, but not without a lot of help from EmperorFool (who is the main creator behind BUG), Phungus, The_J and SaibotLieh. I'm a real loser at Python, but I finally got it to work. It was fun too. ;)

I might speak to emperor fool about that, I need as well some script which makes units which are not buildable because a certain building does not exist in the city invisible in the city screen building tab.

otherwise you end up having a mess like in "imperium romanum" mod.

I will look at the options available when the time is right for it.
Thank you for your input.

btw:
I've decided to get rid of the settlers and filled the map with cities (belonging to civilizations and barbarians).
The only way to expand your civilization is through conquest.
I've gotten rid of the Hamdanids as well and gave Aleppo to the Fatimids and Mosul to the Buyids, through adding Edessa to the Buyid realm I strengthened the Buyids with two important cities.

There have been a lot more changes through city placements.

I have combined the updated map with the new tech tree and the new civics.
I must say I really like it.

But there is one big problem I need to solve:

The larger empires go through the tech tree way to quickly.
I was wondering whether you can give a research malus in a sliding scale in accordance to number of cities.

This might be too complicated.

another approach would be to do it as it has been done in other mods, where you get every 10 turns a new technology.

Obviously, this would make the whole research and libraries universities and so on useless.

Who can help? Any suggestions?

I've used this already for the civics, so that it enables city states to function (with huge bonus in the capital and +3000% number of cities and distance costs)

A -10% :science: in cities on the Civics could help

But how do I determine, that it is only for civilizations with for example 10+ cities?

I think an Idea would be to have -1% :science: per city.

If a civilization has 4 cities it would be -4% :science: per city, if another has 15 cities it would be -15% :science: per city.

or maybe -2% :science: per city.

Do you think that makes sense and brings balance?

I've played a game for around 70 turns now and i get a re-creatable CTD when entering the World Builder.

I have not got BUG in the mod, how can I find out whats the reason for the CTD?

Oh. And some name change suggestions. Gotland should be Visby. Suomi and Finland need to be changed. There were no major cities in Finland at this time, but you could use the names Åbo (actually founded by the Swedish during the Middle Ages), perhaps Raseborg further east from Åbo, or just Karelia or something like that. There was no Oslo during the Middle Ages; the old name is Kristiania, but i bet that was a later name too...

Thank you for your feedback Le Sage, it is really appreciated.
I read on wikipedia about the name of Oslo the following:

Spoiler :
The origin of the name Oslo has been the subject of much debate. While certainly derived from Old Norse, it was in all probability originally the name of a large farm at the site of the first settlements in Bjørvika.

It is commonly held that Oslo means "the mouth of the Lo river", referring to an alternative name of the river Alna, but this is most likely apocryphal; not only is it ungrammatical (the correct form would be Loaros, cf. Nidaros), but the name Lo is not recorded anywhere before Peder Claussøn Friis first used it in the same work in which he proposed this etymology.[11] The name Lo is now believed to be a back-formation arrived at by Friis in support of his spurious etymology for Oslo.[12]

During the Middle Ages the name was initially spelt "Áslo" and later "Óslo". The earlier spelling suggests that the first component ás refers either to the Ekeberg ridge southeast of the town ("ås" in modern Norwegian), or to the Aesir. The most likely interpretations would therefore be either "the meadow beneath the ridge" or "the meadow of the gods". Both are equally plausible.[13]

A fire in 1624 destroyed much of the medieval city, and when the city was rebuilt it was moved westwards in order to be nearer the Akershus Fortress. King Christian IV of Denmark and Norway renamed the reborn city Christiania. According to an official spelling reform (that changed ch to k) the form was changed to Kristiania in 1877. (The same year the city names Christiansand and Christiansund were changed to Kristiansand and Kristiansund—and the name of the county Christians Amt was changed to Kristians Amt (see Oppland).) The new form was used in all official documents and publications of the Norwegian State, but not by the municipality itself. The city continued to use the old form until 1897, then they also changed to Kristiania (without any formal or official decision).

This original name was restored by a law of 11 July 1924, effective 1 January 1925; a decision which caused much debate in its time.

The problem in regards to the names for the two barbarian cities in Finland is there are no historical accounts of cities in Finland around 1000ad. I had to name them somehow. I think they should just represent tribes. In the new version I have added a barbarian city called "Sami" north of Sweden, which represents the Sami people.

In the end of the day, you can change the city names once you've conquered them.

Anyway, have a look at the new version (0.21a) I can't wait to get feedback!

You should really find another download solution. Atomic Gamer is really bad and no good. It has me sitting around and waiting for ten minutes before I even get to start the download, and it's really slow when downloading too (down to 170 kB/s). I really recommend ModDB or Strategy Informer.

Filefront is okay too, but you might have to reupload later, as it happens on a few occasions that the file either gets deleated or just disappears...

I like the updates. I especially like the colour and flag change of the Holy roman Empire. It makes it all look a lot better. I am playing France. I have overrun Burgundy totally and am waging my second war in Spain. My first war with the Umayyad went so-so. I took two of their cities, but found that they were too stiff to conquer completely, so I made peace with them by giving them back one city. Now, I have just attacked them again and am marching in with a mega army.

The action is really good. I like how there are bigger and smaller nations present and there is no recognizable balance between the nations. This means that greater nations like my France can go ahead and conquer the smaller ones like Burundy to build up a powerbase. I am going to play Burgundy the next time around to see how that is going. Hope I don't beat my head bloody against the Umayyad again though, because they do really great in Spain.

The Tech Tree is also very good. I'm looking forward to the icon updates too.

Thank you for the feedback and the pictures Le Sage, I am happy you like it.

What do you think about the combat classes, unit stats, the tech tree and civics?

I've played myself about 40-50 turns.

I think the longbowman is way too strong, I will reduce their strength to 6 and I will reduce the effect of the city defense promotion.

I need to implement the resource "camel" for the camel archer. and remove it as unique unit.

The khazars turned out to be too strong in my game, as well the pechenegs were arround for way too long i think.

I was playing as the Fatimids and made Burgundy, Venice, Abbasids & Bulgaria my vassals. After the conquest of Sardinia (barbarian) I was caught up in a long war with the Byzantines. But my conquest stopped after the they got Longbows with strength 8 and some ridiculous +100% city defense and some more bonuses.

After Otto (HRE) declared war on Hisham III (Umayyad) and brought his vassals (Leon, France, Papal State) with him into the war I thought it would be fun to declare war on Hisham III, he is now in war with every nation anywhere close by.

But I stopped playing since the strength of the longbows really annoys me.

I will release a quick fix later on, it might not be savegame compatible.

Top Bottom