[BTS] Middle Ages Mod

Hey! I am continuing my game with France. Invading the Umayyad is no easy task. They're very effective. They do some nice guerilla operations too, hitting my reinforcements as they're trying to get through to the main army. I've taken Cordoba, but it seems very unlikely that I'll conquer the entire area of Spain within a near future. Excellent stuff!

Yeah. The Longbowmen are a pain in the rear. I corrected them in my own copy though. you might also want to consider either slowing down technological advance or changing the calendar a bit. Or both. It feels a bit odd entering the Late Middle Ages in the early 1000's.

I've prepared as well some unique units (viking raider, saxon swordsman and norman mercanary) which i want to implement. and i want to make a lot of changes to the unit art styles.

An idea could be to also implement some units that are unique to several civs. Some excamples:
Varangian Guard - UU for Sweden, Norse (not Denmark-Norway, as they were way later), Kiev-Rus, Byzantines and Saxons. Basically varangians were norsemen who went into service as mercanaries for mainly the Saxons, Byzantines and Kiev-Rus.
Frankish Knight? - HRE and France
Italian Militia - Venice and Papals... you should find a way to implement Genoa as a civ too.
Berber Cavalry - Abbasids and Umayids
Hussar - Poland and Hungary... I know these were a bit later, but anyway...

Some extra UU proposals:
Norse: Longboat, Viking (not 'Berserker' or 'Viking Raider'... viking was originally a noun for Sailor and later became a verb for 'to go pillage' or 'to plunder' or 'to go pirate'), Birkebeiner
Sweden: Goth, Longboat, Leidangr
HRE: Teutonic Knight, Landsknecht
Venice: Galleas
Saxons: Huscarl, Fyrd
Byzantines: Dromon
"The Spanish Kingdom": Jinites, Almogavers

You might have added a couple of these already, and I have to admit that I have not played your mod that much, but I have tried it for a short while, and I like it. I hope you like these ideas too ;)

I've implemented 3 new units into the game:

Combat Pictures:
Spoiler :

I only made amendments to the textures. mostly shields and hairs, the helmet of the norman merc.

An idea could be to also implement some units that are unique to several civs. Some excamples:
Varangian Guard - UU for Sweden, Norse (not Denmark-Norway, as they were way later), Kiev-Rus, Byzantines and Saxons. Basically varangians were norsemen who went into service as mercanaries for mainly the Saxons, Byzantines and Kiev-Rus.
Frankish Knight? - HRE and France
Italian Militia - Venice and Papals... you should find a way to implement Genoa as a civ too.
Berber Cavalry - Abbasids and Umayids
Hussar - Poland and Hungary... I know these were a bit later, but anyway...

Some extra UU proposals:
Norse: Longboat, Viking (not 'Berserker' or 'Viking Raider'... viking was originally a noun for Sailor and later became a verb for 'to go pillage' or 'to plunder' or 'to go pirate'), Birkebeiner
Sweden: Goth, Longboat, Leidangr
HRE: Teutonic Knight, Landsknecht
Venice: Galleas
Saxons: Huscarl, Fyrd
Byzantines: Dromon
"The Spanish Kingdom": Jinites, Almogavers

You might have added a couple of these already, and I have to admit that I have not played your mod that much, but I have tried it for a short while, and I like it. I hope you like these ideas too ;)

A lot of the units you mentioned are planned.

Basically, you say that viking means "sailor" and "raider". Why not call the unit Sea Raider? since it starts with amphibious, that makes sense. I am reluctant to call it viking, since I and a lot more people around the world see the Nordic nations of Denmark, Norway and Sweden as vikings

Yeah, besides, the Viking Age was really coming to an end at the year 1000 when the mod starts out. The Christening of Scandinavia and all that. I think calling them Raiders is really good though. They look really good too! :goodjob:

I disagree about the end of the viking age with you.

Knut the Great, the son of Sweyn I. died in 1035,
the battle of Stamford Bridge was fought in 1066 (viking forces invading England),
the Norman (viking) conquest of Britain in 1066 was as well essentially viking.
Then you get the Norman rule over Sicily.

The list could go on with examples which I would need to verify first.

But the viking age was not over at all in 1000AD/CE. It was just before its height!

To get back to my other post: I meant, that as well a danish archer or horseman would be a viking in the eyes of the world.

Yeah. You are right about that, but I was really only referring to the designation "Viking" as opposed to the use of the other designation in the mod.

The viking age ended with the death of Harald Hardraade in 1066

No! Please do continue to develop this Middle Ages mod. Don't quit it just because of lack of responses. Publish some screenshots or do continuing reports on how development goes just to keep the thread going yourself. That's what I did with my Fairy Tale mod, because there was absolutely no response in the beginning.

I haven't had time to do much Civilization IV playing lately; I've been modding Oblivion instead and been abroad and stuff like that, so I haven't had time to comment, although I do like to comment when I see good mods and people doing great stuff. Like this Medieval mod of yours - because I really like it. I'll check your other mod out too! Happy New Year. :)

Top Bottom