Buffing the "weaker" Civs, opinions wanted

CARTHAGE: UA and Elephants are fine. Give the Quinquereme the Boarding Party I promotion, they were historically known for boarding parties due to their massive size, and being able to get Boarding Party II units with just a Barracks would give them a really good naval edge. They could promote to Caravels with the Sight or Movement promotions much more easily :)

Regarding Netherlands...

Their UU is really beastly at times, and their UI can be really fun if you manage to spam them. But the UA, despite being useful for a player, has zero use for the AI. I know, I know, cheaty moron AI and all that, Netherlands took a bit of a hit in BNW because they can no longer get early 240 gold (Standard). Sure, you can get early +7 gpt (standard) but sometimes you want cash fast.

I would propose +1 or +2 trade routes upon researching a naval based tech. Dutch were good traders and their Fluyt, IIRC was known for being cheap to construct and was a trade ship. Heck, Ithink the Sea Beggar is based off a Fluyt.

Same with Venice, combat bonus in own lands already belongs to the Shoshone, and doesn't seem very fitting for Venice IMO.

I think I may wind up doing something instead like a free promotion bonus to all units that grants them a bonus within certain number of times of capital if u can figure it out.

I feel like I need to do something like that for Venice, or better city defense because too often in games the ai is simply jacked up by an aggressive Civ with all too much ease.

with the help of lee i was able to now give byz the true bonus i really wanted: a free great prophet at a certain tech. i havent picked what tech that will be just yet, but, its just the bonus i wanted. i'm quite pleased.

Mongols- The UA sucks, really badly. Something that might work is Horse Resources are increased by 50%

America- Change the buying tiles. Sight is pretty good, but for tiles, say workers improve 50% faster, which is a useful bonus.

Byzaantium- Add "Get Free Prophet at Theology. (im basing this of a Byzantine wonder, the Hagia Sophia)

Denmark- Not much i could think of here, but at least make the free pillaging availible for all units.

Iroquois- Get rid of current UA. Units get Woodsmen Promotion. Farms may be built on forests without chopping them. Longhouse- change it to replaces Granary, gives it +2 production, similar to +2 science, +2 faith, +2 gold etc from other early UB's.

Dutch- Teach the Dutch AI to settle marsh more frequently and to be more willing to trade 1 copy luxes.

France- UA should be more substantial, such as more culture from GW.

Huns- Battering ram replaces Catapult. The UA has a bunch of random stuff, so I would give them 5% against cities.

Japan- Zero leaves. Dojo comes in, replaces Barrckes gives an increase to military production.

Ottomans- 50% cheaper for Naval Units- you wont have as many naval as land most likely,

Polynesia- UA is fine, UA- On its own, +2 culture, beside another +4, beside 2, +6, beside 3, +8. UU- Bonus against Barbarians (not realistic, but what else does a warrior really do?)

Portugal - Not saying its weak, but its not "fun". UA- 25% longer trade routes. (equals more gold most of the time). UU- Upgrade to Privateer, Ironclads are just bad. UI- Gets strategic resources as well.

Sweden- Remove 90 influence from GP gifts. Rewards from quests give 15 more influence.

Venice- Great Galleass changed to Canal. Canal's can form city connections between Cities (puppeted CS) and naval units may travel on them, if the canal starts or ends in a coastal city.

I think the Japanese dojo will make an appearance for sure

Ive also been able to give America sciemce om kills.i like that

Mongols- The UA sucks, really badly. Something that might work is Horse Resources are increased by 50%

America- Change the buying tiles. Sight is pretty good, but for tiles, say workers improve 50% faster, which is a useful bonus.

Byzaantium- Add "Get Free Prophet at Theology. (im basing this of a Byzantine wonder, the Hagia Sophia)

Denmark- Not much i could think of here, but at least make the free pillaging availible for all units.

Iroquois- Get rid of current UA. Units get Woodsmen Promotion. Farms may be built on forests without chopping them. Longhouse- change it to replaces Granary, gives it +2 production, similar to +2 science, +2 faith, +2 gold etc from other early UB's.

Dutch- Teach the Dutch AI to settle marsh more frequently and to be more willing to trade 1 copy luxes.

France- UA should be more substantial, such as more culture from GW.

Huns- Battering ram replaces Catapult. The UA has a bunch of random stuff, so I would give them 5% against cities.

Japan- Zero leaves. Dojo comes in, replaces Barrckes gives an increase to military production

Ill do more later.
The Mongol UA sucks to balance out the Keshik.

Venice: Castle becomes available when walls do, and whenever you build or buy a wall you also get a free castle in that city. Units attacking the city of Venice suffer 10% additional damage.

Just spitballin':

VENICE: Everything from BNW, plus: City-States with Trade Routes with Venice act as allies of Venice whenever Venice is at War.

NETHERLANDS: +1 Happiness per Trade Route in city.

JAPAN: +15% Production when Japan is at war. +15% Science when Japan is not at war.

DENMARK: Norwegian Ski Infantry replaced with UU "Knarr," a Galleas replacement capable of crossing oceans.

Mongolia: Diplomatic penalties from capturing city states are reduced by 15% to all other civilizations.

Maya: Atlalists start with +1 range.

Spain: Tercios hammer cost is the same as the default musketman hammer cost.

Egypt: Other civilizations that capture egyptian cities with a burial tomb no longer get paid gold for the burial tomb.

Mongolia: Diplomatic penalties from capturing city states are reduced by 15% to all other civilizations.

Maya: Atlalists start with +1 range.

Spain: Tercios hammer cost is the same as the default musketman hammer cost.

Egypt: Other civilizations that capture egyptian cities with a burial tomb no longer get paid gold for the burial tomb.
That change doesn't really help the Mongols since a person generally shouldn't attack city states in the first place.

updated ... these are all done and tested...except the celts. still wondering how to fix them up.

America cheaper border purchases are gone. 20% faster great person generation. this may need to get toned down but ill see.

Mongolia Mongolians have been given a significant culture bonus for killing units. 125% 25% more than what aztecs got. the aztecs have had their ua changed

Aztecs I didn't think they needed buffing, but with Mongolia taking their ability i wanted to create diversity. they've now been given 150% faith per kill instead of 100% culture.

Venice Venice has been given a brand new promotion someone helped me make on civfanatics. 50% bonus when they fight within 3 tiles of the capital. this should help them survive onslaughts from aggressive neighbours, and prevent their units from being offensive minded where i didnt want them.

Carthage Carthage will be given a 10% reduction in social policy cost. I hope it doesn't get too powerful, but ill test it tonight and see how many extra policies that turns out to be.

Denmark Tested and already done in a mod. No more ski infantry, instead Stave Church from Barathor. Berserkers now have foreign lands bonus, vs wounded bonus, and lose the defense modified for terrain. They should be a handful now.

Germany Hanse is the same as it is but now available at Guilds. Barbarian bonus is gone, and they now have 50% lower unit maintenance.

Iroquois Simple mod from some other guy whos name starts with K; the longhouse is now +5 production and then all the extra production from trees. Makes this UB really shine.

Celts Still dont know what to do here. considering giving a free founder belief like teh byzantiums. but i dont like repeating.

Netherlands the luxury bonus is gone. instead they have 50% cheaper naval maintenance. i may make it 75%. when optics is researched they get a free great merchant.

Byzantium free great prophet given when philosophy is researched.

For the celts, a solution would be to replace the UA by +1:c5faith: per tile with NO improvement (including no road). It would need to b tested, in case it is OP it can be replaced by +1:c5faith: per 2 worked and non-improved tile.

For Denmark, I would give a bonus for pillaging, either gold or culture.

For America, a -20% cost to settlers.

I think you should at least partially leave some of the American cheaper tile purchase. +20% to great people won't really have that much effect until the mid-game and they sorta need something to help them out in the early game.... Remember none of their other uniques are available early so I think you ought to consider giving the Civ something to help it establish.

I would have a suggestion for Celts, although it may be overpowered.

Upon choosing a Pantheon, get an extra pantheon for free.

Wasn't it already agreed that the reason Mongolia's UA is weak is that their UUs are so strong?

Top Bottom