BUG Mod no buttons?

Zaimejs

Emperor
I just tried some mods and although I don't know what it does, I wanted to try the BUG Mod. So I loaded it up and it runs, but there are no buttons on the GUI at all. I just get a big map with no controls at all. I don't know all the keyboard controls, so I couldn't even settle a city. Kind of sad, really, but where are my buttons? Is there a button to make the buttons show up at the bottom of the screen?!

Thanks!

I sounds as if your BUG mod is not installed correctly. As a result, the Python code is not running to set up your user interface.

Check that you have installed it according the instructions here. Alternatively, try installing the MacBUFFY mod which includes BUG.

Try patching your game to the latest patch.

Are you running the Steam version of BtS? If so you should have the latest versions. However, the installations may be subtly different. Please let me know what the folder structures are for Civ4, Warlords and BtS, both in your /Applicaitons folder and in your ~/Documents/ folder. There may be a new twist to getting mods to work with the Steam or other downloaded version of the games.

The file structure looks the same. i just dropped the BUG mod into the mods folder and ran the mod after starting up. I didn't make it load automatically.

I am running off of STEAM, so it is the latest version. And the file structure looks the same as when I had the full version installed on her as Civ IV vanilla.

Huh, that's weird. It's not in the Mod Folder anymore... and I swear I made a new art folder for Blue Marble, and it is not there either. Weird.

So BUG Mod... not only does it not have the buttons, but I realized that it doesn't tell you what civ you are at start up. You get a blank tech advisor screen that you have to exit to start playing... and then you just have this giant screen with no buttons.

Hmmm....

As I said, the lack of any interface means the Python in BUG has failed to run. If you want me to try to diagnose what's going wrong, then edit the ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini file using TextEdit, and set:

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

Then start up BtS and load the mod. Errors during Python initialization will show up in:

~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Logs/PythonErr.log

Open this file in TextEdit and copy/paste the contents here for me to look at.

Please note that there are TWO mods folders. See the link I gave earlier. One is in ~/Documents/... The other is in /Applications/Civ4/.....

BlueMarble normally goes in ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/

Attached is the log. Looks like there is a problem, Jim.

Attachments

• PythonErr.txt
    38.7 KB · Views: 153
Attached is the log. Looks like there is a problem, Jim.

It's most probably clashing with something in CustomAssets. Switch CustomAssets off in the .ini file.

Did you look at the log?

Doesn't it need custom assets? I don't even know what those do :) NEWB!!!

Did you look at the log?

Doesn't it need custom assets? I don't even know what those do :) NEWB!!!

Custom Assets is a place that located in /Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/ where you can put custom art and other files that will load automatically for every game of BTS that you play. It's theoretically possible to load a mod and use Custom Assets at the same time but in practice it breaks with all mods except those that are a purely graphical like Blue Marble.

BUG will work from Custom Assets fine, so long as you do not try to load another mod or scenario as well - they might work, but don't count on it.

However BUG can fail with symptoms like you describe and the PythonErr.log shows if it is installed twice. This can happen if BUG is installed in Custom Assets and then you try to launch BUG (or any mod that contains it) via "Load a Mod".

If you just want BUG in Custom Assets then once it's installed you don't need to do anything and it will just work when you start a game. However if you are trying to load it as a mod then you need to edit the file /Mods/BUG Mod 4.3/BUG Mod 4.3.ini. Look for the line Custom Assets = 1 and change it to 0. This works for all other mods too btw, just edit their .ini file.

EDIT: the other option is you've installed it wrong. Basically what the PythonErr.log is saying is that it can't find/load any of the main python files.

Here is what it says in the bugmod 4.4.ini. Looks like custom assets are already set to zero. I have the bugmod in the mods folder... I don't see how I could mess up the install?

[CONFIG]

; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 0

; Skip Main menu
SkipMainMenu = 0

; Custom Art from user folder is not loaded
NoCustomArt = 0

; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 0

; No Custom Scenario option in main menu
NoCustomScenario = 0

; No team play allowed
NoTeams = 0

; Read Game options from XML, not .ini
ForceGameOptions = 0

; Always start in the standard era
ForceStandardEra = 0

; Scenario file (Single player)
ForceScenario = 0

; This mod is only for single player games
SinglePlayerOnly = 0

; Allow public maps to be used with this mod
AllowPublicMaps = 1

; Mod Image file
ImageFile = 0

; Name of Mod
Name = BUGMod_4.4

; Description of Mod
Description = Generic Mod

You misinterpret the code. "NoCustomAssets = 0" means NoCustomAssets is off, so CustomAssets are used. "NoCustomAssets = 1" would mean NoCustomAssets is on, so CustomAssets are not used.

I've just downloaded BUG version 4.4 and it fails here as well, with the same error. It looks as if the BUG team have added new code that may require the later version of Python used by the Windows version of Civ4. I've posted a report to the BUG team.

You misinterpret the code. "NoCustomAssets = 0" means NoCustomAssets is off, so CustomAssets are used. "NoCustomAssets = 1" would mean NoCustomAssets is on, so CustomAssets are not used.

That was my bad, I explained it wrong. Forgot it had a "No" in front of it. Sorry for the confusion.

I've just downloaded BUG version 4.4 and it fails here as well, with the same error. It looks as if the BUG team have added new code that may require the later version of Python used by the Windows version of Civ4. I've posted a report to the BUG team.

Ah I didn't realize 4.4 was out. Shall have to go have a look, hopefully it's an easy fix.

Damn. Should I get 3 or wait?

4.4 is only a small update from 4.3. Go for it, once you start playing with BUG you never want to go back to the standard interface again.

Feedback from the BUG team. We need to delete the line that throws the error:

In BUGMod_4.4/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py, delete the line ...
Code:
	newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__
Save the file, and BUG should then load correctly. I've tested it and it seems to work OK.

I will try that when I get home. I am looking forward to trying this out. I had another mod that was cool because it told me when people were ready to trade and other bits of info... I don't know where that went or what it was.

Top Bottom