Button

AdelineJ

Warlord
Hello!
Once, I found the tutorial that explicates how to create a button but today I don't find. If anyone knows where it is, please, say me...
Thanks
AdelineJ

I do not know that tutorial, but i can summarize the things you need to know.

A Button is 64x64 pixels small, should be saved as DXT3 .dds file, and must have MimMaps turned OFF (to avoid them appearing extra-blurry in some UI elements).

To make it match the original look, you would have to paste a copy of the frame from an original button on top of your image.
The rounded corners in default Civ4 Buttons are done via alpha channel - making the corners invisible.

Attached is my template with already pre-set alpha channel, frame layer and a selection of original Civ4 unit backgrounds, that might help to speed up the process - just enable the background that fits your need and paste your image into the empty layer below the frame. To improve the overall result, you can apply a pass of unsharp mask (~3px wide, medium intensity) to the image layer only (not to the frame/bg layers).
You can use it with Photoshop or Gimp (maybe other graphical software capable of working with multiple layers as well).

Attachments

• Button_Generic.zip
    84.1 KB · Views: 114
Yes, thanks.

@refar
regarding the mipmaps, what about button atlases: they too should not have mipmaps. i never noticed this issue, perhaps this depends what option you choose for the mipmap creation (lot of sharpening)?

I never used atlases for custom stuff, but I am pretty sure, they should have no MipMaps at all as well.

Top Bottom