Can't trust the AI

Chicagophil

Chieftain
I haven't played CIV 5 all that much, but love it.

Just love when a CIV asks me to goto war with them, I fight and take over cities of the enemy and then next turn the original AI denounces me. WTF

Yup, this is standard behavior from the AI. You pretty much can either a) not take any land in a war (which is dull) or b) embrace the warmongering reputation and win a domination victory (which is not dull.)

Yup, this is standard behavior from the AI. You pretty much can either a) not take any land in a war (which is dull) or b) embrace the warmongering reputation and win a domination victory (which is not dull.)

The other way to get land which can work is to full on rampage through their land, defeat their standing army, ravage their improvements and surround an important city. Go to diplomacy, demand some of their smaller cities (or city) in return for peace, they're accepting it a bit for me.

The other way to get land which can work is to full on rampage through their land, defeat their standing army, ravage their improvements and surround an important city. Go to diplomacy, demand some of their smaller cities (or city) in return for peace, they're accepting it a bit for me.

That can work, but unless the Civ you're at war with is almost universally hated you're still likely to get denounced by multiple leaders for being too "warmongery"

I haven't played CIV 5 all that much, but love it.

Just love when a CIV asks me to goto war with them, I fight and take over cities of the enemy and then next turn the original AI denounces me. WTF

AIs denounce all the time especially when you take an AI's capital city, make peace and let the AI civ survive.

Aside from the fact the OP prolly got some warmongering hate that tipped that particular civ over the edge to answer the question, you can't trust the AI as it can always back-stab you(like you can to it).

Nope
I was playing to quietly alone by myself. Turtle strat minding my own business. Earlier in the game Hiawatha DoW on me, I repelled and got one of his cities.

Time went by.

I became friends with Washington, He asked me to goto war with him against Asika. I said in ten turns, he said super. Ten turns went by, he reminded me, I said yes, ready to go, I took GAO (His only city) he was getting over run by Caesar.

Asika is no more, war is over, next turn Washington the one that wanted me to goto war denounces me.

I took GAO (His only city) he was getting over run by Caesar.

You shouldn't take a civ's last city, you get massive warmonger penalty for that, even if you are at war with a common foe.

I was a friend of Ethiopia since the beginning. But I secretly hated him because he was competing with me on religion (I was playing Byzantine). China asked me for three times to DOW together on Ethiopia. I refused for the first two times but at the third I realized I must do so or he would completely dominate over my own religion.

So I agreed and DOWed. China immediately became Guarded to me because she hates warmongers and I DOWed on a friend.

I felt so stupid and bad.

The AIs tendency to backstab actually is the only reason you don't win all the time. If it wasn't such a merciless double crossing son of a beach, it would be to easy to win.

Yeah....the war-mongering thing is confusing....in some games you just have to decide that being a "warmonger" is the lesser "evil"...if that's the way to put it.

Playing as the Mongols I reached the point where it was time to attack my neighbour...Carthage. Carthage was already at war with Rome, so I assumed Augustus Caesar would not care.

Well...it doesn't work like that, Rome denounced me because of early warmonger tendencies I guess it was. But since I was playing as a warmonger that didn't particularly bother me...it only surprised me that the mechanic would work such that they would actually denounce me.

After I captured Carthage...the closest city to me, I turned on Augustus Caesar...took one city...started razing it...then started on Rome, which I had to stall a bit on until my happiness levels caught up...not very long though and Rome was mine .....

I think the "warmonger" mechanic does need a bit of finessing.... Although on second thought, maybe Rome was actually showing a bit of prescience... ;)

Is warmongering taking a civs capital or last city? What if there is a fog of war and you don't know if it's there last city? :)

Is warmongering taking a civs capital or last city? What if there is a fog of war and you don't know if it's there last city? :)
Taking ANY city may raises AI's warmongering concerns. The only difference is severity.

Fog of war doesn't matter in counting cities. AIs know for sure whether you are taking the last city or not (actually, it's easy to find out even for players).

It's not always easy to do but one way to really screw with this is to knock civs down to just one city, bribe someone else to attack and knock them out of the game (for a big diplo hit), then declare war on that civ and liberate the city back into life. One especially sneaky way to pull this off is to plant some crap cities in a place near where you want the second civ to easily capture it, and gift it to the first civ before you start your war. Works best if you plan to take the first civ's capital.

to reduce your warmonger status you should consider liberating cities of other civ - at least the previous owner of the city will most propably never ever consider you a warmonger any more.
I had a game with Japan and allied with a CS. declared war on Denmark. My cities were to far away for him so he conquered that CS while the next turn I got it back liberating it. This went on and on till I was at 6xx influence to that CS and the whole world hated Harald =)

Just happened yesterday. I was playing as England, the Ottomans declared war on me "because I was too close." His naval force was ridiculous. So I killed of his cute, little triremes, build some Frigates and took his city. He even gave me Ankara for free. After that everybody denounced me and I quit the game. The AI shouldn't denounce me if I did nothing to start the war, that's just stupid.

Documentation on the warmonger penalty is quite poor. However, the good news is that you can still go on conquest binges without racking up too much hate. What you need to do is first bribe your victim to attack (and hopefully eliminate) a CS or small civ. Once they do so, you can take several cities as long as you liberate the eliminated CS (liberation on an eliminated rival grants a huge bonus). Just remember not to take too much, and try to bribe yet another civ to finish off your victim. If that other civ finishes the kill, DOW them and liberate your original victim. Rinse and repeat.

Top Bottom