Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

They are currently set to scale by game speed and map size with a current value of 1-4 depending on the buildings you have. Most are 1 which means I can't reduce the value.
Map size shouldn't scale it either way.

As for game speed scaling its kinda quadratic:
Both on Blitz and Eternity you can get same amount of animals within same amount of turns.

Example:
Blitz: 10 subdued animals within 10 turns -> 20 :science::culture:
Eternity: 10 subdued animals within 10 turns -> 400 :science::culture:

But turn on Blitz is worth 20 turns on Eternity:
Eternity: 200 subdued animals within 200 turns -> 8000 :science::culture:
Effectively total rewards within span of given era or tech column scale quadratically.

@DH,
There have been complaints that wild Camels do not spawn. I see them occasionally but looking into the files the iTurn for wild Camel is 30 while a CaveBear is 300. Bison and Cow are also at 30 while almost every other Animal is in the range of 200 -350. Can you tell me why? Please?

@DH,
There have been complaints that wild Camels do not spawn. I see them occasionally but looking into the files the iTurn for wild Camel is 30 while a CaveBear is 300. Bison and Cow are also at 30 while almost every other Animal is in the range of 200 -350. Can you tell me why? Please?
Can't tell you at the of the top of my head and I am running out of time this morning.

I don't think many agree with you that a larger flag trumps a larger minimap in this case
I don't see the need for a larger map myself and the mini is valuable, and about to be moreso if we get multimaps in play. I think this is purely a preference issue because either way it doesn't effect the end useability.

Why add buttons (commerce adjusters) that are not needed? Don't you ever use the ctrl+shif+alt buttons when playing C2C? Those buttons are so useful for so much in C2C.
I do prefer to not have to remember which hotkeys I would have to use for which denomination of adjustment. Seeing that you can adjust these down to 1% increments IS very interesting, but I'd pretty much find myself just limited to 10% increments, or whatever the unadjusted buttons do - and if I was a new player I'd probably never realize what the hotkey modified ones could do unless a help hover explains all those options. I certainly would be slow to remember which to use without that even as an experienced player. Me and hotkeys... don't get along unless I have a quick reference source at the time I want to use them. Sucks... still don't remember how to mark where I want to put my cities...

EDIT: not understanding the mini-map stuff, i only use it when i need to get to a different city or place real fast, thats it ..
Well, you gotta admit it's at least more useful than having a large amount of the screen real estate dedicated to the hover info you can get from the flag all the same when the flag is a bit smaller.

@DH,
I'm not looking at the specific numbers closely here but do be aware that the wider the range of plots an animal can spawn from, the higher these numbers have to be. Lower is more likely and if you have a resource spawning animal, you might need a much lower (more likely) number to get the frequency right in comparison.

Most likely reason for wild camels not spawning is competition with other things that can spawn on that camel resource plot or not having camel resource plots in enough volume on the map.

A bit of patience please this mod is an international effort. Your post was not there when I went to bed as 2am. It is there now at 6am. Joe and Thundrbrd were trying to provide information as best they could. But I am the one with the knowledge as Joe mentioned.

I apologize for my behavior !!
As i said in an other post ,it was very hot here in Germany and those temperature are awfull for me, so the heat let me overreact.
I know you all do this in your free-time and i am full of respect what you do!!

So about that city bar size, I don't want to make it smaller than what I just did as it then becomes too small on high resolutions, there is no way to scale it differently based on resolution in use.

Here's two screenshots of a city bar at the same FoV and zoom level. I only changed resolution between the two screenshots, from 1920x1080 to 1024x768.
ezgif-3-d77f09356a2a.gif It's a gif comparison that change while its open.

Edit: Did the same comparison with an older pre-PPIO SVN revision.
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

Last edited:
So about that city bar size, I don't want to make it smaller than what I just did as it then becomes too small on high resolutions, there is no way to scale it differently based on resolution in use.

Here's two screenshots of a city bar at the same FoV and zoom level. I only changed resolution between the two screenshots, from 1920x1080 to 1024x768.
View attachment 530451 It's a gif comparison that change while its open.
well i absolutely hate the size, in 1028, i could care less about these that play on 1920, they can change it then, NOT ME. . .

just thinking, is there anyways to put some of the changes u want, like u did with the icon/action stuff, meaning change unit size and city size in the BUG area??just askin'

I apologize for my behavior !!
As i said in an other post ,it was very hot here in Germany and those temperature are awfull for me, so the heat let me overreact.
I know you all do this in your free-time and i am full of respect what you do!!
Not a problem, as you may have noticed I only got 4hrs sleep last night and probably overreacted.

And as is obvious in your images the larger one completely hides the bonus and plot just south of the city. :(

I play on a somewhat higher res and find that the city bar (before PPIO) was a little large anyhow. I bet it could be reduced some even for those on higher res. The problem looks mostly to be that it stretches on the more squared res.

And as is obvious in your images the larger one completely hides the bonus and plot just south of the city. :(
I'd wager the toggle on the field of view (the slide bar in the upper right) could resolve that fairly easily and that large or small, city bars will still cover details like that at times. I personally just like them to be wide enough that you can select them even when troops are in the next plot to the south of the city, which I often struggle with on this original UI - I'll be checking PPIO out personally more later tonight.

Yes, and the problem I tried to point out is that there is no way to make the large one smaller without also making the small one equally smaller.
just thinking, is there anyways to put some of the changes u want, like u did with the icon/action stuff, meaning change unit size and city size in the BUG area??just askin'
City bar size would be difficult to change with an option, unit size too for that matter. complicated dll modifications would also be needed to implement for the unit size option at least.

Last edited:
  • Renamed ERA_ANCIENT to ERA_SEDENTARY and ERA_PREHISTORIC to ERA_ANCIENT because the exe chooses ERA_ANCIENT for you if you don't have this option set in CivilizationIV.ini when you are about to start a new game. You don't need to change anything for this update. If you have ERA_PREHISTORIC set in the ini, the next time you start a new game, the exe will automatically set it to ERA_ANCIENT for you.
ERA_ANCIENT means prehistoric era
ERA_SEDENTARY means ancient era
I'm pretty sure this breaks saves, doesn't it?
Or perhaps the save compatibility code handles it fine, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure this breaks saves, doesn't it?
Or perhaps the save compatibility code handles it fine, I don't know.
I guess we'll find out but as DH says, it may change the naming of the era but doubt it changes the enumeration the game is maintaining for the era.

Posting a copy pasta from Discord

10:31 PM] Shoobs:
So uh, the Great Hunter event doesn't apply its bonuses to Neanderthal units of the same type or kind
[10:33 PM] Thunderbrd:
nor would it for the master hunters I don't think
[10:34 PM] Thunderbrd:
That's a python matter to bring up on the forum.
[10:34 PM] Shoobs:
Which I would understand for Master Hunters, they're already Master hunters.
But the training is meant for hunters, trackers, and chasers, and should also apply to Neanderthal units, even if it's a lesser version to not make them even more overall op
[10:35 PM] Thunderbrd:
I can see why it should but it'll have to be specified in the py programming for the event
[10:36 PM] Shoobs:
Ahhh.it's a python script
understandable.

Also a different thought and unrelated.

2:51 PM] Shoobs:
Should we be keeping it hard for people to get deer camps? As it is, deer only really spawn in certain areas even if gazelles, which are similar animals, spawn in say africa.
[2:52 PM] KaTiON:
It's trivial to add a tag to the deer camp to make it buildable by gazelles.
[2:58 PM] Shoobs:
I know, but design wise should we?
I'm only commenting because on the southern half of the map, we have deer resources but not actual deer.

what line did u add, and what is it for?? just askin'
The first number is the distance between the city bar and the camera.
The second number is how much the city bar is scaled at that distance.

You can change those lines while a game is running and they will work right away without restarting the game.
So just alt+tab out/in of the game and play with those values as much as you want. That way you'll get a better sense of how it works.

The city bar is hardwired to scale up with distance, so the point with that fader is actually to scale it down by distance to counteract the hard wired up-scaling by distance.
It's a bit topsy-turvy.

Posting a copy pasta from Discord

10:31 PM] Shoobs:
So uh, the Great Hunter event doesn't apply its bonuses to Neanderthal units of the same type or kind
[10:33 PM] Thunderbrd:
nor would it for the master hunters I don't think
[10:34 PM] Thunderbrd:
That's a python matter to bring up on the forum.
Which I would understand for Master Hunters, they're already Master hunters.
But the training is meant for hunters, trackers, and chasers, and should also apply to Neanderthal units, even if it's a lesser version to not make them even more overall op
[10:35 PM] Thunderbrd:
I can see why it should but it'll have to be specified in the py programming for the event
Ahhh.it's a python script
understandable.

Also a different thought and unrelated.

2:51 PM] Shoobs:
Should we be keeping it hard for people to get deer camps? As it is, deer only really spawn in certain areas even if gazelles, which are similar animals, spawn in say africa.
[2:52 PM] KaTiON:
It's trivial to add a tag to the deer camp to make it buildable by gazelles.
I know, but design wise should we?
I'm only commenting because on the southern half of the map, we have deer resources but not actual deer.
1. A hunter review is underway but I suspect that the code (py or xml) has not identified the neanderthal hunters as hunters. I think it is done by unit combat class so that would just be an xml fix.

2. Which is why I wanted an antelope resource to match.

The first number is the distance between the city bar and the camera.
The second number is how much the city bar is scaled at that distance.

You can change those lines while a game is running and they will work right away without restarting the game.
So just alt+tab out/in of the game and play with those values as much as you want. That way you'll get a better sense of how it works.

The city bar is hardwired to scale up with distance, so the point with that fader is actually to scale it down by distance to counteract the hard wired up-scaling by distance.
It's a bit topsy-turvy.
ok, here is what i am looking at , that works for me, ok. . .

also with raxo changes of course .. .in a previous post. .

Attachments

• cuty.JPG
    cuty.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 71
  • cuty1.JPG
    cuty1.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom