Caveman2Cosmos v43 Player Guide

You ARE right at the lowest levels, where direct XP gain usually outweighs Free Promos (but also not always), yet the stronger your units grows, the more beneficial Free Promos become
Yes, true, but the risks required to GET those free promos are harder to want to take if the unit is so well developed.
And, funny enough, not ALL Free Promos come from "low survival" battles - some come from "high retreat Pigeon" battles, for example.
That's why I've considered adjusting retreat factors right out of XP gain entirely. It was a thought that it would make things 'fair' but it doesn't account for the high risk factor, only the low likelihood of a win factor.
So SOMETIMES you can amass quite a few Free Promos even from battles that are worth like 0.1 XP each and have like 99% victory rate as well, loool.
I think sometimes the soren random generator strongly enjoys extremely unlikely results, more than true random would, for some reason.

I think sometimes the soren random generator strongly enjoys extremely unlikely results, more than true random would, for some reason.
Most likely reason: Calculated twice differently - one internally for combat, other for display.
I really don't trust civ4 coding lmao

Most likely reason: Calculated twice differently - one internally for combat, other for display.
There's a difference between the likelihoods displayed and what players think they mean of course. Particularly with sneak attacks and first strikes and anything else that could change the real start of battle odds calculation. The game doesn't break down what happens when one unlikely hit takes place in the first round that changes everything about the chances. The battlefield promos do take from the beginning of battle odds and those odds recalculate every single round during the fight.

My comment on the random generator goes back to experiences with the original game as well though... it's always been that there are an unusual amount of unlikely upsets.

After losing a bunch of 80%+ battles, I outright think it's a lying liar of lies, dammit.

There's a difference between the likelihoods displayed and what players think they mean of course. Particularly with sneak attacks and first strikes and anything else that could change the real start of battle odds calculation. The game doesn't break down what happens when one unlikely hit takes place in the first round that changes everything about the chances. The battlefield promos do take from the beginning of battle odds and those odds recalculate every single round during the fight.

My comment on the random generator goes back to experiences with the original game as well though... it's always been that there are an unusual amount of unlikely upsets.
Less so for Civ 4, but... I sorely miss the chaos fun wtf lol rofl lmao of taking out TANKS (10?) with PHALANXES (2?) back in Civ 1.
MWAHAHAHA!!!

Yet again I want to insist on the importance of defaults being the recommended ones
(and taking into account players that haven't even played Rise of Mankind / A New Dawn, though having played Beyond the Sword at least once should probably be a minimum to target ?)

Proof : https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/stream-youtube-hadriex-plays-neanderthals.688414/

Now this issue seems to be even more gnarly because players will seemingly routinely ignore instructions and will try to install over other "heavy overhaul" mods or the latest ("bugged") Steam version...

To be honest I haven't used the installer in a long time (using SVN instead), but is there a way for it to check that the Civ installation is a sane one, and maybe even have an opt-out option for the installer to reset game settings (backing up the previous ones) ?

Top Bottom