CDG Series Discussion Thread

OK, map and screenshot of starting location are up. Good luck. Hopefully it should be a tough map.

If no one has any objections, I'm going to start thinking about the next map, which I'll likely post in a week or so.

If I have your blessing, please indicate whether you want Russia, Songhai or Greece. I want to play around with super Cavalry and Landships.

Re: Rome = Every building in the game means filling the tech tree, so this is a Science game where you take your time?

Doesn't fit with the other achievements, which look like DomV. At this point, I think only fast SV and Dom are any fun any more.

Tbh, I think we'd be better off playing around with Large maps, later-era starts, odd settings, etc.

I just played a game with no river or wheat or deer in capital and still got Dynamite T155 with Oxford Fertiliser and GS for Military Science.

If anyone can think of really fun and unique achievements, I might be up for it though.

I think I will concentrate on a Poland map.

Last edited:
OK I have a Poland continents map for a total domination/Science game. I can either post it before or after this Rome game. What's happening with that one?

^^^^ IGNORE THIS (WHERE IS THE STRIKETHROUGH ON THE NEW FORUMS???? ^^^^

OK I've settled on a map for a Halloween special. Can post whenever. It is Large map, very hard.

Last edited:
OK thanks. I'll wait for a couple of nods to say that I should post the very tricky Halloween special.

I am sure people will love it!

I would like to be in queue for Babylon SV, as I have an idea for some decent enough achievement points. I can wait until November, no problem.

I'm up for a crazy scary Halloween maps. If I could OCC your last map after about 10 rollbacks I'm sure I can take the scariness of the halloween one eventually. As long as its not IGE'd to have you start in the middle of 48 Shaka's and you are Venice... That'd be too scary...

OK I will post the map in the next couple of days. The challenge will be to post a win before the 31st. You'll have a couple of weeks, but it won't be easy at all. The AI has significant advantages, plus it's a large map and the opponents were handpicked to be competitive. Expect pain.

I have a Babylon map and achievements that are good enough, I think. But I would prefer to defer to @Maxattack and @consentient if either of you have maps good to go.

The Mac version of VI is available months earlier than I was expecting, so now I have some choices to make…

So few people played the last map, I'm not sure if it is worth it any more. Whaddya think?

I've taken to playing Large maps now, which are much harder, and with respect, it seems like the remaining player base is comprised mainly of 'casual Deity' players. I hope that no one feels insulted by that.

Standard/Standard has clearly always been the CFC norm, and the DCL/CDG norm, but I've gotten used to the extra challenge and dynamics of Large maps.

For one thing, Diplomacy is considerably more varied. Rather than having the same few points in the game where diplomacy matters and big gaps in between where it really doesn't, like on Standard, the complexity of those extra 2 AIs and a larger number of cities and the increased importance of a large number of lux and the increased importance of religion, make for a much richer experience. It's not quite like playing a new game, but it's much more exciting to me.

So, the TLDR of this is that any map I roll is gonna be large.

I also have, as many of you know, fairly defined views of the kinds of maps I like to play and don't like to play. No isolated starts, not too far from a neighbour, many possible city spots, etc. and it can be hard to find maps that please everyone.

Since beetle mentioned Civ 6, I should say that Stormtrooper412's initial report is not particularly positive, and frankly, I don't think I will ever play that game.

I will continue to play Large maps, and then maybe see if my computer can handle Huge.

If anyone wants to join me in this, speak now or forever hold your peace. :p

I am kicking around a Carthage map, so I call dibs on Dido. I think it would interesting to have everyone trying to get something from Messenger of the Gods. Also, I want to try and see if I can make a Small Continents Plus map load for everyone. I think people might like to sample a map script they do not yet own.
So few people played the last map, I'm not sure if it is worth it any more. Whaddya think?
I am hoping we can through each civ. We are halfway there!
So, the TLDR of this is that any map I roll is gonna be large.
I am not a fan the large maps myself. But I think the first rule is to post games that you yourself are interested in playing, so have at it!

Last edited:
Though I would prefer standard, I'm willing to try some Large maps. This also opens the door if anyone wants to contribute smaller maps that they find interesting, or fool around with some other settings.

@ Consentient... I sent you a conversation Consentient. I think that is the new form of private message. Please take a look and reply. I would like to send this over to you and all the later additions and what not!

I didn't get anything. Could you resend?

I am hoping we can through each civ. We are halfway there!

Hmmm...perhaps it is time for another survey, to see first of all how many people still want to play these challenges, and secondly, what their preferences are?

Rather than persist with CDG and achievements, I'm personally more up for a return to a DCL-style open game, but with a mix of Deity and Immortal on Large and Huge maps.

But as always, the question remains as to how many people are going to take part in these challenges :S

Top Bottom