Christian Schisms?

Why would the Cross with the body of Christ be considered a Catholic only symbol?

Because, um, it is? The Orthodox don't seem to have an issue with it, but they do have their own cross symbol, as seen in the Piety window and the Byzantine symbol.

Most Protestants I know, though--and these are primarily American ones, so rather Evangelical--are actively against portrayals of the crucifix as opposed to the cross. As such, the Protestant symbol for CiV seems exactly correct.

If the only difference between one or the other is that one has a dead man on it, then it is clearly in the better interest of aesthetics for the Catholic symbol in CivV to remain the same. I'm not going to confuse the Catholic symbol with the Protestant one anytime soon for starters.

If the only difference between one or the other is that one has a dead man on it, then it is clearly in the better interest of aesthetics for the Catholic symbol in CivV to remain the same. I'm not going to confuse the Catholic symbol with the Protestant one anytime soon for starters.

Without trying to either take or give offense, the Zoroastrian symbol is of either a burnt sacrificial offering, or a funeral pyre with something (someone?) on it.

If that's acceptable, I would think a symbol accepted for over two millenia should also be acceptable. :)

Native American religions are seen as Pagan/Pantheon religions - just like original European religions. Just to note that parts of Northern Europe were converted to Christianity by Crusaders only 200 years earlier than Aztecs.

I dont see the difference between Boudicca preaching Christianity and Montezuma preaching Christianity. I would also like more religions. Would like to see original European religions like Druidism/Wicca and Odinism/Asatru.

Wouldn't have minded if they had some kind of generalised "Great Spirit" religion for the Shoshone and Iroquois. But I suppose that would've been pretty generalised and inaccurate...

Without trying to either take or give offense, the Zoroastrian symbol is of either a burnt sacrificial offering, or a funeral pyre with something (someone?) on it.

If that's acceptable, I would think a symbol accepted for over two millenia should also be acceptable. :)

The point is that a cross and a cross with a dead guy on it would be too similar.

Anyway, the Zoroastrian symbol is the Faravahar, which roughly translates to "guardian angel". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faravahar

The problem isn't that one has a dead man on it and the other doesn't. The problem is that is the only difference.

As it stands, one has to be intentionally trying to confuse any of the religious symbols.

Or, heck, use Shinto. If you don't mind the torii are your symbol, it's fairly close. Animistic rather than shamanistic, but quite possibly your best bet. (Don't know much about Tengriism.)

Perhaps I'm too used to the differences, but a cross and a crucifix (particularly as commonly used in utilitarian art such as rosaries) look quite different.

It's a very minor point, really, but it was just a minor disappointment to see spot-on renditions of both of the other major rites in Christianity (if you consider Protestantism one rite), but not Catholicism. Ah well.

Now, adding religious schisms in the game... a whole other argument. ;)

I wish the devs had put some more thought into the schism business. They already came up with reformation beliefs, so I don't understand why they didn't create a mechanic to split a religion you are following, giving you part of the original package plus a new founder's belief and a new reformation belief... You could then choose Protestantism or Orthodoxy in Christianity, Mahayana or Vajrayana in Buddhism, Shia or Harijan in Islam etc. (Of course you could still call it something else...)

Because there would never be a point in picking the religion without the reformation belief.

Indeed. We use crucifixes in Protestantism too, just not that widespread. :)

Because, um, it is? The Orthodox don't seem to have an issue with it, but they do have their own cross symbol, as seen in the Piety window and the Byzantine symbol.

Most Protestants I know, though--and these are primarily American ones, so rather Evangelical--are actively against portrayals of the crucifix as opposed to the cross. As such, the Protestant symbol for CiV seems exactly correct.

Just for the case of clearing the issue, the Orthodox church uses both symbols. My baptism cross (a present given by your God fathers when you are getting baptized in the orthodox church) does have the body of Christ on it. And we have many many crosses with the body on it as symbols in the churches. Moreover we have a ceremony during the Friday of the easter, that we call Apocathelosis, which is the removal of the body from the cross and interment to the tomb which in essence retells the story (don't know if Catholics do the same).

Also the Byzantine symbol in the game is not the accurate one and I have yet to see the new Piety window :)

My knowledge of protestant Catholicism fails me at the moment. Perhaps I need to visit a temple here if there is one and check, however I remember seeing a cross in Sweden that had the body on it too.

Anyway IDK really know if you get the info from CiV exclusively but body or no body is not an exclusive symbol of Catholicism. All Christians after all knowledge the fact of the crucifixion.

It is more associated with Catholicism than other variants of Christianity, but it's far from exclusive.

Indeed it might be more preeminent in depiction but I would not call it exclusive thats my point :D

EDIT: On the grounds of someone (me included) founding them offensive I would like to refrain from using words such as: Dead guy, dead dude and corpse when referring to that particular person, thanks.

EDIT2 :

I dont see the difference between Boudicca preaching Christianity and Montezuma preaching Christianity. I would also like more religions. Would like to see original European religions like Druidism/Wicca and Odinism/Asatru.

It seems they handle religion as it is geographically spread today and not as it was on a national basis, thats why Monty will be a Catholic it seems.

I wouldn't say that the crucifix is exclusively Catholic, but I would say that they use it far more than do the other Christian faiths. Representing Catholicism with a non-bodied cross would be weird. Representing the Eastern Orthodox church with such a cross would be just fine. Does that make sense?

Perhaps they could have used a Protestant rooster like many churches in Europe.

I still wish they would have added a Native American religion or two (I mean they added the obscure religion that the Huns and Mongols used)

It's just so awkward sailing to the New World to be preached by Montezuma about the Messiah.

Though I'm sure the religion mod that I used in G&K will be updated shortly :)

Monty is a Mormon, obviously

EDIT: On the grounds of someone (me included) founding them offensive I would like to refrain from using words such as: Dead guy, dead dude and corpse when referring to that particular person, thanks.

Not to be pedantic, but he actually was dead while on the cross. :)

Just for the case of clearing the issue, the Orthodox church uses both symbols. My baptism cross (a present given by your God fathers when you are getting baptized in the orthodox church) does have the body of Christ on it. And we have many many crosses with the body on it as symbols in the churches. Moreover we have a ceremony during the Friday of the easter, that we call Apocathelosis, which is the removal of the body from the cross and interment to the tomb which in essence retells the story (don't know if Catholics do the same).

Most certainly we do. :) Eastern Catholic Churches (I'm most familiar with the Melkites) have a fascinating blend of both. :)

Also the Byzantine symbol in the game is not the accurate one and I have yet to see the new Piety window :)

My apologies, but it's 'close enough' with my limited knowledge.

My knowledge of protestant Catholicism fails me at the moment. Perhaps I need to visit a temple here if there is one and check, however I remember seeing a cross in Sweden that had the body on it too.

No real issue, really. ;) And, again, I am talking much more about 'Evangelical Protestantism' (such as Baptists) than the closer-to-Catholicism Lutherans and Anglicans.

I can just say that I have had Protestant friends and acquaintances many times freak out at the sight of the crucifix above/behind the altar at Catholic churches. I would imagine that they would have a similar reaction to an Orthodox iconostasis.

Anyway IDK really know if you get the info from CiV exclusively but body or no body is not an exclusive symbol of Catholicism. All Christians after all knowledge the fact of the crucifixion.

Yeah. I guess a better way to put it is this way:

"First, Orthodox has a unique and immediately-recognizable-as-such cross that they use for that symbol, so no confusion. The easiest and fastest way to differentiate between Latin Rite and Protestant Christians is the crucifix/cross distinction, to my way of thinking."

The only other option is to use the Pope's miter or something, which would be unique but not evocative. You could also use an icon of the Theotokos (sp?), but that would hardly differentiate Orthodox from Catholic....

It seems they handle religion as it is geographically spread today and not as it was on a national basis, thats why Monty will be a Catholic it seems.

More specifically, it works like this: If the religion most common in the area during the time in which a civilization's leader ruled is on the list, then they prefer that religion. If not, then they prefer the religion most common in that area today. So, yes, Monty is Catholic now.

Top Bottom