Chronicles of Mankind

Tiny, but 12 civs get 4-5 cities.
Yeah, the mod is designed for bigger (and slower maps), so no wonder that you find Architect and Barn/Grange/Granary are so strong. I believe that on bigger maps they are less impactful.
Also, civic and city maintenance are much more costly on bigger maps.

no wonder that you find Architect and Barn/Grange/Granary are so strong.
Difference between -50% and -70% growth discount is a jump from 200% food effectiveness multiplier to 333%, making those late -20% worth more than initial -50%. Implications for momentum stay significant on any map size as long as you are not at happiness cap and it's always worth to spam slingers to keep growing.
Also, civic and city maintenance are much more costly on bigger maps.
I'm aware, it's quite good as is, at least before improvement yields are raised by tech and snowballing becomes too easy. I just think it would be much healthier to shift some of it into baseline civic maintenance per pop so there's more time for lagging civs to close the gap with economically successfull ones by war while extra pops barely provide surplus (they still allow flexibility and that's good enough). I know that the same can be achieved by slower speed, but that would be bad for multiplayer, at least if you want to play through multiple eras. Not that it matters with how constant OOS are.

Difference between -50% and -70% growth discount is a jump from 200% food effectiveness multiplier to 333%, making those late -20% worth more than initial -50%. Implications for momentum stay significant on any map size as long as you are not at happiness cap and it's always worth to spam slingers to keep growing.
Actually you are completely right. But that was the whole point of trait buildings: Make traits more different so they mean different strategies.
After all not everyone has access to Barns, only Agrarians but they miss out on something else.
So I'm still happy with the way it is. I don't want to reduce the effect into "meaningless".

But I'm very happy for your feedback :)

I don't want to reduce the effect into "meaningless".
You don't have to, in this case the solution is just to make Grange replace Barn, until you abandon Palace Economy (which is never worth it while you have growing cities).

You don't have to, in this case the solution is just to make Grange replace Barn, until you abandon Palace Economy (which is never worth it while you have growing cities).
Hmm... I'll consider that. Or something similar at least but I like the base idea.

A sub-forum was created 🙂
I'll create some new threads there when I have time (but I'm busy in the next few days).

I have opened a new thread for corporations:

You can find some more information about them.
You can also help me if you want :)

If anyone would like to help with the development of the mod, there is a possibility for that:

I'm still working on this and I am thinking about corporation stores: Perhaps it would be better and more balanced, if corp.buildings didn't give +x% bonus with resources but just a flat +x bonus.
What do you think?

I'm still working on this and I am thinking about corporation stores: Perhaps it would be better and more balanced, if corp.buildings didn't give +x% bonus with resources but just a flat +x bonus.
What do you think?
yes, flat small bonus is better

i have a games on your mode where simply corp building give more :science: then accelerator (if i good remember 80 science points - moonbean coffeshop vs 60 from acc. xDD)

It would also be nice if you somehow balanced the transhumanist era, discovering technologies in 2-3 turns on normal speed seriously kills the fun of the game

It would also be nice if you somehow balanced the transhumanist era, discovering technologies in 2-3 turns on normal speed seriously kills the fun of the game
I think cutting back on corporations is a good start. We'll see after the update if it's enough or not but I'm open to suggestions. Where do you see the problem laying?

I think cutting back on corporations is a good start. We'll see after the update if it's enough or not but I'm open to suggestions. Where do you see the problem laying?
I've already written about this several times: too low a cost of technology in the transhumanist era and too much bonus for research.

either reduce the bonuses to reasonable levels or increase the cost of each technology by about 3-4 times

additionally you get research points from trade. add to it corporations. when you have 10-12 cities it is not so conspicuous but when you have 40 cities you have 10-15 000 research points per turn and you discover techs in one or two turns.

(or 100 - 150 000 I haven't played your mod for a long time. as long as up to modern times the game can still get away with it, then the lack of balance becomes unbearable)

You can also think about raw bonuses not based on percentage bonus, because I could have cities with population of 90-110 each and each gave a gigantic number of points of everything.

the main blame I would put on the farmscrapers (seriously as many as three levels? instead +40:food: of that you could do for example +0,3 food from farm field extra per lvl and +1 from farm tile total if farmscraper is maxed) and those fish nests whole

such a large amount of food is not possible to produce in this way: we are currently struggling in the world more with the fact that there are not enough minerals in the earth so that the food produced is of increasingly poor quality

the same with the marine fauna: by poisoning the planet, for example, the coral reefs are dying out leading to the fact that we have less and less fish and marine resources. i prefer not to think what it will look like in 50-100 years if we keep up this pace and do nothing about it

Last edited:
the main blame I would put on the farmscrapers (seriously as many as three levels? instead +40:food: of that you could do for example +0,3 food from farm field extra per lvl and +1 from farm tile total if farmscraper is maxed) and those fish nests whole
3 levels? Farm scrapers don't have 3 levels for a very long time. Was changed in AND2 even before CoM.

such a large amount of food is not possible to produce in this way: we are currently struggling in the world more with the fact that there are not enough minerals in the earth so that the food produced is of increasingly poor quality

the same with the marine fauna: by poisoning the planet, for example, the coral reefs are dying out leading to the fact that we have less and less fish and marine resources. i prefer not to think what it will look like in 50-100 years if we keep up this pace and do nothing about it
I totally agree with this. However it is very hard to simulate that in the proper way without being just too punishing.
But I have a quick idea:
From the modern era onward random events will appear that cause different penalties (-1 :food: here, a destroyed Farm there, etc). We already have several events but these would be more frequent than the usual events. And you could totally avoid them just by running Green civic. How does that sound?

From the modern era onward random events will appear that cause different penalties (-1 :food: here, a destroyed Farm there, etc). We already have several events but these would be more frequent than the usual events. And you could totally avoid them just by running Green civic. How does that sound?
if you want to solve it this way then you could just give -1 or minus two to the farm from some technology and the green option would make you get +2 to the farm but in my opinion this is form over substance.

maybe just maybe farmscraper would give +10 :food:and leave it that way? (with fish net it would give +20 what give you in theory additional +4? farm tiles)

green civic is more under :health: at the cost of money. maybe some bonus to :c5happy: but at transhuman era you have many happines-add buildings

However it is very hard to simulate that in the proper way without being just too punishing.
umm global warning event? greenlands turn into plains and later into deserts? it just needs few additional layers of coding
it maybe was possible to expand further and remove resources of food and land / water fauna
(but it must be written better then "deplete resources" option from BUG menu because in this if "deplete" happen you lose all resources and you want remove food resources only from town who have too big population / pollution)

something like: if :yuck: is bigger then (lets say)10 then you have 2% chance per turn that you lose food resource who town control. if bigger 20 :yuck: then 4%
if :yuck: is less by some number (in my example - 10) nothing happen
player get notification "by <town_city_name> produced pollution you lose <food_resource>!" ; player lose one resource.
with mine you have chance to spawn resource, in second side it should work too.maybe.
thanks it even if you play in ancient era too much population in town will end that they literally eat all resources. (not by pollution, by overpopulation of town)

you can even try to combine it with ecology and when a country has too much pollution AI try to build buildings that increase :health: and changescivics on more eco-friendly

transhuman buildings give too much :health: and :c5happy: if i good remember from this mod. but when you release new version i try it and write what i would change

Last edited:
if you want to solve it this way then you could just give -1 or minus two to the farm from some technology and the green option would make you get +2 to the farm but in my opinion this is form over substance.
My problem with this approach is that tech usually mean an 'advancement' and not a penalty (except for obsolescence of buildings). I want something, that the player has a control over: run green civic or risk disasters.

Otherwise you have good ideas. I have thought of many similar things as well but the problem is that I'm not a programmer, so most of these ideas are beyond my reach 😕

But keep up with the brainstorming. It may lead to something useful
:thumbsup:

I am having trouble getting the Mega Civ pack to work. I have downloaded it and the patch - using steam, I extract it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Chronicles of Mankind\Assets and also patch/overwrite. COM seems to work fine when I load up and add that mod, but the Mega Civs arent available. I have tried adding those assets everywhere and still no luck? Any ideas? Am I missing a setting or toggle or something for it to be recognized by COM?

Hi, thanks for the response. I have done that with Chronicles of Mankind and it works great, but I do not see the Mega Civ pack to add (I embedded it in the COM assets), and the Mega Civ pack civs dont show up in the playable civs when setting up a game. Is there somewhere I need to install them or some setting to adjust?

Top Bottom