Chronicles of Mankind

Huh, that might be interesting to play around with.

Huh, that might be interesting to play around with.
Than you can help me with brainstorming. 🙂
At least 2 or 3 more would be needed to make it interesting.

Than you can help me with brainstorming. 🙂
At least 2 or 3 more would be needed to make it interesting.
Sure. I'll have to wait for another day off, and take another look at Oligarchy. But sounds interesting.

Why? They are obsoleted, after all.

Also, why does animals take terrain damage when they are captured, when they did not take terrain damage when they were free? This makes capturing animals on desert/tundra/ice almost meaningless, since the animal will just die the next turn after being captured.

Also, the "Plant herd" ability of captured animals does not provide a resource of the animal. tried with camels, beavers, bulls...

Last edited:
Also, why does animals take terrain damage when they are captured, when they did not take terrain damage when they were free?
Because they are wounded/need to be fed. But you can change captured versions strength to 0 so they won't get damaged.
This makes capturing animals on desert/tundra/ice almost meaningless
It's absolutely meaningless, since AIs can't hunt systematically and multiplayer is broken.
Also, the "Plant herd" ability of captured animals does not provide a resource of the animal. tried with camels, beavers, bulls...
If chance is 0%, there's a hidden bonus on the tile. Otherwise it's a 20% gamble.

Why? They are obsoleted, after all.
Ask Sid Meier :dunno:

Also, why does animals take terrain damage when they are captured, when they did not take terrain damage when they were free? This makes capturing animals on desert/tundra/ice almost meaningless, since the animal will just die the next turn after being captured.
I'll have to look after it. Do you happen to have a save file I can check, please?

Yes, it does but there are some rules: you can't settle 2 of the same resource next to each other and you cannot settle it on top of another resource that you may not have discovered yet (Uranium for example). Also, you can't settle them on any terrain, only on those that can normally spawn the animal.

Iirc they don't count, also it's a RoM feature.
I'll have to look after it. Do you happen to have a save file I can check, please?
Some have strength, so they are treated like all units. Civilians like racoons don't get damaged.

Iirc they don't count, also it's a RoM feature.
Really? I didn't remember that. Well... I haven't played vanilla Civ4 for... 15 years?

Some have strength, so they are treated like all units. Civilians like racoons don't get damaged.
I know that but I want to check if the "native to... " promotion could save them from damage.
0 strength will result in the complaint of "How could a lynx kill my captured elephant?! :gripe::cry:"

Pretty sure Wonder limits are not in vanilla Civ IV, that is only for National Wonders, and those never obsolete, at least to my knowledge.

It has happened several times in my current game. Capture a camel on desert, next turn it is gone, if it took too much damage in the fight to subdue it. It should be easy to reproduce. In world builder, put a captured animal on desert (with terrain damage on), press "next turn", and see that it takes damage.

Yes, it does but there are some rules: you can't settle 2 of the same resource next to each other and you cannot settle it on top of another resource that you may not have discovered yet (Uranium for example). Also, you can't settle them on any terrain, only on those that can normally spawn the animal.

Ok, so the 2 of the same next to each other explains this when I tried with a captured camel. It does not explain why my bull did not spawn a cow resource, as I expected it to do. I checked the tile in world builder, and the tile does not contain any resources, or the cow resource on an adjacent tile (although the tile has a red ring on it, and I don't know why, or what that means). Maybe not all animals with this ability can become a resource on the map?

0 strength will result in the complaint of "How could a lynx kill my captured elephant?!

Why not give all captured animals immunity to all terrain damage?

It does not explain why my bull did not spawn a cow resource, as I expected it to do. I checked the tile in world builder, and the tile does not contain any resources, or the cow resource on an adjacent tile (although the tile has a red ring on it, and I don't know why, or what that means). Maybe not all animals with this ability can become a resource on the map?
There's a 20% chance to plant a resource, 4 out of 5 times it will fail. It's WAD.

Pretty sure Wonder limits are not in vanilla Civ IV, that is only for National Wonders, and those never obsolete, at least to my knowledge.
No clue on vanilla Civ IV, but base BtS is 4 wonders/2NW per city. IIRC, there's also a city size req for that as well.

question:
transhuman era problem with :science: was repaired or still you can discover new techs in 1-2 turns compared to medival or indrustal era when you need ~10 or 15 turns to discover new tech

in my opinion, each of these options should look like this
Autocracy:
-- stability
++ production
+ culture
- gold

Oligarchy:
++gold
+culture
-production
--science

Democracy
+++Stability
--production
-gold
+culture
-science

If you wish i can make small check on net to be more precise about these three

Last edited:
question:
transhuman era problem with :science: was repaired or still you can discover new techs in 1-2 turns compared to medival or indrustal era when you need ~10 or 15 turns to discover new tech
I can't answer it myself. Haven't played/tested the trans-human era for a long time. Anyone else?

Actually dictatorships (autocracies) are far more stable than democracies. Democracies are easier to exploit.

Top Bottom