City States Leaders II

@Nutty I already posted new version. I looked at all things added recently in VP, compared luas and xmls and moved few things to CSL. For now it works. Mod is overwriting the default file from VP or UCS (so there is vanilla under VP under UCS under CSL :p) so any changes from you or me are on top.

Robert III, Count of Flanders. With this new artwork popping up for city states, I've become interested now in these people that before had no face. :)

Yeah, this stuff gives you so much flavour, and now CSs are not just robots. @ryanmusante Any quick thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
Yeah, this stuff gives you so much flavour, and now CSs are not just robots. @ryanmusante Any quick thoughts or suggestions?
@adan_eslavo
Could the backgrounds of each city state's artwork match the color assignment per meaningful colors? If the color itself is a distraction to what the artist intended, than just a ringed edge within {i.e. #CC79C7 ringed edge for Leluh}. It could correspond to the meaningful colors designation. #CC79C7 is Pink~Violet which is cultured. I don't know if the colors are finalized yet but for the existing city-states they should be set.

No, I don't believe they've updated the EUI for VP yet. EDIT: It looks like the compatibility fixes were updated on GitHub a few days ago... EDIT #2: but NOT the City-State part... yet?
https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues/4369

@Nutty
That particular github is a part of the discussion for EUI merging. Are some of the new updates included in the latest VP patch?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-10-01 03-21-09.png
    Screenshot from 2018-10-01 03-21-09.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot from 2018-10-01 03-41-28.png
    Screenshot from 2018-10-01 03-41-28.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
@ryanmusante Changing background would mean interfering into all of arts. I honestly don't have enough 1. time, 2. skill to do that. I think colours can stay as they are. Rest of art is predefined and use simple lua code matching culture/religious etc city states with the "frame" for leader picture. Now there are 5 of them and all are gold. Adding rings wouldn't be such a good idea I suppose. Maybe I will try for one and check how it looks like. Problem would be also with centering all pictures. Current frames have some kind of tolerance and centering and sizing the picture may not be ideal. With ideal circular rings it will not be so simple. All art would need to be resized and fit again.

I would only mess with leaders as leaders names and pictures only. Let's leave Meaningful Colours for its own. Its main purpose is to make CSs colours noticable on the map and on the right panel. Coloured name in CS view is only fine addition.

If you can see serious disalignment of picture tell me which and I will fix that.

Next version: I changed Odenso leader to Gustaf Mannerheim - more militaristic leader than neutral Kekkonen.

Next version: I changed Odenso leader to Gustaf Mannerheim - more militaristic leader than neutral Kekkonen.
Indeed, Mannerheim is quite the formidable guy compared to Kekkonen. If not for this mod, I wouldn't have even researched to know this. Are these city state entries in civilopedia?

Re: coloring the rings, before recruiting the art team for the CSL2 leaders where we did colored backgrounds, I experimented with different ways of coloring the rings: tinting them, putting glows behind them, etc., and I wasn't able to come up with a solution that looked any good. But even without that, there's the topper art around the ring and the icon with colored text on the popup itself that distinguish the CS trait.

No there are no civilopedia entries. Im not best person to write something. Some text could be copied from original mods, but... I don't know if authors would agree.

Since you're not the one adding the CSs themselves, it seems a little weird to add the pedia entries, but in any case, the modiquette default stance is that you can use stuff from mods unless the authors are explicit that they don't want to share (ahem, like you did with this mod), though it's nice to ask. You could also just lift the text from Wikipedia, however from experience I know that's quite a tedious endeavor [where some will have a nice summary, and some won't].

It looks like you missed the fact that I had done a few of these CSs already, though I guess it's a bit late now. ;)

I saw that link once, but I suppose that neither of those mods you've integrated are VP/UCS compatible? Also I can see that most of city-states are fictional. I think that both mods are used by different kind of users, so no loss for you or me.

...(ahem, like you did with this mod)...
I don't understand what you meant here. Could you elaborate? Sorry, if I rushed that mod to quickly.

Last edited:
As for the CS mods pack, I just meant some of the art could have/could be reused. It only seemed like they were mostly fictional because there were a lot of fictional one-offs, but most of the coverage was not fictional.

As for the "ahem," I should have had a winky-face there, but to be honest I did have a bit of cognitive dissonance when you said "I don't know if authors would agree" [to have their work copied]. But I really didn't mean to be snarky about it. Nearly all of my mods are built on others' work (they all are if you count the game developers), and I'm glad that something I spent a lot of energy and time on continues to evolve.

Hey all! Is there a chance to get this wonderful mod working with City State Diplomacy Mod from Gazebo? I started both mods and I get no Leader Pictures. I know that CSD is a part of Vox Populi...

@Wololo_Priest Look at my signature. I made version fuly compatible with VP (CP, SBP, CSD etc).

@Nutty I'm a bit surprised... am I the first non-english native player trying this mod?
I receive missing dds file errors when meeting city states, because your code:

local strTraitText = GetCityStateTraitText(minorPlayerID);
local traitIcon = nil;
if bnw_mode then
traitIcon = "CityStatePopupTopCSLBNW".. strTraitText ..".dds";
get the translated string, so "strTraitText" is not "Mercantile" but "Kaufmännisch" in german, resulting in missing dds error.
I will try to find a solution for this, but of course it would be better if you would solve this, since you are more into your code :D

edit:
I used "MINOR_TRAIT_CULTURED" now, so :
local traittype = GameInfo.MinorCivTraits[trait].Type;
local traitIcon = "CityStatePopupTopCSLBNW".. traittype ..".dds";
and renamed the dds files arcordingly

Last edited:
missing dds error
Oh my gosh! Good catch. There was a guy on Steam who I think had the issue, but if I recall he was being a bit of a jerk, so I never got any help resolving it.

Are you not using Enhanced UI? CSL has now been included there (and it doesn't have this issue).

Top Bottom